South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy I'm depressed because I'm so accident prone

It seems to always happen. When I get into an exercise routine that I'm comfortable with and enjoy doing, I wind up hurting myself somehow.

Either from overuse/over training problems or from out of the blue stuff.

I was walking down into the basement a couple days ago when all of a sudden I found myself sliding-bouncing down the stairs and coming to a stop at the bottom. DK (dear kitty) came down to see what the noise was and why I wasn't filling his food bowl. I hobbled back upstairs, fed the cat-mustn't keep kitty waiting, took some aleve and a muscle relaxer and hoped for the best.

Today's the 3rd day and I'm in absolute pain. I've got a muscle spasm that is pushing up against my sciatica nerve. I'm taking prescription strength anti-inflamitories, a muscle relaxer and tylenol. Doctor said it was ok to add the tylenol because it's not an NSAID. When it's working together at just the right concentration I'm blessedly free of pain, but in the morning it takes awhile for it all to get into sequense and work at the same time. Ouch, pain I've had it happen before so I know the signs. It heels eventually with rest, gentle stretching, doing a little but not too much and knowing the difference.

So I have to give up running for a few weeks so I guess I should keep better tract of my eating because if I'm not careful I'll use this as an opportunity to eat to make myself feel better. Don't you just know that strawberry cheesecake and whipped cream is a cure for all problems? No? Maybe that's why I got so big in the first place-eating to fix everything?

I just need to know that other people slide down the stairs and I'm not the only clutz. I do it a couple times a year. Make me feel better people! Please.

Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 09-01-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #2  

Sorry about your fall Sarah and hope you feel better soon I hate being hurt and in pain!! You will be back out running soon!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh Sarahu, I can so relate. I have broken two different arms in dumb dog related falls and my knee problem is from two dogs smashing into the back of my leg!

Take the pain killers and anti-inflammatories and rest. You heal better when you are asleep so try for a few extra zzzzz's.

Here's a and some . Feel better soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh Sarah so sorry to hear this. I was just updating my exercise times for the August thread and I read yours and was so inspired - you did brilliantly well.

You must be so frustrated.

Hope you soon feel better!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

I am so sorry. I know how painful the back spasms are and how difficult it is to function with them. I had some that started back in late April and I was a heap of pain and discomfort until about the 2nd week in June. All that with a newborn kicked my butt. I didn't get better until I got a strong painkiller --oxycodone -- that allowed me to relax the muscles enough for a few days to really heal. I am so sorry that you are hurtin'!!

You are not alone in being a clutz -- I'm there with you doing the happy stumbling clutz dance

(((Big Hugs)))
Old 09-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #6  

Hi Sarah, What a discouraging turn of events for you. Bouncing especially will result in soft tissue damage so you may need to be very patient as these can take a while to heal completely.

The reason I know this is because I've done the same thing. I ended up putting rubberized/gritty strips on the stairs, expecially at the edges, to prevent my slipping off the edge so easily.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #7  
Slow and Steady...

Sarah,

Ouch! I am so sorry you are in such pain! From one clutz to another, take it easy, take your medication and ease up on yourself! You will get back to your exercise routine soon enough.

I manage to hurt myself on a regular basis! Although I have never broken any major bones (just toes and fingers), I have dislocated shoulders, sprained ankles/wrists and chipped knees. I haven't done anything to myself recently (knock on wood!), but May was a rough month for me. I took the kids rollerskating and proceeded to fall (not on my cushiony spots) forward. I sprained my wrist and chipped my knee. I still have fluid on my knee and it isn't pretty, but it feels better now.

I'm right there with ya! Take care of yourself and feel better soon!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #8  
Collie Mommie

Here's one you can laugh at:
I decided to surprise my husband by being naked on the couch when he came home from work one day. Well, I got undressed upstairs and started walking down the stairs when I lost my footing and slid down about 8 carpeted stairs with no pants (well, no clothes at all) on! My dogs looked at me all excited as if I was playing a game. I had a HUGE bruise on my butt for weeks, and I was so shaken by the fall that I just turned around and went back upstairs and put on some clothes. No surprise for hubby that night. He saw the bruise a day or two later and asked about it and I told him I fell, I just left out the naked part.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #9  

you are not alone. recently i have stepped hard down in a hole and sprained my ankle, bumped down the last 5 steps on my back, bagged my head, fingers, and toes way to many times to count. the good news: i have a recumbent stationary bike that allows me to still exercise through all my injuries. (even the ankle thing)

hope you are back up on your feet soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #10  

Thanks MT, it's nice to share the pain. I'm surprised you didn't have a bad case of rug burn also.

