South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default City Mouse or Country Mouse?

I grew up and worked as a city mouse (Govt. of Canada in Ottawa) but always loved visiting the country, especially my relatives on the farm and in the wee village of Delta. Now I live in what was once my Grandpa's retirement house and just love it. I am a complete country mouse now although I can still drive in and enjoy big cities!

How about you?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #2  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I like to think that I am a city mouse but I really yearn for the country life! Ruth, your life sounds like heaven to me. I am hoping when my hubby finally gets his PhD he will want to teach in the backwoods of Maryland or Virginia somewhere so I can keep my kids, garden, and sew! LOL. But then again, I like the grocery store being near! Hmm. I am torn. I lived in farmland Indiana for the first eight years of my life and so I remember that as idyllic..but I've been in suburbia since then.

Jessie
Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #3  

I've always lived in the suburbs near a big city but not in the middle of it. I like the convenience of having good stores close but I also like having a certain amount of grassy areas and parks. Given a choice what I miss the most is the beaches (but not the humidity).

I did visit my grandpa's farm outside Montgomery, Alabama when I was a kid and that was wonderful for a week. I think I'd go stir crazy though if I was too far out for too long. I do enjoy things like growing my own vegetables and canning food, crocheting and other things like that which I would enjoy having more time for.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #4  
Life's A Beach!

S/C/G: 270/264.5/170

Height: 5'5"

Country mouse- the more country the better!! I'd be down for living off the grid in Montana

I grew up in a small town in Michigan of 4k residents but now live a in little bigger area, but out in the country. Not nearly country enough though...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm like Barb, I enjoy living on the edge of a big city, but not in the middle of it. I like the convenience of having stores, banks, post office, etc. nearby without having to travel miles for a gallon of milk if I should run out. Everything I need is within walking distance from my house, which really saves on gas and gives me a little extra exercise, too.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #6  

I grew up in the country, but I'm on the edge of a big city now. Fortunately, I still get to live the country life every once in a while. My sister and brother-in-law and my parents live on a farm a couple hours away. I think I'd go nuts if I couldn't "get out of Dodge" every once in a while!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #7  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

I grew up in what I thought was the city. Silly small town girl. Now I live in a suburb of Houston. Near enough to green stuff to keep me happy, but also near enough to ANYTHING I might need (if you can't find it in Houston, you don't need it).

I do wish there was more water near me though. The one thing I miss about Florida.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 AM   #8  
Laurelei

S/C/G: 168/168/145

Height: 5' 6"

I am absolutely a country mouse. I grew up out in the country in Indiana, surrounded by corn and soybeans for miles.
My neighbors were about a mile away. When I was around 13 I didn't like the country because I was far away from my friends. When all the other kids were visiting each other everyday, (because they were all within walking distance) I was stuck at home. But when I got my liscence I really noticed how great it was.
I know that I want to live in the country for the rest of my life.
I am in college right now, so I guess for 4 years I will be a city mouse. *sigh* I miss the corn already :P
Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #9  
Bird Nerd

Country mouse! I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere in KY. Right now I work even more in the middle of nowhere in OK. I lived and worked in Miami, FL for 2 years and I was absolutely miserable. I totally and completely did not groove with that type of lifestyle.
I enjoy many of the things that cities have to offer but I get almost everything I really need from my medium sized town in Arkansas I live in. Everything else I can order on the internet!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #10  

I grew up in a town of 1600 people like Mayberry (no kidding) in Nortwest Indiana, married a sailor and traveled all over the country. Found I city life. We lived in Va Beach, VA (twice), San Diego, CA, El Paso Tx and Memphis (three times) with his naval career.

When my husband retired we moved back to North Liberty and I HATED every minute of it. My mother and stepfather owned a dairy farm south about 40 miles in Argos and I hated going there. When my son graduated from high school we moved to South Bend which is considerably bigger but most would consider it still small town living I guess and lived there until 2001.

When my grandson was born, we decided to move down here to be close to him and so my husband could have a better job. I will NEVER go back to living in a small town again. I love the big city, the shopping, things to do, the interstate, the restaurants, everything.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 08-30-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 238.4/231.6/215/199/140

Height: 5'4"

COUNTRY MOUSE
As a kid, I grew up in Inner City, Northside of Chicago, middle class community -- then moved to the Western Suburbs near Chicago as an adult -- in a community called "A Village" The village of Oak Park. Suburban life IS different from being in the city, but we had the advantage of getting to thiings very easily, walking places, taking the El train to downtown Chicago. In some ways, it was very idyllic.
2 years ago, my DH was offered a job in Virginia and I was glad to have the opportunity to go on a new adventure! We ended up buying a house about 50 miles out of Washington D.C., next to Leesburg Virginia not that far from West Virginia. It is as country as I have ever lived, and after visiting my home town 2 weeks ago, I have decided that I like the country life best. It's quiet, clean, we have the best school system in the country with the highest SOL and SAT scores. From my back yard, I have a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains...you can drive nearby and see cows - and there is wildlife in my back yard. I can have some privacy from my neighbors, but we still live in a small community. There are disadvantages to living this far out, but we are still close enought to enjoy city culture without having to live inside the city. I love the rush of going down to DC or near Georgetown, but I wouldn't wanna life there.

I caught "Green Acres" on the tv the other day and got a huge laugh out of it. My DH was like, "You cant be serious, we are not going to watch it." No, we didn't have to watch the whole thing, and we aren't exactly THAT country, but still, I had to giggle at the likeness of my Divaish ways, not that unlike Eva Gabor. Haha. Not really, but I did insist on a Hot Tub! LOL
Old 08-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I'd have to say that I'm a city mouse. I grew up in a small town of about 8 thousand people, but even when I was younger, I always wanted to leave, and I finally did. I live in a medium city of about 500,000 people. Lots to do, lots of opportunities I wouldn't have in a small town, more cultural diversity, and I find I even like city driving, I have more confidence here because there are things I have to do, ( like drive on the interstate) that used to frighten me. When I go back "home", I appreciate the quietness and serenity, but am not there long enough to get into the gossipy nature of a small town where everyone knows everyone and thier dog. Going between the two places, I've learned to appreciate both aspects. My city is large enough for stuff to do, ect. but there isn't a huge crime problem for its size. I could live here forever and it wouldn't bother me. We may have to relocate for my husband's work. I don't want to, but at least I know that I can handle change.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #13  
hara hachi bu

As a single person, I enjoy living in the city. It's where most of my employment opportunities are, the conveniences lend themselves nicely to a single-person's lifestyle, lots to do, etc.

I also have a part of me that, like others, was raised in a small town with lots of acres of land around me. Although I don't like the pettyness of small-town gossip and politics, I do think I have a part of me that could do the whole rural-living thing. I'd love to have a garden, a nice yard, etc., but I'd probably only be happy living that way if I were happily married.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #14  
beachbum

Was a city mouse, but became a country mouse for over 9 years... Happy little mouse even though I look like a country cow

Hugs BB
Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm a city Mouse or indeed Suburban Mouse
I was raised in Suburb went to my first college in the country second one in a suburb Third one in a small city and Study abroad in a suburb very close to the city. i liked living in the country but not having to drive 45 min for some fun or culture Ideally I'd love to have a house in the suburbs a flat in the city (or a brownstone uptown!) and a getaway log cabin in the country
Closed Thread