Any success with ice cream makers?

• I just got an ice cream maker. Wondering if anybody has made splenda ice cream (ice milk, actually) and if you have any tips.

I was thinking that maybe smoothed ricotta or sf coolwhip might give it a less icey texture?

I also thought it might be used to make a frozen drink, like an iced capuccino.

Any ideas?

Thx
  • Hi Heidi - I've made the ziploc ice cream (in the recipe section somewhere) in the ice cream maker and it came out okay. It's been a few months, but I don't remember the texture being too off.

Good luck!
  • I have a Donvier Ice Cream maker. When I first got it, I tried the ice milk thing and did find it too icy. It also seemed to need more sweetener when frozen. The real recipes called for a custard base for the ice cream. If you are on Phase II, perhaps you could use a sf/ff pudding made with skim. Let us know how it turns out.
    Hmmmm - iced cappuchino sounds great! Maybe I'll dig it out of the yard sale box.
  • Hi, Heidi!

Making ice cream on SBD is very tricky! First of all, you need a heavy-duty IC maker. Ours is partly plastic and broke when we tried making our fourth batch.

We found that adding peanut butter to the mix made for the best ice cream...it's an SBD-safe fat and made for a much better texture. Splenda freezes very hard, so without the fat to help, you end up with a rock.

That said, there are other options. I'd try making a SF sweetened condensed milk and try that with recipes that call for sweetened condensed milk (search the net for one called "Jo's sweetened condensed milk"...I've used it before and it works very well in baking recipes). We had some success using SF pudding mixes. Try using a small bit of whole milk, or at least 2% milk. Try mixing Splenda and Stevia or Splenda and Erithrytol (you can buy it at www.netrition.com if you can't find it elsewhere) or even Splenda plus a SF syrup to try to make it less hard.

Let me know what you figure out...we finally got a new part for our IC maker and are ready to try again. I'm going to try one made with buttermilk, I think, to see what that might do...
  • No solution but interested to see others! I have made the Splenda-rock ice cream a few times and would love to find a way to make it SBD friendly and not so hard!!
  • I'm working on a recipe with a custard base. Eggs are ok SBD-wise, so that's a start. I'll post later to say if it works or not.
  • Hi,
    I caved and made it with sugar. The texture looked great and I am told it was very rich. I will replicate with Splenda today and compare the results.