South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #1  

Question Breakfast at a diner

Hi need some guidance here if anybody can offer any. Tomorrow will be Day 3 of Phase 1 for me and I have my weekly breakfast meeting at 7AM for our Kiwanis group. Luckily we get to order our breakfast off menu at the local diner where we hold the meeting. And this is just a local place not a Dennys or someplace you can look up online..an honest to goodness diner with great food where the cook greets everyone and everybody gathers to gossip & cut early morning business deals. I just need to clear up some confusion though so I don't mess myself up by eating a lot of bad fat & I'm not terribly certain from reading the revised food list.

1.) Being a pork bacon girl (some things we have to sacrifice) I'm not real familar with having Ham & Eggs for breakfast. The kind of ham that is served at breakfast is that a boiled ham slice or other type of generally allowable protein on Phase 1? I highly doubt I'll find turkey bacon, smoked salmon or Canadian bacon tomorrow at the diner. I also know that pork bacon & sausage are off limits.

2.) Griddle grease Anybody have any ideas what kind of oil most diners use on their griddles these days? I know the eggs there are cooked right on the griddle.

I was sorta thinking of 2 eggs over medium, ham & a side of sliced tomatoes in lieu of potatoes, no toast. They have everything under the sun there for breakfast eggs, omellettes, griddle stuff (like pancakes), Mexican breakfasts & country specialities like chicken fried steak and biscuits & gravy so, if anyone can think of a better game plan than the one I mentioned at the top of this paragraph please let me know. I'm game & I have a fairly wide palate.

Thanks tons.

Sue
Broomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:22 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sue, the only thing I'd go with in terms of meat is canadian bacon, if they happen to have it for some odd reason. Otherwise, just avoid meat. If you can get lean turkey (such as they might use for lunch), go for it...but otherwise, just avoid it.

Let them know that you are trying to eat healthy oils...ask if they can cook your eggs with as little grease as possible. I'm pretty sure they're using the trans-fat-full products made for griddles...the worst kind.

See if you can get some cottage cheese (they often have this) with your tomatoes...or if they have any other veggies...an omelet with cheese and veggies can be very filling and a great way to fill up. If the cheese is the regular kind (full-fat), just try to keep your amount of saturated fat low during the rest of the day to compensate...or bring your own cheese and put it on top as soon as you get your food so it'll melt a little.

Good luck!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'd go for an all veggie omelet with no toast or potatoes. I'm sure the cook has sliced tomatoes to dress up the plate.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:06 AM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

I'd think ham would be okay, too. Maybe try poached eggs, as they'd be less greasy? I don't know where you're located, so I don't know what sorts of menu items are usually found in your area, but here at least you can often get grilled tomato on the side, too (depending on the diner). Good luck!
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #5  

Beachgal, Ruth & H2-ko (sp??)..

Thanks for all your advice. Got there and didn't even see ham so meat options were few did luck out and find the following omelette:

3 eggs with cheddar, turkey, onions, & mushrooms. Topped with avocado and served with a side of salsa. I had tomatoes on the side too but the omellette was so filling I barely touched the tomatoes. And I just really watched it the rest of the day because of the real cheese.

Didn't think of the half & half though and I just can't drink black coffee so had one of those bitty things of that too since it was hard to get the waitress when you have 1 girl waitng on 25 people.

Sue
Broomy is offline   Reply With Quote