South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #1  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Default Need a Definite Clarification

OK, since Terry is going to start SB on Monday, I need a clarification before we go to the store tomorrow. I know this has been touched on in the past, but I want to make sure nothing has changed since I was away for awhile.

If I'm making a dip for him to dip veggies in (since that's the only way he'll eat veggies,) do I use regular mayo or lf/ff mayo? I know I can use lf/ff sour cream, but in the past I feel like people have said that regular mayo might be better for you than lf/ff mayo. I have some awesome Tastefully Simple and Pampered Chef dips that I can make, I just want to make sure that we're both being as healthy as can be.

I think the confusion is this: Which is worse for you? The fat that's in regular mayo, or the fillers that may be in low fat or fat free mayo?

Hoo boy, my metabolism has finally kicked up about 6 notches. I'm over the "Lordie do I need a carb" hump and have found energy that I had forgotten about. WEEEE HOOOO!

Anywho, anybody with an answer will get tons of cyber hugs and kisses.

Thanks chicks!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #2  
gotta lose it!

Weezle: I found this on the phase 1 approved food list:
Mayonnaise - Regular - 1 TBS
Mayonnaise - Low Fat - 2 TBS (avoid varieties made with high fructose corn syrup)
Hope this helps....will Terry eat hummus? That's how I eat my veggies.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #3  
Who needs sleep?

Hummus is terrific - especially on raw cuke and bell pepper. We have a Lebanese market nearby that makes wonderful hummus! I used regular Best Foods (Hellman's to you easterners) mayo and ff sour cream (also limited to 2 tbsp/day) for my dip. Make sure your dip mix doesn't have sugar in it - I use Uncle Dan's. He'll get more if you use light, but I find that the 2-3 tbsp of dip I allow myself when I have ranch dip is more than enough for quite a lot of veggies, if I don't dip heavily (which I don't anyway).
Old 09-04-2005, 12:09 AM   #4  

The only mayo we seem to be able to get here is low fat stuff loaded with sugar, or full fat. So we have full fat, but less of it, I tend to add a sugar free salad dressing to the mayo to stretch it further - adds a nice flavour as well. In the past we have also added low fat natural yoghurt to it....
Old 09-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #5  
krazy binging insomiac

of course you could always make your mayo out of tofu which will make the mayo a LOT healthier....but that's a wee bit time consuming.

here's a basic recipe
1 pkg tofu (silken is better but any kind will work)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp splenda
1 1/2 tsp vinegar.

blend in blender. Hint: add a little bit of dijon for an extra bit of flavour.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #6  
Who needs sleep?

I wonder what Terry would say if you made him dip out of tofu mayo?! (My mother and her family are midwesterners, too - from Indiana; she absolutely, positively will NOT try tofu! I even got my father - a Californian - to try it, carnivore that he is, but not my mother!)

Last edited by H-ko; 09-04-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:54 AM   #7  
krazy binging insomiac

don't tell them... i guarantee you in a mayo they will not taste the difference.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I make garlic tofu mayo - it's great!
Old 09-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #9  

Would you like to post the garlic tofu mayo recipe??? or is there a thread already
Old 09-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #10  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Terry was reading over my shoulder and he says to tofu mayo. He doesn't like hummus, either. I've tried. Oh well. Guess I'll just use mayo. Thanks girls.
Closed Thread