Old 08-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default SBD Holiday Dessert Recipes (various phases)

I'll sticky this. Maybe I'll make a couple of threads for different sections...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:25 PM   #2  

I haven't tried these yet but I got them off another forum and they sound good.

Angel Food Cake (A Heavenly Holiday Cake)

From South Beach Diet Online's The Daily Dish 12/20/03: What could be more fitting for Christmas than a South Beach Diet-friendly Angel Food Cake? This delicious, Phase 2 recipe was contributed by online member Kathy from Sequim, Washington.

1 3/4 cups egg whites (about 12-14 large eggs), divided
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups Splenda, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Carefully separate eggs, making certain there is no yolk in the egg whites (otherwise the whites will not beat into peaks). In a large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temperature, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Sift whole wheat flour and re-measure 1 cup. Then re-sift this flour along with 3/4 cup Splenda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Repeat re-sifting two more times and set aside.

Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 3/4 cup Splenda to egg white mixture a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.

Either sift or gently sprinkle one-quarter of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Gently fold in with 15 under-and-over strokes. Repeat, turning bowl so that everything gets blended well. After last addition, scrape and double check that all the flour mixture is well blended into egg whites. You want to keep the egg white mixture as fluffy as possible, so be sure not to beat it down.

Spread batter into a clean, ungreased, 9- or 10-inch tube pan (angel food cake pan). Do your best to make certain there are no air pockets. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges of the cake just start to pull away from the pan. Invert the pan over the neck of a wine-type bottle; let it cool completely. Carefully remove from pan.
Angel Food Trifle

WW Angel Food Cake- broken into chunks
SF FF Vanilla Pudding(made according to directions on box) mixed w/ FF Cool Whip (almost entire container)
Strawberries, kiwi, bananas (or any other fruit that you love- I recommend berries...)
More FF Cool Whip as garnish on top.

Layer together in trifle dish and refridgerate for at least 2 hours- yummy the next day too!

Easy Cherry Cheesecake – Phase 1
I whipped 16 oz low fat cream cheese with 4oz light sour cream until fluffy.

Take 2 boxes of your favorite sugar free jello ( I used black cherry or key lime or strawberry) mix with one cup of boiling water(like you are going to make Jello) After it's dissolved slowly mix into cream cheese mixture. Mix until well blended. I used my electric mixer for whipping the cream cheese and blending it all together.

Pour into a pie plate sprayed with Pam. Chill until firm. I topped mine with remaining half cup of sour cream that I mixed with splenda. Cut into 8
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:37 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This will work with the egg whites that are packaged in the little cartons. Otherwise you will end up with 12 or 14 egg yolks!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #4  
Mythical

S/C/G: 186/172/120

I just noticed this, doing more poking around, I guess

On Thanksgiving, I made myself a pumpkin pie, sf style. I used Libby's pumpkin pie recipe (on every can of the solid pumpkin - do NOT get the "pumpkin pie mix" or whatever it's called) It's got the pumpkin, evaporated (not sweetened condensed) milk, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, eggs, and maybe something else I'm forgetting. I just replaced the sugar with splenda (the measurable kind) and baked it in a plain glass baking dish rather than a pie crust. It really was good, especially with some light Cool Whip
LegendaryZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I've made this for Thanksgiving dessert for the last two years. I serve it with SF Cool Whip, and make the crust from a frozen WW pie crust (made without sugar). It's amazing! I put my changes in purple.

Quote:
Ginger-Hazelnut Pumpkin Tart

Prebaking the empty crust in Step 2 ensures a crisp pastry.

Cooking spray
1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury) (I use a frozen WW pie crust made without sugar)
2/3 cup granulated sugar (I use a mixture of Splenda, Erithrytol, and Spice flavored SF syrup)
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (I use this...it comes to a very little amount on each slice and you can always pick yours off if you're worried...)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I use a brown sugar substitute, if you can't find one, try a combo of 1.5 T of Splenda and .5T of Cinnamon for color. This is sprinkled on top, so SF Maple syrup doesn't work...)
3 1/3 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream (I use FF cool whip...we don't need the extra calories!)

