South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Question Confused about this forum

Hi,

I'm new to South Beach and have read other intros by others hoping questions would have been answered there and I wouldn't have to duplicate anything.

There is reference to the book and to going to the sticky for the book. What book are you referring to and where is the sticky? The book I have is over ten years old. It's the original version. Is this what everyone is using? If so, I noticed that the lists here are different from the lists in the book. The book is much more limited. If the lists of foods have been expanded, are the results still the same? And does anyone know WHY the lists were expanded? In other words, did Agatston expand the list to make it easier for people to stick with this? Or did he expand the list because new research or whatever suggested that the additions were erroneously prohibited when he launched this program.

Also, several threads are closed. Is there a limit to how much can be posted under a particular subject?

I was with Calorie Counters before so I am quite familiar with 3FC; it's this particular forum that is a bit confusing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

to South Beach. Yes, we're a big Forum - almost as big as Weight Watchers.

Daily chat threads are closed daily. Other threads are closed when the original poster's question has been answered, the thread is too long or the thread is going off topic.

The book you have is fine except for the food lists. The new book has revised food lists which are the same as the lists in our FAQ. I believe Dr A added more foods because of updated nutrition research - milk and tomatoes, for example.

Please join the Phase I Chick Check thread which we monitor and try to answer questions and critique menus.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #3  

Thank you for answering. I'll try to follow along. I am considering joining SBD online. What do you suggest?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

to South Beach, Diva!

So glad you've read the book! It's really important on any plan, I believe, but especially so with South Beach. The new book has the newer lists and has updated scientific info along with an increased emphasis on exercise, so it might be work skimming it for that extra info--you could just pick up a copy at the library so you don't have to pay for it.

Ruth answered your questions very well (as she always does! ). As far as I know, Dr. A made changes only when scientific info indicated it would be useful. For instance, bananas were on the "Foods to Avoid" list in the beginning. Later on, when more information about Glycemic Load (GL) as well as Glycemic Index (GI) was learned, he took bananas off the "Foods to Avoid" list and put medium sized bananas on the "Foods to Enjoy" list. They had learned that even though bananas have a very high GI number, the amount of them that you eat at a sitting (in other words, the GL) has an impact on that GI. A medium banana (or smaller) doesn't have enough of an impact on blood sugar to make it a food to avoid.

Glad to have you with us!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #5  

So glad to hear about the bananas. That was a huge issue for me! Really huge! Are any of you guys using SBD Online?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I was planning to sign up for SBD online, but after some consideration and being here for awhile realized that I have all the support and tools that I need here! Bonus: It's free!

I find that I do well when I have a good understanding of what foods I can and cannot eat and when I check in frequently here.

Welcome and good luck!
Closed Thread