what protein powder do you use?

• I've been making the mocha frappucino's several times a week and I thought why not beef it up w/ more protein, like many of you suggested. But what type do I get? There are so many, I know to stay away from the ones with high sugar content but I was just wondering which ones you all buy?

thanks for the info!!!!
  • I use the vanilla flavored Carb Solutions that I get from Jewel/Osco or Dominicks, but it probably has a high sugar content. I absolutely love the taste though. But, if you are mixing it with something else, I know Walmart has a low sugar powder that tastes awful but is very high in protien and very cheap because you buy such a large container.
  • I don't know about the Carb Solutions but it sounds low carb - worth investigating! I use Designer Whey Chocolate - which is low carb, no sugar - and it tastes really good I think. I got it at GNC because that was the one I heard tasted the best - I don't know because it is the only one I have ever tried!
  • According to Dr Agatston and the guide, shake mixes are not to be used on Phase I. You can get plain unflavoured soy or whey protein at bulk food stores or just add pasteurized liquid egg white to increase the protein.

Here are the stats per Fitday:
    1 Tablespoon protein powder - 112 calories, 9 protein and 14 carbs
    3 egg whites - 50 calories, 10 protein and 1 carb
  • I also use the GNC whey. My DH said Soy is better suited for females (Got no REAL answer why) but the calories where like 70 More! Ummm no thanks
  • Do the Liquid Egg whites affect the texture of the shake?
  • Powdered Skim Milk?
    I was reading "Weight Training for Dummies" and they suggested adding powdered milk (skim) to add protein to smoothies rather than the other protein powders on the market. The book goes on to say you will get the same amount of protein for less money.

I haven't researched this yet - I would rather do that or add plain yogurt to smoothies versus shelling out for protein powder.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thx Sue
  • Quote: I was reading "Weight Training for Dummies" and they suggested adding powdered milk (skim) to add protein to smoothies rather than the other protein powders on the market. The book goes on to say you will get the same amount of protein for less money.

I haven't researched this yet - I would rather do that or add plain yogurt to smoothies versus shelling out for protein powder.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thx Sue
    I dont' know as much as others that could answer you but I would think that there could be nothing wrong with adding non-fat milk powder. I used to do that when I was pregnant. I got the recipe from the What to expect when you are expecting book.
  • I'm on Phase 2 and use GeniSoy Ultra XT..I'm on a berry smoothie kick right now... and add a scoop to 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1 container of bunny lite yogurt, and 1 cup of frozen berries.

Calories for the Soy - 120
    Fat - 0
    Cholesterol - 0
    sodium - 310mg
    carbs - 5 all fiber
    Protein -25 grams
  • Silken/soft tofu works great in smoothies, they even make low fat versions. I've seen it at Whole Foods Market. You have to be careful with tofu because silken is also a brand name-so check the package very carefully, it has to say soft also. I made the mistake of buying a package of "Silken" and it turned out to be extra firm. Won't work in smoothies.

I know it sounds odd, but when it's blended with ice and flavorings you can't tell it's tofu. And if you put some in the fridge it almost has the consisitency of ice milk-ok, ok, maybe yogurt.