Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 06:56 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Top things you like about your success

In quite a few of the other threads I look at, people start top ten lists about why they want to lose weight or what they will do when they lose weight so I thought it was logical in the success folder to put down some top things that have been neat for those of us who have had success, i.e. what has losing weight meant to you already whereas in the other threads they are talking about what they think losing weight will mean to them. Note it doesn't have to be ten and you don't have to have reached your goal weight but if you feel you are successfully losing and living a lifestyle that supports the weight you want to get to that is fine. Of if you want to think about what success will be like for you as the other threads do, go right ahead.

Ok so here are some of the things that have changed for me since my weight loss. I have gone from 330lbs to ~190lbs in the last 2 and half years. No particular order.

1) No more 'big mens' stores. Horrid selection of clothes even though I basically dress in jeans and tshirts, they had bad jeans.

2) Related to #1, being able to fit into all types of regular sized Levis again. I like Levis.

3) Having a lot more energy throughout the day to spend on work, play, relaxing, doing active things.

4) Feeling mentally better. I just seem to have fewer 'downs' now perhaps because my body is at a more even keel internally and is functioning better mentally at my lower weight. I also stopped eating all red meats and poultry 3 months ago (not a weight loss decision) and I have felt better and better since doing that.

5) Feeling like a physical being again. I am a Ph.D. student so I am always engaged in a lot of fun mental activity but I also was extremly active in sports growing up and in hiking. I got away from that a bit while I got overweight but I am active again. I just went on a pretty strenous 8mile hike the other day in the plus 90 degree Texas heat and I was fine and really enjoyed it and woke up the next day with no soreness. Needless to say I could not have done that at 330lbs. It is so easy for people who even are not particularly overweight to lose a connection with their physicallness. We ride to work, sit at desks, come home sit at computers or watch T.V. But we are physical beings and we have remarkable bodies and it just feels damm good to be a physical presence in the world again.

6) Mentioned in #5, but doing much, much, much better in the heat. I use to live in the San Fernando Valley (get use to hearing a lot more about it with scession from L.A. for those of you who don't know where it is) and it got hot in the summers and I really suffered. I am now in Central Texas and it is hot in the summers and spring and fall. I am doing so much better with less weight. I also really keep hydrated but now when its 95 it doesn't feel great but it also doesn't feel bad anymore which is a really nice and wonderful thing for me.

7) I am 36 soon, really soon 37 and I am in the best shape of my life. Those of you who haven't go to the exericse folder and look at the L.A. times article I posted on exercise. It points out that you can be in the best shape of your life at any age even in your 80s and you can develop muscle mass at any age as well.

8) I'd like to say it has had a huge impact socially, and it probably has in subtle ways. I was always pretty friendly and I love how I look now so it will probably help in relationships if nothing more then I feel much more comfortable in how I look.

9) Feeling like I won't get diabetes and other health related problems associated with being overweight.

10) Looks like I will end on 10 anyway. Just being able to do more day in day out, and being able to do things I want to do, like play full court basketball for a couple of hours or do an 8 mile hike which would have been impossible before.

11) Hah fooled you, number 11. Having cute girls smile at me when I go out.

Larry

Old 06-24-2002, 05:14 PM   #2  

Default Great TOPIC!

Hi! Larry ~
What a great topic! This is perfect motivation. I am starting a weight loss plan this week.

I weigh 190 pounds (but am only 5'5" and female). So I am eager to feel better and look better!!

I really hope more people respond to this post, it is very encouraging to know what I can look forward to besides a better body!

I loves #11 - I wouldnt mind having cute boys smile at me (okay, so I am married, but smiles NEVER hurt!!)
Old 06-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #3  
'Per Ardua ad Astra'

Great Thread idea, Hmmmmm, I have lost 100 lbs and here is what I like the best:

1.) Respect? I don't know the right word for what I feel, but people take me seriously now, rather than looking at me like I am out of control in some way and it has manifested itself in fat. This happens everywhere, grocery stores, work, meeting new people, making major purchases, I love it. It is the #1 thing I like about being thin.

2.) Thinking I am beautiful. Not model beautiful but "best for who I am beautiful".

3.) Confidence. This ties into 1 & 2 I carry myself different, straighter, with pride. I am not scared to engage in new situations or activities and I expect to succeed.

4.) Feeling in control of my life. I did a LOT of journalling along the way and I have learned a thing or two about myself and developed better coping strategies for problems in my life. This doesn't mean I never slip up, just that I now know how to catch myself.

5.) Being physically able to participate in things i.e. swimming, hikes, bike rides, wrestling with the kids, helping a friend move. Being strong is GREAT!

6.) Buying the perfect outfit, instead of being grateful that something/anything fit.

