South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #1  

Default I need advise and encouragement!

Now on week 3 of phase I and I have lost no pounds or inches. Besides increasing my activity level, is there anything any of you could suggest to help? I'm eating lots of veggies, drinking lots of water, adding beans to my salads. Virtually no other carbs to speak of. Just don't know what else to do.
Help, please!!!
I re-read the SBD book last night, and I think I'm doing everything according to plan.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How much do you weigh right now? If you have only a little bit to lose this may not be the plan for you. No other carbs? What about dairy? You may be cheating yourself out of protein.
It would be very helpful if you would post your day's menu with quantities. You could also run your foods through Fitday to see if there is something out of whack.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #3  

This may be heresy around here, but I have found after being on the South Beach Diet several times between pregnancies that I do much better when I count calories and stick to the SBD - basically, healthy calorie counting!

I think the SBD works no matter how much you have to lose - weight loss will be slower than some other diets if you have less to lose, but I find it much easier to incorporate into my life.

I have been on Phase I for 10 days and have only lost a pound - I was on a low carb diet before this so I doubt I am going to have the water weight loss others have the first two weeks (and that's what most of it is - you would have to eat 35,000 (2,500 calories a day) less than you did before dieting to lose 10 pounds of fat in two weeks . . .

I say stick with it - track your calories on Fitday to be sure that is not going overboard. Some might diagree, but I think the SBD is a great way to make healthy, nutrient dense choices which may have the overall effect of you eating less calories, but the fact of the matter is weight loss is simple math - you have to burn more than you taken in.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #4  

Thanks for the comments Ladies. I have 70 pounds to lose - I weigh 180 and need to be 110. Today I had a 2 egg & veggie omelet for breakfast, half a chicken breast for lunch (normally I would have had a salad, too, but didn't have time); mid afternoon had a small piece of lowfat cheese. for dinner I had lowfat ground beef with tomato sauce, a salad, and lowfat ricotta cheese for dessert. My portions aren't large, except possibly for the lunchtime salads. Maybe I need to monitor my exercise amounts. Will certainly make sure that my portions are reasonable. Thanks for the encourgement - I am NOT going to quit, ever. This is a lifetime change!
(I think I was sort of hoping for a quick fix anecdote - like so and so took a teaspoon of vinegar every day and jump started their loss. Whatever!) Anyway, I know there isn't a quick fix, I gained this slowly and it will come off slowly. thanks again
Old 07-08-2006, 06:23 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I think you need more veggies and dairy plus legumes. How many calories are you eating? Salads are great but you need a variety of healthy veggies. There's a thread in the FAQ about this. And water?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #6  

I'm drinking lots of water, and I am eating lots of veggies - I guess yesterday's menu wasn't the best example. Anyway, thanks. I'll go read the FAQ, and keep checking in here. This is a great place, wish I had found it years ago!
Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #7  

I would give Fitday a try - calories may be tooo low too! I also find it keeps me honest about how much I am really eating (no more having a spoon of peanut butter while I fix the kids lunches - don't want to walk upstairs and log it!)

You may want to see what your Basal Metabolic Rate is - there are calculators on the web which will tell you how much you burn just being you! I would be careful about the activity level you put in, too - many of us are less active than we think we are! Lots of these calculators have descriptions of activities - walking/housework/gardening etc. usually fall into light activity . . .
Closed Thread