South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #1  
Making changes!

S/C/G: 244/237/140

Height: 5'4"

Smile Hello everyone :)

Hello everyone! I am new to this website, and most definitely new to SBD board. A little about myself... I'm 29 years old from Ottawa, Ontario and am considering doing SBD to help myself overcome to symptoms and threats of PCOS and high insulin levels. I am afraid if I don't make some serious changes in my eating habits and my weight, that diabetes will be knocking at my door within the next 10 years.

I've only every followed WW in the past 8 or so years, on and off... although successful at times, I am now the heaviest I've ever been. Due to the PCOS and high insulin, my metabolic. rate has slowed down significantly... so I want to try something new which will help increase my chances of becoming healthy.

I spoke with my doctor today, and mentioned to her the idea of doing SB, as a way of consuming less sugars, and lowering my weight... all while in the future guidance of an endocrinologist. She thought it to be a good idea, however, I am quite unsure what to expect. I've read up on the plan in my SBD book, but it all seems confusing at times.

Is there anyone that knows how to simplify the plan, or can lead me to a listing? Phase 1 looks brutal, but probably most important for someone like myself (I love sweets!). If anyone has any tips, advice, or anything that might help me to get started on this plan, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am moving into a new home in less than 2 weeks, and am hoping to make that fresh start then.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to getting to know you all as I slowly step into these waters.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #2  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

It's really not that complicated.

Phase I:
no fruit
no bread
no pasta
no rice
lots of LEAN meat, fish, white meat poultry
lots of veggies (not just salads)
2-3 cups of low fat dairy a day
nuts
beans/legumes
no beat or carrots
Splenda instead of sugar.

I know I am leaving stuff off. But that is basically it. And no counting points (which I HATED with WW). Phase I will cure you of that sweet tooth!

Read the FAQ section of the South Beach Forum here.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #3  

Welcome to the beach, Chal! Louren is right, go to the FAQ section and make sure you read the posts that are stickied at the top of the forum. They will give you the food lists and lots of other helpful hints. Also check out the recipe sections. There are lots of good recipes for phase 1. Many people get tired of eggs for breakfast and there are lots of good alternatives.

One thing to aim for is 4 1/2 cups of vegetables daily. Those will provide good nutrition and healthy carbs especially during phase 1 but also in phase 2. We have a daily thread here that you are welcome to join in and we also normally have a weekly Phase 1 thread. Everyone will be glad to answer any questions you have.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome, Chal! You are in good company; there are a lot of Ottawans on 3FC.

I know your brain might hurt after reading the book but go back and just read the P1 chapter for now. Then supplement it with the info in our FAQ, especially the updated Foods to enjoy/avoid lists for P1. You'll also appreciate the Emergency Phase 1 Handbook, also in the FAQ. If specific questions come up, you can post them in the P1 thread for that week, or on their own if no one in the thread knows the answers.

This is a great plan and can work very well for the exact issues you've described. I hope you love it as much as I do!

Thanks, Barb, for the great advice re: veggies. They are important! So is getting your water. In P1, make sure you eat bell peppers, tomatoes, and/or legumes (beans) to minimize the side effects of detoxing from sugar.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

to the Beach from a former Ottawa Chick! Good advice has already been posted. My hint? Remember your dairy as well as the legumes.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #6  

We'll be here to help cheer you on
Phase 1 will definitely help get rid of sugar cravings! My hint is to pick up some Vanilla Carmel Tea, a splitch of milk , a tich of splenda, tastes like a sweet treat! Bigelow makes a good one .... 0 sugar 0 calories
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #7  
Making changes!

S/C/G: 244/237/140

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I am nervous about the huge change, since counting points is all I've ever known... however, I've learned how to cheat myself too much on that plan, and my overall goal now is to be healthy and feed my body the right things... not just lose weight.

I have the SBD Cookbook, which gave a quick rundown of the plan. Do I need to bother getting the original SBD books, or is the information in this book sufficient? Based on the information that I found on this website last night, it looks like all the information I could ever need is right here. I must say, this place seems great! People are friendly and the information is so abundant.

It's amazing how things change. I remember when my weight crept up to 230 lbs about 7 or 8 years ago, and managed to get down to 182 lbs doing WW. Something changed... I slowly stopped following, and then slowly crept my weight back up, with times of maintenance, over the years... and now here I am at 245 and scared for my health. I also want to TRY for my first child hopefully within 6 months, but I personally want to get some of this weight off first first, and get my health in better condition. I don't want to be obese anymore, and I don't want to risk my LIFE for the sake of food anymore. I've lost all my family, so I know how fragile life is. I'm too young to feel like I do. I want to go to theme parks, and do more things... but I don't, because of my weight. There's no way I'm going to subject myself to TRYING to get into a ride, only to have it not fit over me. The problem I had was my perception of self was better than I actually looked. I felt good after losing all the weight I did, that only until recently, it hadn't caught up in my head that I look nothing like that anymore. Now that I am aware of how I truly look, I'm horrified and 100% ashamed.

I'm moving to the opposite end of the city the week after next, and I am excited. It's such an active community, which will help motivate me to get and keep active, but it's a safe place to go for walks, etc. also, which is very important when doing any outdoor exercise alone. Also, I'll have a nice big kitchen with gorgeous kick-butt stainless steel appliances, which will make me want to be in there more often preparing yummy, colourful and healthy foods. There's no beauty is serving up fattening, dull-coloured foods in a "gourmet" kitchen. A kitchen like that begs for vibrant fruits and vegetables, which look so good you gotta eat them!

I really look forward to getting to know you all, and will appreciate any help and support you can provide once I get this underway. This forum seems like a great place to come to everyday, and you've all been so successful already.

Thank you all!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #8  

You can do this without the books but you would be best to at least check the original book out of the library and read through it. If it is the hardback then the food lists won't be as up-to-date as the ones on this website so keep that in mind.

I cook a lot out of both cookbooks as well as recipes on this list. I've also taken many recipes I already had and converted them to South Beach. Wherever possible I have added extra veggies.

You have a wonderful attitude and I commend you for working on this now before you get older and do have serious health problems from your weight. Exercise will definitely help. Don't push too hard in phase 1 and then just add more exercise in phase 2. It will get easier as your weight goes down but even at the higher weights I was able to walk. I am truly envious of your new kitchen. I wish we could afford to redo our kitchen but it doesn't stop me from cooking.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

I'm a bit jealous of the kitchen too! Mine is TINY!!!

My advice for phase one - because I had a HUGE icecream addiction that I fight constantly - is to remember LOTS of flavor in your foods. Spices are helpful in soooo many ways! The more flavor in your food - the more you feel like you just cheated We've really loved the recipes in the book and I've changed a lot of my own as well. I love to cook but got into ruts before SBD and was leaving out all the stuff that makes my food taste better than anything at a resturant - the quality veggies and spices!

Also - I may be odd here, but I had trouble with all the dairy - so I use a lot of goat/sheep and buffalo cheese and products. I cook with them and they're yummy! They also fill me up and keep me from feeling deprived.

Good luck!!! I think you'll love the new foods!
Closed Thread