South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #1  

Default Weekend Worrying

Our Gourmet Club meets Friday night. I was hoping to be able to choose well...veggies, protein, salad, etc., but the hostess just called to say they will have a pasta bar. Could it be any worse on SBD? She asked me to bring an appetizer. I am considering Shrimp so I can fill up on that! I definitely need to eat some protein before the tempting pastas show up.

If you have suggestions and strategies that will help me not to derail, please let me know!
Thanks!!! Meg
FocusedThisTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #2  

Are you on phase2? If so, I would suggest that you bring the shrimp appetizer but you might also consider making a pasta dish using whole wheat pasta and lots of veggies. I have a recipe in the phase 2 entrees with Ham, zucchini, and asparagus with whole wheat penne and a "cream" sauce that is made with skim evaporated milk. I bring that or a lasagne quite often to potluck type stuff since I am less tempted to eat off plan if I have yummy pasta dishes that I bring.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Meg, ask if they can provide (or if they already will be providing) a salad for you. If possible, you can either bring some lunch meat (or whatever strikes your fancy) to put on the salad or you might be able to use some of their protein if it's one of those pasta bars where you add your own protein and sauces to the pasta. Try to get more info and let her know what your needs are. I know how hard it is to make a fuss and bother people, sometimes, but I've never run into anyone who is frustrated or upset with me for asking for help with my diet. Most people (especially women) totally understand and are very accommodating.

That said, I'd bring an appetizer that's easy for you to use as a main dish, if you have to, like 3-bean salad, or the shrimp you mentioned, but bring a veggie dish for yourself to help you fill up.

Like Barb mentioned, if you're on Phase 2, you can have Whole Wheat pasta. See if they are willing to try making one of the pastas whole wheat! With the new food pyramid out, a lot of people are starting to focus on eating whole grains and they may appreciate the chance to try it! If you are on P2 and they won't do whole wheat, ask if someone can ensure that one of the pastas (and remembers which one) is made from Durum Semolina (whole, not enriched). You can have that once a month on P2...it's the same as regular pasta, just high quality. That oughta fit in for a gourmet club! Bring your own sauce or ask if they will have Pesto, Bruschetta, or a pasta pomodoro...any of them are SBD safe, usually.

There's tons of ways around this girl...and I'm glad you're thinking that way. Like Sandi's sig says, "If you want it, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse." Good job "finding a way"!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #4  

Thank you. Great suggestions. I know this hostess quite well, so I will call her tomorrow and get to planning. Barb, I just began ph 2 so I have not really experiemented with all the options available...I appreciate the encouragement.
and Laurie...Sandi's sig may become my new mantra! That's really good. Both of you have had awesome weight losses! Obviously you are the ladies to listen to! I will post how it goes.
Meg
FocusedThisTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #5  

Just a tip on the WW pasta...If you can get Dreamfields brand, I doubt you'll notice any difference in taste or texture from refined flour pasta.

Good Luck Focused!!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote