South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #16  

Height: 5'-2"

That's fine, Tracy, and I agree to an extent. However Phase I is all about detoxing, and once you screw up, your body is back craving the sugars you're trying so hard to eliminate.
There are guidelines with this "diet", and they're there for a reason.

When people come here asking if they can cheat (I'm not talking against you, sweet Weezle ), I think that what some people are feeling is, "Go ahead and cheat if you want to, but don't come around here afterwards whingeing and asking why you're not losing weight."
Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #17  

I've run into this problem before. Most of the time I just drink water or diet soda. If I really feel as if I want a drink, then I'll get a glass of wine and pretend like I'm on Phase II for the day. Yes, it knocks you back on Phase I for a day or two, but it's better than having a beer or cocktail.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #18  

Ellis,

I totally understand and agree with your saying! 100%! But, I'd rather help someone by only taking one bite/drink verses them splurging and making a big mistake and being depressed about it later. (I hope I said that right!)

I guess I also feel this way in Weezle's situation because of what I am going through in my family right now. I can understand how she said her dad feels... he is almost the age that his dad was when he died and he wants to enjoy life before it happens to him.

Ok now... my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer 4 months ago. Thus the reason for my quitting smoking 3 months ago this coming Tuesday! (I have been told that is the reason for my weight gain the past few months.) My mom has been struggling through out this... not mentally but medically! And we all worry day in and day out about it. Now, if my mom asked me to go have an ice cream cone with her (it feels good on her raw throat) I would go with her and enjoy it... but I would ask the person who made the cone to not put as much ice cream on/in it. This way we both enjoy a nice treat together. But I would just remind myself at weigh in day about it and understand why the results were bad... if that happened.

I guess I am just looking at both sides... and also remembering all of the things I have read and seen on tv. So many diets, all basically contradicting (sp?) of the others and so on. Makes for confusion.

Anyway, I will stop typing now before I mess up this post. Hopefully I explained myself where it is understandable and made sence.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #19  
I vant to draw your blood

Can I butt in here? Okay, I'm gonna anyway

Have any of you read "French Women Don't Get Fat"? It's an excellent book. If you haven't read it, please do.

It addresses this very issue of deprivation, guilt, punishment and the whole viscious circle we put ourselves thru.

The author, Mareille Giuliano, says that when French women are facing an event where they know they will be overindulging, they don't get themselves into a froth over it. They simply decide on a strategy to handle the situation. For example:

Okay, I'm going to karaoke tonight. I've decided I'm going to have a glass of wine. So, to compensate for that glass of wine, for the next couple days, I'll make sure that I drink half again as much water as I usually do and I won't have my 75 extra calories.

It's not the end of the Earth, for Heaven's sake. BUT, I do agree that you don't come to the board and whinge about why you're not losing if you habitually indulge.

Okay, ' nuff said.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #20  

Tracy, I'm so sorry about your Mom. I lost my Dad to cancer last fall, and I know how heart-rending the ordeal is.

Yeah, Mamacita. If I hear you whingeing after that glass of wine, you're going to feel my Birkenstock on the base of your butt.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #21  

Mamacita,

That is kind of what I was trying to say. I wish I could have less interuptions here and be able to think and type things out correctly where they ended up meaning what I was trying to say. That sounds a like a very good book.

~~~~~~~~

Ellis,

Thanks for the group hug. That sure put a smile on my face today. I have not had to deal with something like this for years. Well, in my adult life anyway. When I was an older teen my grandpa died from lung cancer. But then I didn't think much of it with smoking. My mom kept smoking and (my whole family kept smoking) so did I. And now my mom has it! That opened my eyes. And now Peter Jennings dies from it, and Dana Reeves has it never smoked! Pretty darn scary! I guess this is on my mind more then I thought. Thanks so much for the hug though. It made my day.

~~~~~~

Now I need to go and learn how to eat lol. You see my problem is not over eating... it is getting myself to eat! WW always told me (a couple of years ago when I went to the meetings) my body was in starvation mode and it will take a long time to get my metabolism back into good shape. So I have to start trying to eat more then dinner and a snack after dinner while watching tv. I am trying really hard... but I always forget.... I am never hungry. So far so good for the past week or so though!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #22  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

How about a HOOHA for water! It was hard, but I managed to do it! Don't think I'm going to karaoke for awhile....very tempting. Dad's not on vacation after this, so I'll be good to go.

Thanks to everyone for your support!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #23  
cranky & determined

YAY!! WEEZIE!!

Good for you (in more ways than one!)

Last edited by operadog; 08-13-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #24  
Who needs sleep?

Yay! You did it!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #25  

Weezle, good for you, hon!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #26  
going places

YESSSS!! That's the way to getrdone!

Old 08-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #27  

Congrats on your awesome WILLPOWER!!!! Way to go. You are a strong woman. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #28  
going places

Shortiemetoo - Tomato juice is a GREAT idea! Gettin' yer veggies at the bar...who woulda thought?

I've found the same is true about waiting a while to get up and sing...in our karaoke group there are a LOT of really good singers and it had taken quite a dose of liquid courage in the past to get me up there.

Now I always go up to the bar to order my water w/lime...no one even questions that I'm not drinking alcohol. The cool thing is, NO HANGOVER!! Since I'm allowed wine now I will have a glass when we get there or shortly after...but it's still water for the rest of the night.

So, we're off to karaoke tonight...what should I sing?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #29  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Well, what's your style, Val? You a country girl? Or one of those modern singers of the Avril whatshername?

I pretty much am an 80's chick singer. Wind Beneath My Wings, Total Eclipse of the Heart, Faithfully (by Journey for those who aren't in love with Journey,) Paradise by the Dashboard Light, I've Had the Time of My Life, Somewhere Out There, etc.

Sometimes I mix some country in there, like Why Haven't I Heard From You, How Do I Live, I Hope You Dance, and some crossover Shania Twain and Faith Hill songs.

My husband likes me to sing Sarah McLachlan and Jewel. I love Sarah too much, so it almost hurts me to sing her stuff. I'm decent, but NOBODY is as good as Sarah.

What do you like to sing?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #30  
I vant to draw your blood

Weezle, congrats for hanging in there. You're truly an inspiration for those of us who habituall tell ourselves "I can't" Yes, sweetie, you CAN!!
Closed Thread