South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/145/135

Height: 5'7 and a half

Talking Camping/hiking on Phase 1... Help!

Hello ladies,
I found 3FC last week after I started the South Beach Diet and have been back to read the forums almost every day. I love the recipes (Taco Bake is on my list to make on Thursday!) and the support that everyone is showing each other.

I have a dillemma - I started Phase 1 of the SBD last Monday, and have been going strong, aside from Saturday night when I went to a party and ended up drinking/eating what I shouldn't. But I got back on and I'm still plugging away. I do feel more alert, and your body just feels so much better when you're eating good, healthy food instead of crap!

But: I'm going camping this weekend, with a group of non-SBDers, from Saturday morning to Sunday night. And I want to know if you have ideas of good hiking food to bring. I can use some of the ideas from the Brown Bag lunch thread, but I'm wondering if there are things that I can take that are unrefridgerated. Is there any sort of South Beach trail mix recipe? When we're grilling out, should I just eat the hamburger with no bun and bring my own "ketchup?" And s'mores... Sigh.

I don't want to call much attention to my diet on this weekend, and I don't want to collapse on a hike due to no energy. But I definitely want to stay on Phase 1 until at least this coming Monday... I've come this far, I owe it to myself to keep going!

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #2  

I've camped many times on South Beach phase 2 but we've usually had a big cooler. If you will be able to store food there, then you are in good shape for dinners. A plain hamburger would work (Heinz One Carb is an approved ketchup). We typically bring a propane stove so I will often make up meals ahead of time (taco bake would work for phase 1). Sometimes I will make soup. And then I head it up for our family.

Trail mix would be tough for phase 1 since you couldn't add any of the approved cereals or fruit. You could have nuts. I like to bring raw veggies to snack on. Raw zucchini keeps for quite awhile unrefrigerated. Cauliflower also works. I like to bring Eggbeaters for breakfast sometimes. It just depends on how primitive your camping is going to be.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How about roasted chickpeas too? I just knew Barb would have some good ideas.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

I would just eat whatever lean meats are cooked, make sure to take salad, plenty of veggies, string cheese, small amount of nuts etc. I totally understand not wanting to be a pain or make a big deal about not eating what everyone else is, and deal with that one myself (I'm sure all of us do)

Last time I went camping I brought a huge bag of cucumber, squash and celery and munched when I had the urge to eat. Probably not good to feed your feelings with food (even veggies), but it definitely helped!

And hey Barb had a good idea, if you're making taco bake on Thursday then bring some with you for the trip! I bet the rest of the campers would be totally jealous, because the Taco Bake is just fantastic!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #5  

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies ladies! That's a good idea about bringing some Taco Bake with me -- we'll have a cooler -- and I'll just bring a ton of veggies and cheese sticks, and look for some lean meat to grill. And the roasted chickpeas sound like they'd be good to take too for a snack.

Last edited by sunnydaysahead; 09-28-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: adding weight loss tracker
Old 09-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good luck but rely on planning ahead. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
(By the way, your ticker should be pasted into your signature. Then you won't have to paste it in every time.)
Never mind. I just fixed it.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

I'm headed camping next weekend and I was even thinking that I might bring canned beans and spices with some fake ground meat and make everyone a Phase 1 chili! My boyfriend absolutely loves it and I just won't tell everyone it's fake meat!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone. The camping trip last weekend was a success, although I did have to bend the Phase 1 rules a little -- I had full-fat cheese instead of reduced fat on my (bunless) burger, since I had forgot to plan ahead and bring cheese, and I ate more nuts than I was planning to. I think I was a little lacking in energy (some of our hikes were strenuous, and I was lagging) but I made it through.

Of course, this past weekend I was on a business trip for work, and I completely fell off the SB train. I didn't have access to a kitchen, and ate the food provided for us... which was a lot of unhealthy sugary stuff. I'm going to go through the "freezer/make-ahead" recipes today on this site and try to make some of them so that if work intervenes again, I'll have some pre-made options.
Closed Thread