South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb What have you learned since starting SBD?

Feel free to post whatever you have learned here! Could be something about yourself...new, healthy habits...ways to stay OP...anything! for learning!

I have learned:
  • That I actually *can* lose weight!
  • Giving up sugar, while hard, makes ALL the difference for me
  • I use sugar and simple carbs as drugs
  • I'd done diet before and I'd done exercise. I'd never combined them before now...what a powerful combination they are!!!
  • Drinking water keeps me from snacking and helps me feel so much better...though it does make me best friends with the nearest bathroom!
  • I have more inner strength and willpower than I ever knew. rettyplease:
  • I definitely kept my fat because it helped me hide, kept me 'invisible', and kept me from having to 'measure up' to others.
  • Exercise can give me just as much (if not more!) pleasure than eating. Wow!!!
  • I was spending so much money on food...and it's much more fun to spend it on clothes, music, and other fun things!
  • My DH, friends, and family can be really supportive of this change...and they can also try to sabotage it if I don't stand up for myself.
  • Posting on 3FC and journaling keep me OP. Yay for supportive online friends!
  • I really missed sitting with my legs curled up to my chest, tying my shoes while bending over my knees, and being able to move my body.
  • The more you exercise, the smaller you get, and the easier it is to move your body. It REALLY does start with a single step.
  • Doing P1 without cheats is essential. If you cheat, start over.
  • You can make almost any food SBD safe. The only things I've come across so far that are difficult-impossible are Creme brulee and things that require carmelizing.
  • I really do like eating healthy, and I love the way I feel when I do.
  • I could eat veggies...I just had to take baby steps, make them in ways that tasted good to me, and pinch my nose when I had to in order to get them down. I've actually learned to love several of the ones I would never go near with a 10-foot pole before!
  • Friends, like the ones here, make all the difference. Thanks, Beachies!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #2  
gotta lose it!

Laurie - what a great post!!!
I have learned the same things now I just have to enforce them! My stomach & I have also learn to stay away from sugar free sweets!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #3  
South Beach Life Style

So far on This SB way,

* That I can eat alot in a day, and still be below 1000 cals

* There is no feeling like losing the first 10 lbs.

* That The bathroom is my new best friend, As water makes you go

* That even though I may faulter along the way, one day is
fine, two is unacceptable, I CAN get back on the wagon!

* That 3FC has helped me in sooo many ways that It is astoundng

* I get just as excited when someone reports weight loss here, It feels
like a victory for all......not just one .....

I am still learning as I go along, this is my second week of the SB way of life.
I am eager to learn and excited to see results..
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #4  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Burger King and Pizza Hut really aren't that great!

It's amazing how I've lost my taste for that kind of food, and I used to eat it at least once a week (usually more...) I think SBD has taught me how to make MUCH healthier decisions about my food AND enjoy them too!

Ditto on the exercise giving me almost as much pleasure as eating. I am getting to the point where I really look forward to my evening workouts.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

I must say that I agree with everything that everyone has said here. Laurie--Great post and can relate to every word. I have learned that this is definately a way of life for me. I used to be a WW and cannot believe how much junk I ate on it. Most of those things I have no desire to eat at all anymore--I don't even like pizza from the pizza place anymore, I only like the kind that I make with ww roll-ups. Never would have thought that would happen in a million years since that was one of my faovite foods. Just never thought I could drop so much weight, enjoy exercise, and be happy doing it. Plus the support here is amazing and such great ideas and people--it's just amzaing.
Lindy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #6  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

*Plan, plan, plan! When I'm starving and have nothing OP handy that's when bad eating happens.

*Water, water, water! It makes my skin glow, keeps me unbloated, and less hungry

*Portion control is the key. Writing down what I eat and keeping track of calories helps me stay honest and actually think about what I put into my mouth.

*Junk food doesn't really taste that good after all...and it makes me feel awful.

*Seeing the scale move down is infinitely more satisfying than chomping on some sugar or fatty stuff.

*SBD is easy and flexible. It really is the best plan for eating there is out there. No cravings plus healthy food! What can beat that?

*You gals here are great and really help keep me motivated.
pearshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Ah, I think it's great that you all love it here as much as I do!

Great learning, chicas! I love learning from all of you...this plan is so flexible that it's great to hear how each person is using it.

MsCrockett, were you meaning (with the part about 1000 cals) to say that you find yourself able to eat a lot more on this plan or are you really trying to eat less than 1000 cals a day? In case it's the latter, remember that anything less than 1200 is likely to send you in starvation mode (and can be unhealthy). Plan to get at least 1200 cals a day, okay?

I agree, MsCrockett...when anyone loses, I feel like we all do. It's a very good thing to hear about everyone's success!

I agree about the healthy food. It's amazing how good it can taste!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 142/135/120

Height: 5'3"

1. Calorie Counting is a must for me as well as the SBD - as others have said it makes me more accountable for what I toss in my mouth - even sugar free gun at 5 calories a piece adds up.

2. I really need this website for support and I come here first thing in the morning and when I get home from work. Thanks!!!!

3. Beware of mind games and sabbatoge from those around you ans especially from thine own sabbatoging self!!!

4. It's true...it never thought it was....but it's true. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #9  
Bird Nerd

I have learned that I CAN avoid temptations in the office such as cake, cookies, and candy and by doing so I feel powerful.
wildlifebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've learned that the way to avoid cookies and cake is to NOT have even one. I've also started eating more vegetables and am actually enjoying fruits besides berries! I'm on my way!
I sure spend a lot of time reading labels too!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Hey, reading labels is a good thing, Ruthie! I hear you on the "don't even eat one!" thing.

Freezing things helps me a lot. If I get them in the freezer as soon as they cool, then I'm more likely to stick to just one.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #12  

I have learned that you really CAN lose your cravings for sugar! I'm very impressed with that fact! (happy too! )
Craftinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Isn't that amazing, Craftin'? I couldn't believe it was possible to not feel hungry all the time!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifebio
I have learned that I CAN avoid temptations in the office such as cake, cookies, and candy and by doing so I feel powerful.
Oh don't you love the POWERFUL feeling???????
Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
Isn't that amazing, Craftin'? I couldn't believe it was possible to not feel hungry all the time!
it's so nice not to have food on the brain all the time!