South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212//196/150

Height: 5' 1"

Default Oatmeal quantity

For phase 2, it says 1/3 to 1/2 cup uncooked whole grain cereal. I use the Scottish steel cut oats. 1/2 cup makes three large bowls of oatmeal. Any guidelines for steel cut oats?

Karen S.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #2  
RMT
1x on Lips 4ever on hips

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'5"

Island Girl - where did you find the Scottish Steel Cut Oats??? Also, is that the brand? I bet you can put in ff sf maple syrup (log cabins is good) that mind taste pretty good with it. Let me know what you find out - I am getting sick of egg beaters. Hope you ahve a good one.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #3  
Life's A Beach!

S/C/G: 270/264.5/170

Height: 5'5"

I don't know about the portion thing, but RMT, my grocery store carries the Bob's Red Mill line and they have the scottish and irish oats
Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Island Girl, I cannot stand any kind of oatmeal but someone who knows about it will probably give you the answer. Since it's ground so fine, I'm sure the portion size must be less than 1/2 cup.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #5  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

What does the package say the serving size is? That's usually a good guideline. I would say, eat what it takes to fill you! Usually one big bowl of oatmeal is made from 1/2 cup, so hey, eat one big bowl. Remember that South Beach is intended to be easy to follow! No number obsessing!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212//196/150

Height: 5' 1"

Oops, it is Irish Oatmeal. It comes in a whitel metal can, brand name John McCann's. Serving size is 1/4 cup, 150 calories, 4 grm fiber, 26 grams carbs., 2 grms fat, 4 grms protein.

My dh usually makes it and adds 3 apples, 1 cup of oats, some Splenda and it makes six large bowls. Before SB we would eat that for breakfast along with some egg beaters. I usually ate half a bowl. I still find I need more protein for breakfast. It takes quite awhile to cook so it is good to have it made ahead of time and just heat it up in the microwave. It is delicious and always better on the days after it is made. The oats swell up more and get even softer. If anyone wants more information, I can ask him his water proportion and cookiing times.

Karen S.
Closed Thread