South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Default Need Help? Advice?

Hey ladies,

Been on here for a while as you know. Started SB in January and lost about 25 of the 35 pounds I wanted to lose. Since then it's been up and down and all around and fasting (thought I was doing it for the right reasons, the lemonade fast to clean my system out, help create healthier lifestyle), lost quite a bit of weight on it, but binged as soon as I went off of it, this past weekend I started out well and then fell off the wagon towards the end...

I know a lot have felt like it's this diet and then the next kind of just floundering around trying to get to a stable happy place...

So was just reading someone else's post and my thought was "maybe I should jump back on the phase 1 band wagon again...

Just feeling so lost and confused and need support... Should I go back on Phase 1 if I only want to lose about 10 more pounds? It worked so well for so long for me... also I'm recently vegetarian and worried about finding veggie friendly phase 1 recipes..
Old 09-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

phase 1 is to get rid of your cravings. if you don't have cravings just tighten up on your Phase 2 eating.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #3  

Listen, it isn't going to matter if you do Phase I, Phase II, Richard Simmons, WW, Atkins, Fast, or eat blue moon cheese. The fact is, while you are on a program you HAVE TO, MUST, teach yourself better eating habits. Losing weight is an all or nothing thing. What I mean by that is if you have not learned what your food triggers are, ie, stress, boredom, tv or bed eating (yes lots of people eat in bed folks)and don't work on eliminating them then you will go back to eating badly. It is all about behavior modification AND learning to eat the right things in the right amounts. I strongly believe if you have a food or drink that you know you can't control (for me it is regular soft drinks) then it is imperative you GIVE IT UP FOR LIFE!!! We are no different than drug addicts, addicted cigarette smokers or alcoholics. We just choose food. Just because a person doesn't sit down and eat a box of donuts in one sitting or only needs to lose 10 lbs instead of 100 or 200 does not mean that person isn't addicted to food. We ALL have addictions to some kind of food. Something that if we give in and eat it, we don't seem to either be able to stop, or be able to control it to once in awhile. It is great when we lose weight, but if we learned nothing about how our body reacts to what we eat, how our mind tries to tell us we need to eat when we don't, etc then we will balloon right back up and usually more than we were before we dieted in the first place. If you look at truly successful people that have lost weight and kept it off for a very long time you will find they have learned a great deal and they always stick to it. I have a friend who posts on this site and weighed 350 and weighs 155 now and lost the weight 20 YEARS ago. The reason she doesn't gain it all back is she has learned to love foods that are good for her, stay away from stuff that is bad for her, have a dessert or a treat in moderation and most of all, when she gains 5 lbs she takes it back off without letting more come back on. She is on a combination of WW and SB and has been for a long time. This woman is going through a tough time of it too. She is the only breadwinner, her husband right now is an invalid and is having one of his legs removed this week. She has a huge amount of stress at work and with what goes on in her personal life, but she manages it in other ways besides to eat. Sit down and make a list of when you eat outside of meals. Like, do I eat while I read, watch tv, play games, etc? Do I eat in totally inappropriate places like in bed or in the bathroom ( yes, I had someone tell me they ate in the bathtub)? If I am mad, sad, depressed, happy, do I eat to make any of these better? When I think of going to a party is eating always the most exciting part about going? Do I eat while I drive, use the computer, talk on the phone? All of us has some of these things that we need to QUIT! I am a tv and book reader eater and it is hard not to automatically go grab chips, soda, even healthy stuff that is on my program when I sit down to read or watch tv. You CAN break the cycle but it is truly hard. Anyway, that is my take on gaining weight back. I think if we can break the bad habits we have formed for ourselves including the bad habits of WHAT we eat, where, when and how, then we can be successful for life not just a month, two months or even a year or so.

Faye
Old 09-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Holy cow that was awesome! Thanks Faye for your wonderful insight... I think that's about the only thing I haven't done (write down everything I eat, when I eat, why I eat, how I'm feeling, what I'm doing etc.)

Just feel like I can get to a place in my head where I am able to practice control and not feel out of control like I do when I eat sometimes...

There's a quote that I got off of a different thread that I've started carrying around with me - Darnit that I haven't remembered to pull it out in tough times but think I'll share it with ya'll anyways -

"then I realized that I had to seperate my abstinence from everything else that was going on in my life. No matter what happened or didn't happen, I couldn't compulsively eat. In fact, none of these things that I was going through had anything to do with my abstinence; the tides of life flow endlessly for better or worse, both good and bad, and I cannot allow my abstinence to become dependent on these ups and downs of living. Abstinence must live a life of its own."
Old 09-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/144/140

Awesome post Faye!
Closed Thread