7.) Dressing for the weather rather than covering my body from head to toe and sweating to death.

8.) Ok this one is truly awful, shows just what kind of person I still have to work at not being. I love how my husband HATES other men looking at me. I love how powerful it makes me feel. Bad eh? On the plus side, I don't enjoy other men looking at me nearly as much as I thought I would.

9.) Last but not least, Sex, very good when I was fat, even better now that I am thin.

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:27 AM   #4  

Default I can relate!

flatlander, I can soo relate to what you said about people treating you differently. When I was 75 lbs overweight I tried not to believe it was because of me, of my appearance that people seemed indifferent, even rude. As I lost the weight and people's treatment of me changed, I thought, well, losing the weight has put a rosy glow on every aspect of my life and it just seems like people are nicer. Finally I had to admit the truth, that it wasn't my imagination. As I've regained about 20 lbs of the lost weight I can see the same pattern happening. It's as though I'm just not quite as smart and they think they can condescend to me or be downright rude and I'm too fat and dumb to notice. Case in point, the Walmart recently lost a roll of film we had dropped off to be developed. The woman asked me "Is this how you write your name?" Huh? No, I use other hand for things like turning in film so that it will be completely illegible and get lost and we can have these frustrating fruitless searches and inane conversations. (I thought it, didn't say it, wish I had) The form I filled out for lost film had a place for my phone number, she asked me no less than 3 times if I put my number on it? I finallly asked her is there some reason why you feel that this film was lost due to some stupidity on my part? She said "Ma'am I can call a manager, I don't have to take abuse from you." !!!!!!!!

About carrying yourself straighter, with more pride, that's the course I've decided to take now. Even though I'm not back where I want to be yet, I'm living and acting as though I am. Sort of the "fake it til you make it" philosophy.

I'm down 3 pounds and have stayed OP for 10 days, that's my success story for now. I plan to expand on it and get back to goal. Already I feel so much better physically and mentally. In control of myself again.
great day to all
upandaway
Old 06-25-2002, 10:32 AM   #5  

Today, I weigh 199 pounds. I weighed 275 pounds 2 years ago. This is my first day in the 100s in almost six years, I think I'm ready to say sucess, (at least partial is mine). I still have 50 to lose, but the changes I already see are quite profound.

I'm getting checked out again. I passed some invisible threshold where men took me off the "invisible due to fat" list and put me on the "cute" list again" Now, I'm happily married, but when I'm out alone, or just with DH absent, I get so much more help in stores, friendly chit-chat in the produce section. I had forgotten what power attractiveness holds over people.

I hiked a few miles this weekend with a 35 pound pack and had very little fatigue, I could see Pride in my husband's eyes as we hiked up to 5800 feet to see the view, we chatted as we walked and he was more out of breath than I was. I have this image of myself as a sporty outdoorsey kind of girl, but the weight was warping that ideal self, I will so happily embrace it again.

Clothing is much more fun now, silly I know but wearing 16s and having them be loose and comfortable, feeling my belly flatter when I lay on my side, these things are the priceless perks. I don't have to damage control everytime I open my closet. I tuck in some of my shirts now!

I feel so much better about the example I am setting for my children, my DD is 5 and she is really curious about fat and dieting and protein and carbs, I am trying really hard to give her good information. To explain to her why I have to take all her pants in, she being thin for her height, and I need to watch what I eat, me being fat for my height and how in the end healthy is what matters.

Sex rocks!- not to be too explicit, but when you feel good in your own skin, it just feels better.

Pictures- I am so absent from pictures for this first 5 years of my kid's lives, and now I'm saying "get a picture of me, here, and here, and here"

I sleep better, have more lucid dreams, wake up faster, need less coffee, smile more, laugh more, my house is cleaner (I'm not sure why), I feel more positive about the future.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:32 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

Default Thanks for the responses

Glad this thread is bringing people back into the success forum. It use to be days between posts here.

Sundrop great point about sleeping better I had forgotten about that. I use to snore a lot and I was always kind of tired more days then not. I probably had some form of sleep apena due to the excess weight. But I sleep much better now then I use to.

I can also relate to the out of breath experience. One of the kick in the behind to get me to live healthier (I still to this day try not to characterize what I did as a 'diet' since I thought of it as making changes in how I live) was being out of breath walking to a basketball game with a friend. I couldn't keep up him with him for more then a block. It was embarassing and scary. So going from being out of breath in a block to doing an 8 mile hike without any real difficulties is a good thing.

I also find it easier to eat badly every once in a while now and have not a real noticable effect in my weight. Not sure if that last sentence makes sense but it seems like my metabolism is up from exercising better and it buffers me when I eat badly now. Exercise is so much easier to do now and a lot more enjoyable.

