South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default ouch, ouch my feet are killing me!

I have plantar fasciitis and a heel spur. I spent the weekend standing over 9 hours each day, walking around and being very busy. Never again, my feet progressively got worse and this morning they are throbbing. I know what to do, rest, elevation, anti-imflamitories, stretching. I use the expensive orthotics all the time. It's basically an over use flareup.

But, this (an injury) is when I usually fall of the wagon so to speak when I lose weight. So I need to remember that I can still exercise everyday just not walking/running for a few weeks. And maybe be really careful what I'm eating since I'm not as active.

So, let's think about this. I can still swim-well, I swim like a rock but that's beside the point. the recombunant bike? sitting weight lifting? I have the "ultimate gym" -the knock off version of the total gym. But, I don't seem to get an aerobic workout when I do that.

Any ideas to keep me active while I'm off my feet this next week or more?

I am not going to let this be a major stubling block on my way to fitness it's just going to be a minor inconvience. I have to keep telling myself that, maybe I'll believe it

Sarah
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #2  
Silicon Andy

The only thing that ever helped my plantar fasciitis (and I don't have a heel spur) is sleeping with shoes on to keep my foot flexed.

I know this may sound weird, but my grandpa was telling me about his exercise class. They do all of the exercise from a chair. He said they twist and wave their arms and move their legs, but stay seated the whole time. There used to be a woman on pbs early in the am doing a similar type of exercise.

You might try the bike, but go very slowly and only do maybe 15 minutes the first time. I'm not sure if it will aggrivate your foot or not.

I hope this helps in some way!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #3  
i luv my dog!

I remember a type of exercise from when I was a kid. It was basically an "air-bike" that you performed the moves for while lying in your back. Lay down, elevate your hips and hold them in place with your forearms, elbows on the ground, and with your legs bent and raised in the air, yoiu just pedal away. I don't how long you would be able to keep this up, but its something quick and easy to incorporate.

The chair exercises sound good, and you could do an online search for other exercises for people with physical impairments.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I had it diagnosed a couple years ago. It was so bad that it took over a year of treatment to get where I could finally walk without pain.

I've had occasional times when it's been aggrevated. I really didn't think I had done that much this weekend-no running. I really think it was all the standing on concrete in maybe not the best shoes. I should have worn shoes with more padding. I sit most of the time at work so I forget about the strain of standing.

What I really hate about having this problem is that when you stand and walking it doesn't really hurt. It's when you sit down and take the load off that they start to scream.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #5  

I have the same problem with my left foot. If I go without my orthotics then I start to feel it. I have orthotics for my work shoes as well as my tennis shoes and then wear Birkenstocks any other time. My problems have really lessened though as I lost weight.

You could try walking in the pool if it doesn't hurt to walk.
Closed Thread