3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Thursday's Chick Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/90699-thursdays-chick-chat.html)

cottagebythesea 08-03-2006 07:52 AM

Thursday's Chick Chat

:sunny: :hot: :sunny:

Good Morning Everybody!!! I just came in from spending a very pleasant hour or so having coffee on my patio. In the shade it wasn't too bad. I'm skipping Curves today, I've been getting a pretty good workout helping Peggy clean, instead. Yesterday we spent 4 hours cleaning a beautiful home in a brand new developement. The house was a dream, but there were no trees or shade to be found. Why do developers have to strip the land, the homes looked so forlorn and vulnerable baking in the hot sun. :( Today we have 3 homes to clean, then I'm finished working for her. It's been a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to do that every day! Besides, I miss my two little ones terribly, and I'm looking forward to Monday when I'll see them again.

It looks like all of you are starting this new month sticking to the Plan, me, I need a good swift kick in the butt!:kickbutt: I did well yesterday until I got home and Jake said let's go over to Applebee's for a few drinks. :devil: His excuse was, "Hey, you're on vacation this week, you need to chill out a little." Well, chill out I did. I had 2 frozen Mango Margarita's and we split an appetizer sampler. :eek: :ink: :eek: I actually felt quite ill afterwards, although I didn't mention it to Jake! I popped 3 Tums as soon as we came home and didn't eat supper, either. Why did I do it, what's the matter with me, anyway? :?: Well, today's a new day, and I'm back to trying to be good again.

So, what's everyone up to today?

Ruthxxx 08-03-2006 08:04 AM

Good morning, Cottage, and thanks for starting us up. I could see by your profile you were searching smilies so let you go to it while I did my morning tour of the Boards looking for spammers and other jerkheads! :mad:

Hey, the heat wave seems to have broken a bit. I actually was able to turn off the AC this morning. It's drizzling just slightly :rain: which will keep me inside this morning. It's just as well because neighbour Moel is going to knock off his chickens today and I don't want to hear the clucking and the swearing! We are having a big party in the meadow this weekend and the chickens are on the menu. By big, I mean 72 people! We'll have tents in the meadow, a beer fridge plugged in to the pump power and a rustic outhouse built by Moel at the edge of the woods! Liz and Moel have both just turned 50 so this will be a big celebration - "Meadowpalooza"! :hb: :cheers: :balloons: etc.

I have six pies to bake for a Saturday morning bake sale, the fridge to clean and clear out for party food room, a major lasagna to put together and a herd of bills to pay. I'd better get off my butt and get with it.

Just before I do though.....is it just me or was July a really hard month for most of us? I know it was for me and the July weightloss results were down too. Let's hope we're all over the hump. It's really easy to say "to heck with it! It's still summer!" but September will be here in 29 days. Maybe we should call today's chat Thoughtful Thursday.

So what's happening around your towel? :cofdate:

cottagebythesea 08-03-2006 08:33 AM

Yes, "Thoughtful Thursday" is a good choice of names for today, I need to think about staying on track with No More Excuses!
Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you, Ruth! The party sounds like a lot of fun, though. I can remember when my Dad bought 100 live chickens one year to save a little money on the grocery bill. My brother and I were absolutely horrified when the time came to slaughter them. We refused to eat any of the meat, and I actually had nightmares for a long time of all these chickens running around with their heads cut off! Good idea of yours for staying inside while all that carnage is going on over at Moel's!
I've decided to make the Pork Satay for tonight. Has anyone tried it yet? That will make today's goal of trying out a new recipe.

RNMOM 08-03-2006 08:38 AM

Hiya

Morning all! In the ER this morning and boy I'm tired. 0500 doesn't agree with me. Small slippage yesterday but I'm back at it today.

Cottage, I love applebees, you do deserve the break, cleaning houses YUK

Ruth, having been one that was raised "offing" chickens, I don't blame you for wanting to stay away from the noise. YUK

Well, I just work today then I have 5 days off and I'm happy. Will see my son off back to Iraq on Tuesday:( , then get ready to go on a business trip with my dh to Minnesota. I've never been to the Mall of America, should be fun. Well, I'm off! Hugs to all.

Jalene5 08-03-2006 08:59 AM

Good Morning All!