I will also second the mental clarity. I think enough excess weight can make you mentally sluglish or at least reduce the amount of time when you are functioning near your peak in any given day. So more time mentally clear is also a neat benefit.

Larry

Old 06-25-2002, 03:45 PM   #7  
'Per Ardua ad Astra'

This is a great thread! Thanks, Larry!

I also find it easier to have a "eatmore" day without guilt or ill effect. I also never viewed the changes I made as a "diet", they where lifesyle alterations. I wanted to be healthy vs. pretty so I modified my eating, journalled my feelings and began exercising.

Sundrop, Way to go, girl! The first time I shopped for regular size pants I had to leave the store. I forgot how many choices there were out there and was literally too confused by the 50 different styles on the rack at Winners to make a decision. I always let my picture be taken but in most of my plus size shots I have a helpless child held hostage in front of me. Who was I kidding? No four year old could hide my hips!

Monique, OMG, I forgot about the boob thing! That is also one of my number one loves! I can eat a meal and not leave evidence on the "crumb shelf", My husband called it "feeding the twins", that and the first thing I do when I get home from work is NOT take off my bra and breathe a sigh of relief. I still am a D cup so I still can't buy any bra I want, but you are so right, It is wonderful not to strap on a tankdriver special first thing in the morning! Yay!!

Did anybody's feet get smaller? I went down a shoe size, no kidding.

upandaway, it is so not in your imagination! People are ignorant to people fatter than themselves. I wonder if it is worse for women than it is for men?

I have one more:

Crossing your legs
The first time I crossed my legs and they actually crossed, I mean really crossed, not just jammed up at the thigh, I was blown away. I must have crossed and uncrossed them 20 times.

Well it was wonderful reading your thoughts and experiences, thanks for sharing!

Ciao for now,

Last edited by flatlander; 06-25-2002 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #8  

Default Too many perks to mention!

Well I rarely post in any other threads but I was looking through the threads today and saw this one! I can relate to so many things! lol I was 194 lbs and in a size 16-18. A few times I even bought a size 20 ugh! I cant explain it but its like I woke up from a "fat coma" this Feb. 2002. NOTHING fit me anymore! I was down to a few stretch shorts and X-large tshirts. All my "thin clothes" were packed in my closet in suitcases. I knew what I had to do I was just dreading it lol. But I got up that morning Feb 10 and went for a 20 min walk. Bought all my fruits,veggies,lean ground turkey etc..... I took a before picture and took my measurements that day. As of my last weigh in last week I weighed 148 lbs and wear a size 9!
I took out my old clothes and put them in order of sizes. I went down the line from 16/14/12 and now a 9/10 . I'm looking forward to my weigh in saturday! I have about 18 lbs to reach goal. NO MORE ,back pains, knee pains,out of breath,over sleeping. No more oversleeping!

In No Particular Order#-
#1 I feel good about myself

#2 I have so much energy

#3 I look forward to parks,beach,parties

#4 Sex is WAYYYYYYYYY Better,if people knew how much better,
everyone would be losing weight! lol

#5 Young guys checking me out now? lol I'm happily married but
nice to know I'm suddenly visible again !

#6 I LOVE shopping and asking my husband for something in the
Junior Dept!

#7 I sleep so good at night

#8 My 5 yr old did something she never could,wrap her
hands around my waist and tell me they overlap!

#9 I now wear thongs and they look good!

#10 hmm, did I say the sex was better? lol
Last but not least, I decided to do this for myself . First for me!
That is something so important. I have tried to do this before for my family, my husband etc.... It doesnt work. When you realize that you need to really love yourself to feed yourself right.That's the beginning.I wish everyone here the best in their journey.

Gen
194/148/130
Old 07-02-2002, 04:44 PM   #9  
I'm back again

Great thread diamondgeorg.... I'm new to this forum and all of the replies I've read today have helped me to REMEMBER why I want to lose this extra weight! Thanks to all of you for your candid replies.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:37 AM   #10  

What a great thread! In this time of sweltering heat in the northeast, I've got to say that I don't miss my thighs rubbing together!!
Old 07-03-2002, 09:27 AM   #11  

I am so much happier with myself!!!! I have just started and have lost 28.4 pounds since April 20. I am so positive. My kids tell me that my mood is much better. They put it differently, but can't use that word in the forum.

I am slowly losing pounds and inches and am having so much fun doing it.

The work is definately worth it.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:26 AM   #12  

Wink

Hi, Larry
I love this subject, because I am always thinking of things that are better now than before, and it is a good idea to share how we now feel instead of only looking at how difficult the process of loosing and maintaining is . I think that we must hang on to these thoughts of wellness to help us from falling into any temptations.