Thanks everyone for your words of incouragement. The drugs are working together now. Just have to get up in the middle of the night and take the medicine so it keeps working like they are supposed to.
Sarah
Old 09-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #11  

Maybe there should be a permanent klutz thread. I usually hurt myself a couple of times a year too, usually just when I'm getting into some fun new exercise.

I read your posts this morning, and didn't have time to post. I had to chuckle just now: I have a rebounder (which I never use - too hot and humid) that sits in the middle of my living room. Since I have guests coming, I decided to fold it up and put it away. Wearing sandals. It snapped closed on my foot, and now I have a nice puffy area where my big toe joins the rest of the foot. I'm expecting an interesting bruise, and probably won't be able to wear shoes without pain killers.

Some other fond memories: falling on my tailbone just when I was getting the hang of xcountry skiing (still hurts 8 months later, and it ended my spinning classes for the winter); tripping on an invisible sidewalk gremlin in Winnipeg (where no one helped me because they were sure I was some old lush, until I found a pharmacist to patch up my gory elbow); tripping on the same gremlin in the middle of an empty, newly-paved street early one Sunday morning (which wrecked my favorite running tights, but renewed my faith in humankind when two loitering rubbies rushed over to make sure I was okay); doing a face-plant on one of my first runs after a serious foot injury ended my short marathon career (my MD joked that he should report my husband for wife abuse - one of the few things he was never guilty of).... the list goes on.

So never fear. You are not alone.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

oooh, Sarah... You poor darling!
I can totally relate. Sometimes I even think, "What's the point in starting an exercise program? I'm either going to pull a muscle, or catch pneumonia."

I did the same thing after starting an exercise program earlier this year. I started falling down the basement steps, grabbed onto the railing, and hung there, dislocating my elbow and shoulder.
Another time (also after starting to get fit), I tripped over a pile of lumber, and I swear to God I SAW my elbow snapped backwards. I'm anticipating elbow replacements sometime during my retirement...

I'm glad the drugs are working... get better soon, hon!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #13  
Who needs sleep?

Sarah, I can totally relate. I'm forever finding bruises (sometimes really nasty, large, dark ones) that I have NO idea how I got them, because I'm ALWAYS bumping into things or falling over (I've fallen 3 different times on the sidewalks in the area, each time banging up my knees pretty badly - once I even ended up walking several blocks with blood leaking down my leg and soaking into my pants!). I've slid down our stairs (NOT intentionally), I've sliced and diced myself in the kitchen so many times that DH is permanently jumpy while I'm in the kitchen, and I can't even count the number of sprains I've gotten. I'm just permanently graceless!

So no - you aren't alone!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #14  

Oh wow!!! I feel like I am home!!! Woo hoo!! Lets see...I remember the time I did the splits on a wet floor at work a couple of years ago...my reward (since I hadn't done the splits in about 38 years) was scaitica that I now suffer from every day...
I am blind in my right eye now...so my klutziness is even more bizarre and continuous than it ever has been before..
I fall walking the dogs...I fall on small pebbles..I fall on sidewalks that are not quite even...I fall when the dogs wrap around my ankles...
I fall when I misjudge where a tree or a large bush is because it is so hard for me to try to watch above me and all around me with one eye..
lol my eye doc says it will get better as soon as I get used to my lack of depth perception...but for now I am having trouble convincing myself that is true...I also can not walk straight anymore between the blindness and my neuropothy...so I am constantly bumping into people...really embarrassing!!!!
I have bruises, scrapes and sore muscles ALL the time...lol I am just glad that I am not alone!! But I send (((Hugs))) to all that are hurting and hope you feel better soon!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #15  

Sidewalk Gremlins OMG! I forgot about those! Yes, I have a few too. ANd it's usually nothing that I trip over. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't feel so bad now. I always turn around and look at the sidewalk and make it seem like I actually tripped on something and not my own feet.

I did finally make an appointment for the doctor for this evening. For some reason the pain medication wasn't kicking in this morning and we are planning on driving to OH tomorrow. It's about a 6 hour drive and we are meeting some friends at my sisters lake house. Just imagining sitting for 6 hours was enough to make me cry. So I broke down and called the doctor, her receptionist said that they wouldn't give me any good drugs until after I had been examined. Shoot, it's like they don't trust us or something. I mean, I told her exactly what the problem was and that I wanted heavy duty drugs to make the pain go away while I was sitting. She laughed and said the heavy duty drugs required a doctors visit to make sure nothing serious had happened.

I won't be back on line until next week, maybe Wend.
Have a good weekend everyone.
Sarah
Closed Thread