South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #1  

Exclamation Help...mass confusion

Ok I just read the South beach book and I've been on the diet for 3 days now (today is day 3). I thought all I had to do was to buy the foods on the list but after visiting a MSN group (which they aren't very friendly if you have a lot of questions) I am throughly confused. I didn't realize you had to read the labels and make sure there where no forms of sugar, then one lady said that sometimes the label will list sugar but it's the foods natural sugar and then it's ok if it's under X amt of grams (well how do I know which foods are which?). Then I was told, no carb counting BUT when I asked if a certain food was ok...they said too many carbs.

So I'm just at a loss for what is allowed and what's not allowed. Seems like there's a ton of rules I didn't know about and I don't know where to find them at.

Can anyone help???
Old 01-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 142/135/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!!! I am also new here and new to the South Beach Diet. I read the book than came here and started the diet. I have discovered that if I read all the phase 1 foods listed here that it helps me alot and everyone here is so helpful. Until one of the more experienced ladies can help you just start reading the posts and you will start to get a good idea of the whole diet. Good Luck too you!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 142/135/120

Height: 5'3"

Oh and take a look at the emergency handbook guide for phase 1 Thread by Sticky
Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #4  

Wow Freaky!!! Thanks for jumping in to help Ames!
Ames, yes please, here are some Links to the Stickies that Freaky mentioned..
South Beach is all about Good SLOW carbs not LOW carbs...and there is no Carb counting.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58182

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31864

Deep Breath Ames!!! It's very easy to follow this Way of Eating... You do have to read labels for added sugars like Dextrose, any of those Oses.. And there are parameters for the amount of natural occurring sugars (like those found in Fruits) it's all about that Glycemic Index you read about in the book .

You will find we are a very supportive Fun group to learn with and get healthy with ... I hope you join us!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #5  

Welcome Ames! Stick with it. I've been on Ph 1 for one week (tomorrow) and I've enjoyed it. You will find everyone here helpful and friendly. Do not hesitate to ask questions -- that is how we learn. We are here to support and encourage each other. Check out recipes and try some. For me, I've found it easier to try new recipes (so I don't get bored eating the same kind of things), and that works for me!

Good luck!

Joanne
Old 01-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #6  

Welcome !
Hang in there -- follow the links above
Old 01-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #7  

Default I'm New Here Too!

Hi Ames,
I am new here too and enjoy reading all of the posts. There is lots of helpful tips and recipes in the South Beach Diet Forum. I am not new to South BEach however. Just hang in there...eventually it becomes second nature!! And keep reading around here, as there are answers to all of your questions. Good luck!!

Last edited by Stodds; 01-08-2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Forgot slider
Old 01-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #8  
Who needs sleep?

It's really not so much how many carbs, but where they come from that matters. If you stick to the updated food lists (and check the ingredients in canned or other processed foods for sneaky sugar, corn syrup, etc), you should be fine. It gets easier as you get used to what you should and shouldn't have, and at which stages.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #9  

Thank you for the help and support! You're much friendlier than the ohter board lol.

I fell off the wagon today out of frustration but I'm hitting it hard tomorrow. I did walk a mile so while I "boo-boo"ed in one area I did good in another!!!

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to like it here!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #10  

Also is there a good rule of thumb of how low on the GI we should stay under? Like only foods under X amount?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:46 AM   #11  
Who needs sleep?

As far as I know there is no such rule of thumb per se. For one thing, the GI of food is affected by other foods eaten with it. In general, you want to avoid highly refined foods and opt for their more natural counterparts (ie, whole grain breads instead of white bread or even heavily processed "whole wheat" bread - breads made with enriched flour). The closer something is to its natural state, the healthier it will be. That said, there are some foods that aren't wise choices no matter what: white potatoes, corn, and beets among them. Once in a while, especially when you've moved on to phase 3, isn't too bad, but they are definitely not something you want to be eating daily or even weekly. You might get yourself a copy of the GFGCG (Good Fats Good Carbs Guide) - that will be a big help to you in making food choices.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 193.8/188.6/160

Hi Amy,
I'm an old Southbeacher from the beginning and during the first phase (if you are doing P1) I would concentrate more on the food list and eating those foods than worrying about sugar content. I eat very little processed foods so I don't even bother to look at sugar and fat grams except when buying salad dressing if I don't choose to make it myself. By following the food list you will do just fine. Don't make it more complicated than it really is- it really IS very simple. :-)
And if on P1 be sure to drink lots of water and I would highly recommend eating at LEAST 1 to 2 servings of beans with meals each day. If you don't want to cook a bean dish just throw some on a salad. By drinking your water and keeping beans in your program during P1 you will avoid the withdrawal headaches that come with purging the existing sugar from your system.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Excellent advice, Seachick. Keep it simple and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #14  

Thanks guys! Now I'm not so paranoid, I didn't do well today but tomorrow is a new day right?
Closed Thread