South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:49 AM   #61  

Pilot's Wife - I read that last month - right now it's in my very favorite book spot - lol. I flew through it - I could not put it down - it was a fantastic book!

Heather
Old 02-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #62  
I vant to draw your blood

I'm doing "research" reading right now. Since my plan is to target my manuscripts to the "NEXT" line from HQN, I've been reading those voraciously.

I just finished a couple of the earlier releases, Sandwiched, by Jennifer Archer and The Payback Club, by Rexanne Becnel.

While I enjoyed both of these, I was a teensy bit disappointed in The Payback Club b/c to me, "the other woman" didn't get her comuppance.

Sandwiched is a book that every woman can relate to who has raised kids while dealing with older parents.

For those of you who might be tempted to dismiss these as "oh, Harlequin, eh, those trashy romances. Nope. These are NOT romances. The NEXT imprint is a line of books about the next chapter of a woman's life. Beyond the boyfriends and babies.

If you're looking for a positive message about life for women "of a certain age" pick one up and give it a read.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #63  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mamacita, that sounds like a really interesting line of books! I've been wondering about that as I really enjoy romance novels, but now that I'm married, I kind of wonder why some of the heroines are so young and frivolous. This sounds like a great answer to that issue.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #64  

Smile

I am in the middle of reading Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire. It is the sequel to Wicked.

I also have two book waiting in the wings...Cellular by Stephen King and Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. I have a 40 minute 'el' ride to work everyday...so I read a lot
Old 02-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #65  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Right now I'm reading the healing power of Qi and Will write for food
I need a good fiction book to sink my teeth into
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #66  
I can do this!

Anna, I can't wait to read that book (Son of a Witch)! Are you enjoying it? I've loved all of his books so far and think this might be fabulous.

KO, there's tons of great ideas in this thread for fiction. What type are you looking for?

I just finished a great self help book and then started back into "Getting The Love You Want", an oldie-but-goodie psych book that I started over Thanksgiving. My therapist recommended it and I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to trying the exercises with my husband.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #67  

I'm about to start Angels & Demons by Dan Brown.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #68  

Since I just started my first outside sales job, I am finishing up a book called Ready Set Sell by Don Mastrangelo. I'm also reading a personalized self improvement book by the Think TQ folks, based on an online test I took. It's another website, I don't know if 3FC will delete this link or not, so if you want the link, E-mail me at [email protected].
Anyway, it's based on 10 performance factors you answer questions about and how they affect your life and career based on your test results.
At the same time, I do a LOT fo audiobooks. I have a Think TQ audio on the energy facotr and I'm listening to Guerilla Selling by William Gallagher
Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #69  
I can do this!

Hey, chickies! Bumping this thread back up...

I'm in the middle of three books right now...I try not to do that, but there are just too many fun things to read!

I am LOVING Geneen Roth's When Food is Love...I underline just about every word...I can SO relate to what she's saying!!! Some of it is like tough love...but it's honest and helps me be honest with myself. The best part is that she really gets what it's like to have this terribly dysfunctional relationship with food. She has so many great ideas for how to deal with it...and I love that she is so brutally honest about what she is going through (and has gone through) so that we can really get what she's saying and trust her. Has anyone else read her books? I've ordered all the rest from used book sources on the web and can't wait to read (and underline ) my way through those, too. Here's one of the many, many quotes I love from her book:

Quote:
“Later, alone at the table, I was thinking about Lyn’s visit. I was thinking that compulsions are rarely what they seem to be. I was thinking that concerns about our bodies cover deeper concerns about other things that cover even more basic concerns about ourselves. Being a terrible writer, I thought, is not what Lyn is afraid of. [When Roth asked her, Lyn told her that she was afraid of being a terrible writer and that’s why she felt she needed to lose weight. Later on, Lyn calls her and says that she wasn’t entirely honest…]…’I know this is going to sound corny, but I think what I am afraid of is not being good enough. That something deep down is wrong with me and that I am not worth loving.’”
--Geneen Roth, When Food is Love, pp. 19-20
I'm listing to the book Rebel Angels on CD...it's the sequel to A Dangerous Beauty...very interesting! Kind of Fantasy/Sci Fi-ish in nature and actually meant for Young Adults...but really engaging to me (does that mean I'm immature? )

I'm also reading the third book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series: Girls in Pants. Yet another YA book...but so much fun and reminds me a lot of my dearest friends.

I read James Patterson's Honeymoon for my most recent book club meeting...it was really different and definitely kept me reading. I didn't like some of the graphic scenes, but I liked the psychological mind games the characters played with each other.

I also finished a book by a local author, Louise A. Blum, called Amnesty. It was fabulous...I know her, so I was praying that I would like it...and thrilled that I didn't have to work hard to enjoy it at all. She writes prose like it's poetry...amazing!

So...what are you reading?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #70  

That Food=Love book sounds interesting, Laurie, particularly the quote you mentioned. I might pick it up.

But right, I'm working my way through One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I'm enjoying it very much, my first foray into magical realism. However, I keep leaving the book at my parents' house and not being able to finish. Maybe this weekend will cap it off.

Then, I'll move on to The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, which looks like a fun cross between chick lit and historical romance.

In between, I'm reviewing Pride and Prejudice and Emma, because I'll be teaching a class on the two books (and corresponding movies) this summer.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #71  

I'm reading the Shadow of the Lion by Mercedes Lackey. It's a wonderful fantasy book but is 824 pages which makes it a little hard to carry around or to read while riding the stationary bike. I have the sequel to read right after this but they are due back at the library next week so I think I will be renewing them!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 PM   #72  
Pirate

Hmm.. well, professionaly, I have just finished Lord of the Flies with my sophomores and Catcher in the Rye with my juniors. Various plays I suppose.. Hamlet and The Merchant of Venice and all the fun stuff.. Like someone mentioned a few posts back, I also get burnt out on "the classics" when I spend units on top of units deeply analying every chapter and phrase.

For fun I read a lot of comics because they're easy and you can let your imagination handle a lot of it. I'm reading Eiichiro Oda's "One Piece" series.. only on volume 18 of 29 though.. though I do have all the newer ones stockpiled for when I get to them.

Other than that, I mostly just flip through books I have already read. I'm a Harry Potter fan so I re-read any of the 6 at any times, usually.

On the kinda-boring side, I'm also always finding new Japanese books to stay fluent in speaking, reading, and writing. Magazines, the comic books (like Oda's) and stuff.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #73  
I can do this!

Barb, I think hefting that book might qualify as a workout in itself! Sounds like Lackey's become as verbose as Rowling!

I love Jane Austin. Which movies are you doing, Sunlit?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #74  
I can do this!

Barb, I thought of you when I was renewing several big books at the library yesterday. Thankfully, one is on CD, so I don't have to carry it around.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #75  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

Salt Water Tanks for Dummies It is up & running (well with live rock, crabs, snails, starfish, and a couple corals)
Closed Thread