Here I am submitting my list in particular order which. I would love to share this with you guys after loosing 70 pounds and working on continuing my success especially with the help of all my 3fc pals.

1) My seatbelt actually does not choke me, and I don't have to fight with it to go around me.

2) I can blend into a room when I walk in, instead of everyone starring as if the circus act had just arrived.

3) I can run down the stairs to put on a load of laundry without gasping for air.

4) I actually got on a roller coaster more than once this summer
for the first time without fear that the guard of the ride would not hold me in or even worse fearing that they would tell me I could not get on the ride because of my weight.

5) I find jeans that really fit and look nice, people tell me so!.

6) They tell me I look 10 years younger. (I don't know if I believe that one yet.)

7) I can actually shop in any Department Store not just those stores specializing in large sizes. (What a feeling!!)

8) I am up to any physical activity anyone comes up with.
What do you say? A game of basketball, Let go!!

9) I can sit in the back of any car without getting stuck or shaking the whole car.

10) I am looking forward to learning how to roller blade.

11) I showed all these people that were telling me I could not do it. That Yes I can. Yes I can. Yes I can.

12) I can park my car far away without complaining all the way to the entrance that I parked too far.

13) I actually had a Summer in which I did not get migranes because of the heat and my weight. I am also looking forward to fall clothes that fit.

Well that is my list, good luck to all and lets help eachother keep of the good work.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:27 PM   #13  

Although I have a long way to go still, the little pleasures are so big right now, I thought I would post too.

Here's my list, in no special order:

1. My daughter walked up behind me last night and didn't realize it was me! I looked 'thinner' --

2. Clothes shopping, of course. Being able to be back in the regular dept. yippee!!

3. Not sweating as much. My health had gotten so bad that any energy at all caused me to sweat terribly.

4. Not as hot natured in general. I'm cold a lot now. My feet esp. before I was always warm.

5. Going along with the being to warm theme, I am now wearing my hair down more. I have long hair and always have had to keep it up b/c I got so hot. Last night, all night, it was down and I was looking good!

6. Stairs -- no prob!

7. My husband and how he looks at me, both with pride and

8. How thin my stomach feels and how strong it is when I sit up. I actually have stomach muscles!

9. Crossing my legs (been a long time).

Well, that's it for now, as I continue to lose more, I'm sure my list will grow.

I am so thankful to God for providing a way out of my misery. All praise and glory to Him!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:04 AM   #14  

God this is great! Top 10 things i love about the weight loss

10)Being able to park my car in my parking spot and walking home with out being tired.
9)Going to kickboxing class and looking like im suppose to be in that class.(fit) Its the best feeling when your looking in the mirror and you say wow i dont look so bad.
8)Wearing thongs
7)Shopping in the the misses department in department stores
6)When walking around i get to hold my head up rather then hoping no one talks to me, i start the conversations
5)Being able to work out the gym and feeling comfortable.
4) Going out to a resteraunt and not feeling as if everyone is talking about me.
3)going on public transportation and just taking one seat and having a little left over
2)working on getting rid of my sleep apnea! Im almost there i can feel it!
1) Wearing tight shirts and fitting into some of my sisters clothing. She has an amazing body so i it feels great!
And finally having this really hot guy notice me for the first time! He looked at my chest twice...lol
Old 10-15-2002, 08:50 PM   #15  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Angry I'm loving it too

He everyone -

Since becoming a member here in Feb., have lost 30 lbs. of fat and have gained muscle and have tone and am loving it!!

After reading everyone else's replies, I could have copied them all! So many similar reasons. But I made myself make my own list

1. Confidence in just so many different aspects. Just walking into a room, a store, and not feeling self-conscious.

2. Having great blood-pressure readings and resting heart rate (checked every two months when I donate blood)

3. Being able to do my exercise videos with enthusiasm.

4. Seeing the size 6 on my jeans tag, and looking for the "S" on tops/shirts.

5. Wearing black leather pants when I ride my motorcycle.

6. Hearing people scoff when I say I have a 19-ye-old son, and have been married for 23 years.

7. Liking pictures taken of me!

8. Seeing daylight between my thighs!!!!

9. Being proud that my husband likes other men looking at me...because I go home with him

8. Better s*x life that when I was 20! (I'm almost 42)

9. Look forward to going to the beach/lake, instead of making excuses.

10. Actually having the CORRECT weight on my driver's license!

Alot of the above sound vain, but heck, that's a big part of it, isn't it. But the main thing is loving yourself, and coming to a point where you do love yourself, and revel in it, and life!

Holly (Feb. 4, 2002 - 176 lbs., size 14 / Oct. 15, 143 lbs., size 6)
Closed Thread