South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #1  

Default Change in Cycle

Sorry if this is too much information, but I'm just curious if there might be a link between starting SBD and a change in my cycle.

I'm on the pill, and normally get my period midway through the last week of pills (the sugar pills). Apparently that's abnormal, most people get their period at the very beginning of that week. I started SBD two weeks ago, and for the first time, got my period the first day of the last week of my pack of BC pills. Could there be a link? I've recently started to suspect that I may have PCOS, but haven't taken any steps towards getting diagnosed. I know that's a metabolic disorder that SBD is supposed to be able to help. Could that be what's going on?

Thanks,
Rachel
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, South Beach does help with PCOS and it's not TMI! We discuss nearly everything here.

The diet could be causing changes in your periods as it really is a lifestyle change. The other (and younger!) chicks may have some insight. I can barely remember having periods!

Aside from that, how are things going for you? Are you still going crazy with the food choices?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Hi!
I have what I believe is PCOS- I don't get my cycle for months at a time...very frustrating. Last December, when I started Phase 1, I got my cycle two weeks in, and continued regularly until I went off the beach. Then, once I was off, I was irregular again.
I wonder why...maybe the protein? Maybe the balance of everything? Who knows!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #4  

Things are so much better since starting phase 2. Just being able to have some Kashi with a few strawberries in the morning makes everything so much better. I've still been eating lunches and dinners that are pretty much phase one, but only because that's what I like and what's easiest for me. Thanks for asking.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #5  

Hey girls! I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have had the months of missing one altogether. The doctor suggested South Beach and for some reason it helps me. I don't know if it is the weight loss or what! I am just glad it is working being that I lost 1 ovary already to PCOS.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #6  

Hi!

I hope you don't mind if I butt in here...I'm not officially on SBD but I am on a lowcarb/complex carb plan.

One of the main factors they discovered about PCOS is Insulin Resistance. A lot of women with PCOS have been put on Insulin Sensitising meds like Glucophage and/or switched to a low carb way of eating and it has brought back their periods or regulated them - me being one of them!

I'm not sure how it would 'work' in conjunction with BCP's as I was always told those periods were not 'real' but were withdrawal bleeds from being on the sugar pills or no pills for the week.

It might not hurt to get some bloodwork done to check for Insulin Resistance and PCOS. There is a good site which has lots of info and lists tests you should get done at http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=in...ity101&id=2#76.

There are also lots of support groups for PCOS on the net if you do get a diagnosis.

Sarah
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #7  

The same thing has happened with me! Last year I had a total of 3 periods I think. I still hadn't had one this year yet until I started SBD. I had a period about 3 weeks after I started this diet. I thought maybe it was a coincidence until today, when I started another period. That is as close to regular as I have ever been!
I have only lost about 10 pounds total(I keep falling off plan). But I am sold that it has something to do with the weight loss. More motivation I guess!! Now I just need to get a lot more serious about the diet!!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #8  
South Beach Goddess

S/C/G: 191/158/145

Just wanted to say that my TOM always comes midway through that last week. I wasn't aware that it's abnormal. Normal to me. Changes in eating & activity oftentimes do affect your period. People with eating disorders & athletes are known for it. Me - mine has stayed regular.
I just started a new bc pill a few months ago & I like it lots. Ortho Tri-Cycline Low. According to my beliefs, the less meds you have to take, the better.
Just my 2 cents.
Closed Thread