Well, I am still here ;) LOL. I am really proud of myself! It is really hot here too. They are saying it is going to cool down fast though tonight. DH was off last night and I made the Chicken Divan. Everyone in the house loved it! I was so proud of myself! Not sure what I am going to try tonight! Well, back to work. I must get something accomplished today!! Happy Thursday Everyone!
Jalene

Scully1280 08-03-2006 09:25 AM

Mornin' Chickies!
Ahhhhh, Thursday! One step closer to TGIF...

CottageBTS: Oh the sweet lure of Margaritas ;) Well, chalk it up to an off program day and remember, this is a brand new day! :cheer: No sense beatin' yourself up. My advise to you is to write a note to yourself about how you felt (physically) after the night. Put it in your sock drawer, and next time you are tempted with the occasion to socialize, read it, and make a plan that you will allow yourself to have 1 beverage, and 1 appetizer, but then a healthy food in there too. Also, try to plan some small amount of exercise the next day. (This was an impromptu, so it's not like you could have gotten it in before hand, right?) Be gentle to yourself!

Ruthxxx: I agree, Thoughtful Thursday is a good name as is Chick Chat...
You mods certainly have a lot of work to do on the boards. I suppose many of us take that part for granted, so let me say, Thank you! I hate getting spammed on my email.
You DO have a busy day ahead, huh? The thought of cooking today would be daunting. It's so toasty already. I had my a/c turned to 68 yesterday, and it felt warm in the house. But when I went outside and came in, it felt cool again for a sec. I hate to run the oven - but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Good Luck hon! It sounds like it's gonna be a GREAT time! I can't wait to hear about it!
As for July, well, I just started the program. It wasn't tough for me in the discipline sense, but most definitely in the emotional/patience part. I need to stay on track with my physical needs, to move my bod and get the heart rate going! It's so odd how I am good on exercise and stuggle with food or vise versa.

RN MOM: How do you handle the stress of the hospital crisis daily. I thought about going into Nursing at one time but I am so sensitive, I'm afraid that I would burn out. I consider myself one of those people who has much empathy and felt as if I would take peoples cases home with me. I admire the kind of work you do. I am a really strong spirit, and I know that I would be a good nurse, I just wonder whether or not I could handle the emotional stress that would come with that work.
As for your son going to Iraq, sigh, my heart goes out to you. My prayers are with your family as you have to make this your reality for now. I pray that angels guard him until he returns to you safely. :hug:

So, as for me, I didn't get in my exercise as I had planned yesterday. I power shopped at Marshalls for several hours, does that count? LOL
DH finished putting DS's loft bed http://www.kidsquartersonline.com/gp...e-loft-bed.jpg together after work, and it looks great with the new paint. I bought him some curtains, which I thought looked nice - DH said that looked like "old lady curtains". Hmmmm. They look Asian influenced to me. Silk and crinkled, but subltle. What does he KNOW anyway! I mean, about design. Ok, so my son is 12, but I am sick of "themes" that they outgrow. I think a classic bedroom is a nice touch. He can accessorize with his own preteen touch. Hmmmph.
So, I'm off to make Bfast, have my coffee in hand...the PMS monster is lurking in me, and despite that, Life is Good!

Blessings to All!

little grasshopper 08-03-2006 09:27 AM

good morning ladies. I finally was able to sleep in today. It felt wonderful. I've needed it for a bit but kept waking up early and feeling tired all day.

Yesterday didn't go like planned. I ate well all day but when I got home I was starving!!! I ate the wrong things first...s/f pudding and then fruit...then realized it didn't matter what I was craving I needed meat and veggies. I finally ate meat and veggies but I'd eaten so much food my then that DF actually asked me if I was okay. We went to work out after that and I did my full weight workout. Trying to get back on track this morning.

Heading out for a good walk. I'm going to try to take a dog with me. We're working onthe walking thing. The one that is good at it doesn't need it as much as the one that likes to pull me. He's the high energy dog!!

Ruth - I'm glad you're getting a break from the heat. We'll sweat some for you. You don't even have to earn the sweat! Just walk outside :)

cottage - I agreee with you about stripping the land. It just looks like houses in a crop field when they do that!! I have tons and tons of trees and I love them all!!

okay better get my bottom in gear while I can still find it ;)

Tammy70 08-03-2006 10:06 AM

Good mornin' ya'll

Cottage--I completely understand the call of the margarita, I answer frequently when she calls, :o

Scully--you are such a sweet person, it just makes me feel good to read your posts.

