South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:42 PM   #1  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default fell off the wagon before I was on it.--Introducing myself--

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all and to announce that I am restarting phase I after two days! How do you fall off the wagon before you are actually on it? *sigh* I have been a lurker for a week or two. I think that my best chance at succeeding is try to participate in this board with you ladies rather than watching from the sidelines. On the sidelines, there is very little (if any) accountability. I had a baby a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, I ate for three! I took my time losing weight because I was breast feeding. I am back to about ten pounds more that I was pre pregnancy (great considering that I gained almost 60 pounds). After I lose the last ten I want to get even closer to my "ideal" weight. I'll see when I get close to it, whether I want to keep going or stop early. I do remember being around 140 when I first got married. I was most happy with my body then, so I think I will try for 145 (the extra five is for being seven years older ). If I may rationalize the reason why I have fallen off the wagon *already* (as if it erases the food from the day) I have just gotten off a very restrictive diet. not weight loss but allergy elimination. Again, up until a week ago I was nursing my son, who is severely allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, and fish. I had to avoid all of those things and things that include it or are cooked in it. Those are my favorite foods! Also, I am an emotional eater. Along with the allergies (or because of them) my son is delayed in his feeding development so feeding him is often a difficult/stressful thing (he smacks the spoon, cries, screamer or just doesn't eat some or all meals during the day. We see a feeding therapist who has made so much of a difference in this because he used to not eat *anything*. Now, he eats a little, but when we eat out with other couples with a baby his age it's shocking how little he eats compared to them. They also feed themselves, while our son cannot chew yet.) He is failing to thrive (we are discussing a feeding tube on Monday with his GI doctor) and we often have more than one doctor appointment during the week. We aren't home a lot (I grab lunch or breakfast) and I have a difficult time finding time to cook something for me at home when we are there (all excuses that I know can be overcome). Finally, I have been having a difficult time with getting my eating under control since we miscarried last month. I was actually three pounds away from where I was before I got pregnant with my son, but then I ate and ate and ate for the last month. The irony. I can't lose weight and my son can't gain it. Too bad I can't gain the weight for him. I'm an old pro at that! Like I hear many people say, I have lost over a hundred pounds. It just happens that they are the same ones over and over again.

Oh! I'm sorry did I accidentally pull out my pity pot while introducing myself? That's included in my goals: I want to be healthier (not just thin), I want to be active (I don't know that I can achieve "fit" so I will just go for active), and I would like to be more positive in my thinking (it will help me to cope with our situation instead of turning to food to forget the stress and numb the feelings). I have a friend who keeps reminding me that all this that we (my husband my son and I) are going through is just temporary and I should take care of myself because I don't want to be faced with a big mess at the end of an already tough challenge. She so smart! I'm lucky to have a friend like her!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:42 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

:welcoem: to The Beach!

Great intro, ebb&flow. Your friend is right - we need to take care of ourselves. Food is the one thing we CAN control when we are in difficult situations.

Be sure to read the book and also peruse our FAQ and Recipe sections. Join us on the daily chat - it's a weekend chat today- where we chat about life in general and sometimes even about the plan.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #3  

Ebb&Flow... great name... such is life eh, all with peaks and valleys! You sure do have a lot on your plate dear...and treasure that friend of yours! We all need positive support ! And you'll find more of it here
Old 10-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to the Beach, ebb&flow! It sounds like you are going through a very stressful time in your life right now, and I have to say for wanting to take care of yourself, too. Your friend is right, this is just a temporary period, and with your positive attitude you'll come through it just fine.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #5  

Welcome! One of my best friends has food allergies like you described, so I understand how frustrating that can be. Taking care of yourself first helps you take care of the other stuff that comes along - hang in there!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #6  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the encouragement. How motivating! I jumped back into phase I today. Actually, I did pick the screen name based on the highs and lows of life. It's a reminder to myself that no matter what is going on, it will eventually get better. That is everything including cravings for carbs. I just have to learn to ride it out until they pass.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #7  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Welcome, ebb&flow, from one VA gal to another! Where are you? I'm in Lexington, a little town in swVA.

Wow, you really do have a lot going on right now; you and your family will be in my thoughts. Your friend sounds so wonderful and wise!

Keep on keeping on. I promise it gets better.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #8  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Woo hoo! Virginia is taking over the South Beach Board!

Welcome to our little slice of internet cake.... if that made any sense.

I'm from Yorktown... about 35 mins from Virginia Beach.
Closed Thread