Preheat oven to 375º.
Coat bottom only of a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Combine granulated sugar, cheese, milk, vanilla, pumpkin-pie spice, salt, pumpkin, and egg in a food processor; process until well blended. Spoon the pumpkin mixture into prepared crust. Combine hazelnuts, ginger, and brown sugar; sprinkle evenly over pumpkin mixture. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until set. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack. Serve with low-fat ice cream.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 tart slice and 1/3 cup ice cream)

CALORIES 294 (30% from fat); FAT 9.8g (sat 4g,mono 4g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 6g; CHOLESTEROL 33mg; CALCIUM 138mg; SODIUM 200mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 45.6g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004

Last edited by beachgal; 10-29-2008 at 09:57 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Another great holiday dessert (but it's great during the rest of the year, too!) is Amanda's Fabulous Pumpkin Cake!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Originally posted by 1oftheLuvs:

Quote:
The South Beach Diet - Parties & Holidays Cookbook has what sounds like a really good Thanksgiving menu in it... If you are interested in any of the recipes, I posted them in the recipe forum...

Pumpkin Pie – Phase 2
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...15#post1933915
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Here are a couple of options for those of you that make holiday cookies. I make the first ones every year to give away (and a few to enjoy):

Chocolate Walnut Truffles (Cookies)
Chocolate Meringue Kisses: From the 5/16 Daily Dish
Old 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Laurie could you do that Tart with a graham cracker crust or a SBD version of one? in a pie plate?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Sure, KO! I make homemade graham crackers that I then crumble for crusts. I'll post the recipe for you, if you want it. Also, I would think it would work in a pie plate, but you might have some leftover filling. Nothing wrong with that...just make a "mini" tart in a small ramekin with the leftovers! Mmm!

Okay, here's the graham cracker recipe. Enjoy!

Last edited by beachgal; 11-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Lightbulb Pumpkin Pie (Phase 2)

From the Daily Dish of 11/16/09:

Quote:
Pumpkin Pie (Phase 2)

Description
Redolent with warm spices, this creamy treat is enhanced with a delightfully crispy, light crust that tastes deceivingly buttery, though no butter is used. Whipped topping and chocolate shavings make a gorgeous and irresistible topping, if desired.

Serves 8

Ingredients
6 (9" by 14") sheets whole-wheat phyllo dough, thawed
1/3 cup granular sugar substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 large egg whites
1 large egg yolk
1 (12-ounce) can 2% evaporated milk
2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Light or fat-free whipped topping (optional)
Bittersweet chocolate for shavings (optional)

Instructions
Position rack in middle of oven and heat oven to 350°F. Stack phyllo sheets on plastic wrap or waxed paper; cover with a barely damp towel to prevent sheets from drying out.

Lightly coat 9" pie plate with cooking spray. Lay 1 phyllo sheet in the pie plate. Coat sheet with cooking spray, making sure to spray edges. Repeat with remaining sheets, rotating each slightly in the pan to form a circle. Fold and crimp edges.

Place a piece of parchment or waxed paper on top of crust. Weigh crust down with pie weights or dried beans and bake until edges are lightly golden, about 10 minutes. While crust is baking, combine sugar substitute, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat pumpkin puree, egg whites, and egg yolk until well blended. Slowly add milk, maple syrup, and vanilla, beating until blended. Add spice mixture and blend well.

Remove pie weights from crust. Pour filling into crust and bake until tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove pie from oven and cool at room temperature to set. Just before serving, top each slice of pie with 1 to 2 tablespoons whipped topping and chocolate shavings (if desired).

Nutritional information
Per serving:
130 calories
2.5 g fat (1 g sat)
19 g carbohydrate
7 g protein
2 g fiber
300 mg sodium