South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:40 AM   #1  
kpw

Default "SBD" Kraft foods rant

Recently at the store looking at the ingredients at some of the Kraft suppos-ed "SBD" friendly foods (yeah, yeah, I know, for P2 and beyond and not as a steady thing). Frankly, if those foods didn't have the SBD 'seal of approval' I would never consider eating them, even occasionally. Many ingredients are things Dr. A *explicitly* tells us to avoid. Marketing <sheesh> - I'll stick with my own foods and more natural products (yay Trader Joe's!). What a sell-out. Very annoyed.

</rant>
Old 01-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

You're not alone - you might like to read this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51599
Old 01-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I agree! Plus they don't taste very good either. Very "packaged" tasting. Yuck. It's probably all the preservatives and chemicals in them that give them that predictable taste. You're right to stay away.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/203/150

Ok - I may be in the minority, but some of the foods aren't all that bad. I just buy the grilled chicken or delux veg pizza.

Can I make the same thing at home better? Absolutley. I have a very active 3 year old and a 7 month old to run around after and I don't always have the time and/or motivation.

I don't rely on these things as an everyday thing, but they are certainly useful when I'm short on time or just plain exhausted and need a quick meal. I try to make up for it by drinking extra water and watching my calories and sodium for the rest of the day.

Just my opinion
Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #5  
South Beach Goddess

S/C/G: 191/158/145

Thumbs down

Yeah, I thought it was pretty messed up when I bought the Kraft Italian salad dressing- It says it's recommended for Phase I, II, & III. Then I get home and see that it has carrots in it. What a joke. I'm pretty sure that the carrots aren't going to make me gain 10 lbs but why don't they just leave them out?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #6  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

My convenience food is the canned lc protein shakes. In the GCGF book it says Adkins bars are off limits but the shakes are not. I use the slimfast ones cause they're cheaper and the ingredients are very similar. They're good in a pinch to keep your metabolism up and they don't cause cravings cause there's no sugar inthem. IMO having that is better than skipping a meal and the blood sugar highs and lows that follow. They're not whole foods though and are very processed so should probably be limited but I do use them sometimes.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #7  

I think these products work in a pinch. I think the frozen entrees are okay but I really like the deluxe pizza and the meal replacement bars. I like the meal replacement bars a little too much so I try and limit those to a couple a week.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #8  
beachbum

Hi Chicks

In my supermarket they took the South Beach Entrees & Pizzas off the shelves. The only ones left are the Cereals,replacement bars,cookies and wraps. Ask about the removal,apeople aren't buying them. I had them once and like we say thereFRANKENFOODS

Hugs BB
Old 01-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #9  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

I didn't go for the frozen dinners too much. None looked appealing and all those things, no matter what brand, taste pretty much the same. (Coming from someone who once upon a time lived on Lean Cuisines) I will confess that I did enjoy the Meal Replacement Bars (Cinnamon Creme especially). I don't buy these regularly, but will have one occasionally if I'm on the run.

I think I did see SUGAR (bad!) on the list of ingredients for the SBD cookies, though!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #10  
South Beach Goddess

S/C/G: 191/158/145

I've tried 2 of the frozen dinners - the pork one and the chicken one! I have one word, "Yucky!". That's the best word to describe them. It's like they're trying too hard and have them way over seasoned and the sauces are just plain horrible! Too many weird flavors. I am a person that appreciates spices and seasonings but they need to tone it down. Yuck!

I give them 5 barfs. lol.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #11  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

5 barfs, ...
Old 01-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

DH and I were watching TV last night and he saw a commercial for one of these products. He looked at me and said 'Aren't we supposed to be eating natural food?' He was floored at the concept...but I can see how they'd work in a pinch.

I personally have used the Michelina's Budget Gormet -- those aren't too bad, in a pinch either (not sure if they're SBD friend or not...probably not.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm not going to comment except to say that I think Dr. Agatston sold out!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #14  
Fighting Off The Cravings

I haven't bought any, except the cookies once. They were "OK". I feel like he sold out too. I really do try to focus on using whole foods and TRY to buy organic when I can, but man, I'm NOT rich! LOL!!
Carey
Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #15  
Who needs sleep?

Rotten - I know what you mean about being busy; I'm a SAHM to a two year old and a full time college student. So time is a precious commodity in our house! Instead of relying on packaged foods, though, I try to keep a store of frozen homemade entrees in the deep freezer. Then I can just defrost it in the microwave, heat it up, cook some frozen vegs, toss some bagged salad into bowls, and voila! Just as fast as pre-packaged frozen stuff and much healthier. If even that isn't fast enough, sometimes we'll pick up a dinner salad or deli chicken at the store (we just peel the skin off).

The thing that kills me about the Kraft SBD foods is that they pretend that the non-OP stuff is OP. I called them on one of their SBD "approved" recipes which called for waaaaay too much CW Lite/FF (twice the daily limit per serving), and they responded saying: "I'd like to assure you that this recipe is correct as written. Before any recipe is released it is thoroughly tested by our food professionals in our Kraft Kitchens to insure accuracy and reliability."

She did say she would forward it on to their so-called kitchen experts, but some how I'm not comforted.
Closed Thread