3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Flaxseed 'n' yogurt (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/84823-flaxseed-n-yogurt.html)

SunLit 05-19-2006 02:38 PM

Flaxseed 'n' yogurt

This isn't a recipe, don't worry! Well, it kind of is.

Is adding a tablespoon of flaxseed meal to yogurt an effective way of balancing the carbs in the yogurt with a fat/fiber? I usually add fresh fruit to yogurt, but that makes my entire snack a sugary carb-fest and I'd like to avoid that.

Any thoughts? On this or other good stuff to add to yogurt? Thanks.

beachgal 05-19-2006 02:51 PM

Amen, SunLit!!! I love that, personally! :T 2 Tbsp is a serving of flaxseed, and it's so good for you! The really important thing, though, is that you use flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed) instead of just the seeds (I know you know this...but just for anyone else who's reading). Otherwise, the seeds just go straight through your system and out the other end, IYKWIM...

Though yogurt is processed by the body as a carb, it does have protein in it, so it should be released into the bloodstream a little slower than simple carbs would. Flaxseed, however, would be a great way to make sure of that, though.

Good work! :bravo: I like to add a tsp of SF jam (in P2), some cinnamon (helps fend off Type 2 Diabetes), and flaxseed to plain FF yogurt. So good! :T

Wannabe Hotmama 05-19-2006 03:04 PM

Excuse my ignorance but WTH is flaxseed? Where do you get it?

SunLit 05-19-2006 04:24 PM

:D Laurie, my roommates laugh at me because I add cinnamon to nearly everything! I make turkey burgers with it, put in in mock French toast, even stir fries!

wannabe, flaxseed is a little seed that can be ground up into meal or they also have flaxseed oil. It's very beneficial, here's what Bob's Red Mill has to say about it:

"Ground flaxseeds have a nutty taste and are a noted health-giving digestive aid. They are also high in fiber and are powerful natural cholesterol controllers. In a 2 Tablespoon serving size (13 grams) the fiber content is 1.33 grams of Soluble Fiber and 2.67 grams of Insoluble Fiber. Ground Flaxseeds are a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. In a 2 Tablespoon serving, there is 2400 mg of Omega 3."

40poundsago 05-19-2006 04:37 PM

not to be another ignorant person on the thread but what exactly does omega 3 do for you? I know I hear about it being good for you, but I am wondering why is it?

Ruthxxx 05-19-2006 05:42 PM

It's good for you because it reduces cholesterol. If you Google it, there's lots of info.

batmomm2000 05-19-2006 05:46 PM

wheat germ is good in yogurt too!!

also if you add frozen fruit instead of fresh fruit, it ices up your yogurt and makes it quite delish!