Protein/Fat/Carb ratio

• I just put in my food info over at fitday to see where I am calorie-wise but the food percentages really have no meaning to me. Is there any particular percentage I should be aiming for?
  • Good question - this is something I was also considering. I've been reading in the posts today - and I think I need to start using Oil Sprays vs. Olive Oil sometimes. My fat ratio is somewhat too high, possibly.
  • I agree, especially since my trainer just recently told me that fat should only account for 10% of my diet. AND that I should be getting up to 70 grams of protein a day and yesterday was 90. Feel like I'm eating too much fat and protein and not enough carbs?
  • There's no one set ratio.. the "experts" debate the % on each...and take issue with the USDA recommendations -- and there is no discussion on this in the SB book..
    Each one of us is different, and may have health issues that impact on the % (e.g. folks with Kidney problems need to watch their protein intake.)...so with that being said.....

Here is a link to a site that provides not only recommended daily calorie intake, but the breakdown for you based on your age, gender, and lifestyle. It may hel you set a benchmark for each food type and will enable you to tweak it based on how your body responds to/processes each type.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/calories-burned.html
  • We talked about this a little a while back.
    Go to this link.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74324
  • Thanks Demeter! I'm going senile I changed my % based on the calcs in the link... I'm doing 45 carb/25 fat/30 protein now.
  • Thanks for the links. I believe I'm done for the day foodwise and I'm at 41% fat, 35% carbs and 24% protein. Guess I'm low on the protein today but I ate a lot of veggies. I also ate canadian bacon and a diner egg, which I hardly ever do so that brought up my fat. I'm probably a little low on the calorie side today so maybe I'll have some protein powder in water to bring my protein up a notch.
  • Ok, I added the protein drink and it changed to 38% fat, 32% carbs and 30% protein. That seems better I guess.