South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit!

S/C/G: 200

Height: 5'6"

Default protein bars/powder

hi all-
First I want to say I did a search to find info onthis...lol
ok, im getting burnt out on cattage cheese...lol I was wonderin if anyone has found an acceptable protein bar and powder that is ok to use.
Thanks!!!!!
Dawn
Old 10-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

As I said in my PM to you, bars are not allowed on Phase I. Whey or soy powder are OK for the shakes that are in the recipe section under Phase I.
And once again to The Beach.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Funybunn, there are tons of sources of protein out there...are you vegetarian? Have you tried string cheese? Hummus? Nut butters? Other kinds of reduced-fat cheese? Yogurt is processed as a carb but has protein in it. Soy nuts/Edamame/soy-based protein is a great choice, too. And if you eat meat, that opens up your options further.

Bars and protein shakes don't fill you up much and leave you feeling fairly hungry, IMHO. You might find other combinations of veggies and protein to be a better, more satisfying choice.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/128/120

Height: 5'4

Hi. My fave protein powder is Whey Gourmet (Chocolate Chip Mint is very yum! And I've heard good things about some of their other flavors). Designer Whey is

This place sells samples. I've ordered from them before and had good experience:

http://bethsproteinboutique.com/catalog/

I do have a couple of thoughts regarding protein powders, however. First, many are designed more for weight gain than weight loss. If you do decide to go that route, read the labels carefully. I pretty much avoided them during all of phase 1 and most of phase 2. I only recently added it in as I'm nearing maintenance, I've increased my lifting and I only use it as a post weight routine meal.

Also, along the lines of what beachgal said....why are you looking at powders? I can definately see using it if your lifting, are vegetarian or simply can't stomach many of the other protein sources. Otherwise, I too recommend trying to find creative ways to get your protein in via "real food" first and go with the processed stuff last. But then again, I'm a bit of a eating clean nut

Have you tried mixing things into your cottage cheese? I've found some yummy combos. There's also plenty of ways to jazz up egg whites and everything else.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #5  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I'm not sure which Phase you are on but if you happen to be on Phase 2 or 3 you can check out some of the options South Beach offers.

I was in Food Lion (our local grocery store if you don't have one try Wal Mart) and I found some South Beach Diet High Protein Cereal Bars. Kraft makes them and the chocolate ones are delish! They have a peanut butter one as well. I'm recommended them to my fitness buddy because she is on Phase 2 and has chocolate cravings really bad. I recommend only one a day and preferably at dessert time. I've listed the Nutrition Facts so you can get a good idea of what you're getting into.

South Beach Diet(TM) High Protein Cereal Bar by Kraft (R)

Serving Size: 1 bar (35g)
Calories: 140
Calories from Fat: 45
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Trans Fat: 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 150mg
Potassium: 170mg
Total Carbohydrate: 15g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 7g
Sugar Alcohol: 3g
Protein 10g
Vitamin A: 15%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 15%
Iron: 10%
Thiamin: 25%
Riboflavin: 25%
Niacin: 25%
Vitamin B6: 25%
Vitamin B12: 25%
Phosphorus: 15%
Zinc: 10%
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #6  
Fighting to be Fit!

S/C/G: 200

Height: 5'6"

Default protein

I guess I shoudl have said...my life is so hectic ..like most of yours....even when i plan/cook ahead I run inot things and thought this would be nice. I do like having the backup of frozen s/b meals in the freeezer but its the during the day that I fall short on. Maybe im not creative enough either. i have been going through the recipes and have found some things that are helping...just thought this would be quick and easy.
Closed Thread