Hi to everybody else, hope ya'll have a great day

Me...I've been doing really well. I'm watching my calorie and fat intake, seems to be working. Fitday has always been a daily activity for me, but now it seems to be a trustworthy friend, LOL :D
I've found that I lose better if I keep my calorie intake to 1200-1400 a day, which some days is really difficult to do. For the last couple weeks I've switched from regular eggs to an egg substitute, much less fat. And I've lost about 8 pounds. I've been steady at 192-193 for the last week, so all seems good, for now!!!!

But on the other end, I lost my himmy baby (himalayan cat) His name was Jack and he would have been 4 years old this week. I took him to the vet because he seemed like he was in pain and it turned out that he had crystals in his bladder that blocked him. So the vet did a cath. on him and all was well, they gave him an i.v. and I was leaving work early to visit him because they wanted to watch him overnight, and as I was leaving the office the vet calls to tell me he died. It happened Thursday and it has taken me days to get over it. I know some people will think I'm nuts but he was my baby and I just couldn't believe what had happened. He was the sweetest boy, and I just didn't realize how much he followed me through the house until the weekend without him. Every room I go in, I picture what he would be doing. anytime I sit on the couch, he would be in my lap. But, I can now talk about him without crying and I still have his sister. The other cats just roam from room to room looking for him. So that's where I've been the last week or so.

thanks for listening and ya'll have a wonderful day,
take care ;)

Scully1280 08-03-2006 10:37 AM

Oh Tammy

:hug: Thank you for the compliment...

More importantly, I am so sorry for the loss of your baby kitty. He was so young. I had a cat for 18 years that I ended up having to put to sleep. You are not crazy! Anyone who has ever had the love for an animal knows how important the life of that animal is, especially once they are gone. I remember the feeling of "seeing her" (her name was Pandora, she was pure white with blue eyes) I swear, I saw her animal spirit around my house for a long time. We planted a tree in front of our old house as a memorial to her. It helped in our loss. I have to make things symbolic - so, I planted a Bradford Pear tree - Pear for Pandora, which produces lovely white flowers in the Spring. It helped us remember the renewal of life during each Spring. I still miss her. I'm sure your other kitties miss Jack as much as you do. Animals have such emotion, even if they aren't as "intelligent" because thier brains are smaller than ours. Ha! I think animals have a unique intelligence and besides, they have a better internal sense of thier instinct.

Anyway, sorry sweetie. Remember to take care of yourself during this time.

little grasshopper 08-03-2006 10:50 AM

Tammy - You're not crazy at all! I don't have children so my dogs are my babies. I always worry that I'm offending or sounding silly to anyone with children, but it is what it is. They are my children. I'd do anything for them and it's going to crush me when they pass on. I understand completely! We hate taking vacations without our dogs so most of our trips are outdoors things they can enjoy too. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he had a great home and family. May you always remember him and hurt a bit less each day. We're here for you.

Ruthxxx 08-03-2006 11:04 AM

Aw, Tammy! You are not nuts at all! They do leave a big hole in our hearts when they pass on. Hugs and warm thoughts to you. :grouphug:

soon2Bfab 08-03-2006 11:09 AM

Morning all. Well I finally confronted my bully. She told me that she was basically doing it because I was allowing her - WTF? Who does that? What a sicko - ugh.
I'm still eating EVERYTHING in sight....not sure why, but it needs to stop - I've gained 5 lbs -ugh.
Everyone have a great day...I gotta go to work!

JessieW 08-03-2006 11:17 AM

Tammy, I cry when I think I've hurt my pup's feelings and he doesn't want to cuddle me. I hate to think of what I'll do when we lose him. It really does break your heart. Take time to heal. I think a memorial is a great idea.

Well, I've decided to forgo Phase 1 and let myself be not guilty for having a piece of 7 grain bread, etc. I felt like I ate everything in sight yesterday and then it only added up to 1600 calories. Not too bad! But too much sugar. I know the sugary stuff is just not good for my body, especially my skin which seems to have become the surface of the moon--bumpy!!! We have started our organic produce, eggs, and meat delivery and I am trying to eat mostly from that--lots of fresh veggies! I had a delicious fresh peach this morning. It makes me happy to know I am supporting a local farmer in Tennessee, all my produce was grown right here! I haven't tried the chicken yet but the lady I am sharing my share with says it was the least fatty she had ever had and just awesome. Woohoo!!

