South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 PM   #1  

Default Yay Finally!

As some of you know I did great for week 1 and 2 and then I added some carbs back and did 1.5 and stalled and even ended up gaining 2 lbs. Well I am happy to report since going back to phase #1 this monday I have lost the 2 lbs I gained back plus 1 more lb. Thank goodness!! I am going to be really careful adding stuff back this time!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #2  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Yea for you Kimberly. Adding things back in is one of the hardest things I am doing. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #3  

Thanks girl! Do you think its ok just to do 2 weeks of maybe just adding 1 piece of fruit back and then after that adding whole grains back? I am terrified to add to much after last week of just adding 1 carb item back a day and gaining
Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #4  
Started SBD 1/26/04

I guess my answer would be that everyone is different. Several people on here have been able to add 2-3 new grains or fruit a day and continue to lose pounds.

I have tried several different things and so far the only one that doesn't seem to upset my system is strawberries for fruit. Apples are a big time no no for me but may not be for you. I am also able to add a little bit of Simply Fruit (brand name) jam to the breakfast cheese cake and not have it bother me either. I usually use it for dessert at night for a treat.

Bread is once again a no no. I think I am going to have a problem with adding grains back until I lose some more of my pounds. I have however added oatmeal back in to what I am eating. But I can only eat it on the weekends when I am not setting at a desk or it causes me to have horrible cravings all morning. I think it works on the weekend because we are really active all weekend taking care of our home and my aunts home. I will have to see if I can still eat it on the weekends when we quit having so much yard work to do. I haven't tried it for dinner yet but one of these days I am going to do breakfast for dinner (my family loves it).

I guess my best suggestion would be to add one new grain or fruit each week. That is what I have been doing. Watch your weight on whatever day of the week you weigh and see if you lost, maintianed or gained. I feel that if I have still lost then it is something that is a good add to what I am eating. If I have maintained then I won't leave it on my daily can eat but make it a 2-3 times a week I can eat. If I have cravings that week or have gained (unless TOM, I try not to add anything new that week) I mark it as something I can't have right now and will try it again at a later time.

I also try whatever new food I am adding at different times of the day. I can't eat the strawberries before lunch or I am starving by lunch. But they work as a great mid day snack with or without a cheese cake cupcake.

Hope this has given you ideas to try on your own. Good Luck!!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Karla thats interesting about oatmeal. I added it back in and no problems most mornings, but two mornings I had cravings. Today I went totally off the rails and am going to have to do a few days of P1 again starting tomorrow to get back on track as my cravings are so strong, worse than ever.

I cant pinpoint what the problem is with the oatmeal - how some mornings its fine and yet today, and Friday last week it went crazy.

Kimberly - congrats on the losses hon!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #6  

Thanks girls. I guess its just really trial and error huh?!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Congratulations, Kimberly!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #8  

I've found I can have apples, strawberries and grapes, but not in the morning, it has to be after lunch or in the evening.
Oatmeal made me want more grains...not so much sugar or bad carbs... but more carbs.
Sourdough bread I have had about 1 time a week and for some reason it doesn't give me cravings? Not sure why??
Good luck it certainly is hit and miss!!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:36 AM   #9  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Ok, I know this will sound weird but the few times on P2 and have eaten oatmeal it's been raw. I just put 1/3 C raw oats, 1/3 C soymilk, and 1/4 C ricotta with cinnamon and splenda. Mix it up and you can't tell it's raw. It hasn't caused cravings but I've never eaten it first thing in the morning. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that raw grains have a lower GI than cooked so that may be why it's not sparking cravings. Maybe try that? People eat no-bake cookies so this shouldn't be that different, should it?

I have to be soooo extremely careful about the starch carbs cause they are dangerous with me. Fruit, not so much. So far I've been eating a high fiber lowcarb whole wheat(all natural from the healthfood store) tortilla a day and 1-2 servings of fruit. I did have brown rice once and spelt pasta once in the last few weeks.

Oh, I also have been taking FiberChoice fiber supplements with most meals, esp with fruit...love them! I think they've kept the cravings away more than anything else really. Plus I've never been so "regular" my whole life .
Old 08-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Good stuff Kimberly.

I can't add anything back or I gain. Must go back to Phase 1 for two weeks (after Maine at the end of the month) and then commit to adding ONE thing back ONCE a day for a week at a time.

I've gained back 5 of my 11!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Bread seems to be my problem. It somehow triggers something in my mouth that wants more, I'm not hungry, I just want to eat it. I thought I had gotten around it with using the ww tortillas, but that's bad too for me. I tend to eat my carbs in the morning for breakfast. I've found that as long as my breakfast cereal has few g of sugar then protein it works for me.

For the people who have problems with oat meal-have you tried oat bran? It has more fiber and protein. It tends to stay with me a lot longer.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #12  

I understand. I dont even know if I want to get started with bread or pasta. I am afraid I wont stop. How ad do you think it is just to add fruit back for a while and no other carbs?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #13  
Started SBD 1/26/04

That is basically what I have been doing. I started by adding berries back each day and now I usually have fruit during the week and fruit and some kind of grain on the weekend when we are more active. I don't feel like I am missing anything and everything is normal still on my blood work so I guess I am doing what is right for me.

I don't see why it wouldn't be OK for you to add just fruit for the first week, but we probably should have one of the long timers address this for you. There may be a reason why we need to add fruit and grains.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #14  

For the first week you should just add one fruit or one grain. It is best if you eat the same fruit or grain for a week to see how you react to it - does it cause cravings? I think you should eventually add some grains in for nutrition but I know that everyone is different as to the amount of each that they are able to eat and continue to lose weight. I eat 3-4 servings of fruit and 2-3 grains on most days and can continue to lose if I am active. I do have to watch my serving size on the grains especially.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #15  

Thanks for all the info. If you decide to do a grain is 1 piece of bread 1 serving? My old nutritionist had me counting carbs and I was allowed 10 carb servings a day and I lost a few lbs but not much
Closed Thread