Tonight we're having a "created" recipe of pork chops with a sweet pepper sauce of fresh tomatoes, white bell pepper, and banana peppers. I might add some spices and a little canned tomato sauce, we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes! We will have it with sauteed yellow squash for me and black-eyes peas (all farm fresh!). This afternoon I have to go to a baby shower at work. I am really working on not eating unless I am hungry, so please think about me and say a little willpower prayer!

On an unhappy note, my car is dying. And as we just bought a house we're not exactly rolling in money to replace it. It is burning oil like there's no tomorrow, and last night it was smoking a little and the check engine light came on. I just feel very unsafe. It has 162,000 miles on it so I know it's to be expected but I REALLY need it to last a while longer!!

Jessie

Barb0522 08-03-2006 11:33 AM

cottage - I love my margaritas too! I have had to ask my husband to provide less temptation for me and it is working. For me, that means no eating at restaurants for awhile and I have told him absolutely to stop bringing home chocolate! Those appetizers are often fried and they just tear up my stomach. I feel so much better when I stay OP.

ruth - You are so right about July being a hard month. Actually I haven't done well this summer. And I'm due for my physical and want to be just a couple of pounds lower before I make the appointment. It feels so good getting regular exercise again and eating right.

rnmom - Sorry to hear your son is leaving again. That must be so hard. I've never been to the MOA but I've heard a lot of good things about it. And think of all that walking you will get!

jalene5 - I love trying new recipes. What has worked well this year is to track our meals in a calendar. Then when I am planning meals I can look back to see what we have tried before. I also put an abbreviation for the cookbook and put the page number in the calendar so it is fast to find the recipe. I have a lot of cookbooks and that saves me time.

scully - I like that loft bed! That looks like something my son would like. I personally would love to get the Pokemon wall decorations off the wall but my 9 year old isn't quite ready to give them up. And he loves his stuffed animals. So it may be awhile before we can go to a more classic look.

little grasshopper - Certain snacks just make me hungrier. I make sure I get a drink when I get home from work and then get right on fixing dinner.

tammy - It is normal to grieve when you lose someone. Cats are people too (or at least it seems like that sometimes).

Me - I am proud of myself. I've managed three totally OP days now even though I was tempted with truffles at the Scout planning meeting last night. And it is working. I'm down 3 pounds (of the 5 I gained in July) since Tuesday. I'm sure some was water but I'll take whatever I can get. And I've been exercising daily which helps too. I find that the more I stay OP, the easier it is to stay OP.

SarahinBalance 08-03-2006 12:20 PM

Mornin' ladies - Woke up feeling horrible about myself, was just praying and trying to feel better, got a cup of coffee on the way to my weights class, and after the weights class I felt so much better! I don't know if anyone else goes to Gold's Gym, but they have a body pump weights class that is an awesome workout... not quite cardio but def burning calories and def working up a sweat! I PIGGED OUT last night and probably ate about 2000 cals yesterday, but the good news is that I think I still had a defiicit because of exercise and moving boards.

Barb - Sounds like you are on top of things and that's awesome! Totally understand about eating out, I need to take your advice!

Jessie - Your produce sounds awesome! I love organic veggies and after you get off sugar, there's nothing better than fresh fruit!

Soon - Don't get too down on yourself! I TOTALLY understand that out of control feeling, but we need to find ways to deal with these feelings other than eating (easier said than done)...

Tammy - I'm so sorry for the loss! Like everyone else has said, our pets are our children... yesterday my dogs ran out in the street in front of cars and I almost burst into tears... luckily they are ok but I TOTALLy understand and feel ya

Grasshopper - You evening sounds like mine was with the suger, then meat and veggies with 3 beers added on top of that! Back on today...

Scully - Have a great day! Don't you hate the PMS monster?

Jalene - Have a great day! I'll have to try that recipe!

RNMom- Hang in there! I'll say a prayer for your son...

Cottage - I agree, no more excuses for myself! Wonder what I can do to constantly keep in my head how good it feels when I'm OP and losing?

Ruth - Yeah I definitely slipped in July, and it's hard to get the numbers to come back down again... my clothes are still fitting but the scale isn't showing it... I'm back and MOTIVATED in August... Summer is almost over so it's time to step it up!