South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #1  

Default I Feel Like a Failure

Okay, I have tried again to do SB and I have failed, again. I started on Tuesday, had the right foods, snacks, etc. did good all day at work and at dinner. It all came to a screeching halt when I went to Dairy Queen for my husband. I broke down and got a blizzard. Then it was all down hill from there. What do I need to do to get past just the first day? Now I feel like I have wasted the last 2 days when I could have been successful at this

ETA:
I guess I need to hop in here and defend my husband. I went to DQ all on my own, without him even knowing- I think I just used HIM wanting one as a reason for ME getting one I think I am just going to start fresh all over again tomorrow. Too much to do to think about it today.

Jacquerlyn

Last edited by PATZGIRL; 06-24-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #2  

Any chance you can get your husband to join you on South Beach? My husband is sort of on South Beach and if he wants to eat out for something that is not allowed, then he has to go get it himself and eat it when I am not around. He does eat off plan snacks at home in front of me but they are only ones that I don't care for and am not tempted by.

It takes time to break old habits and to build up a resistance to foods that you would have eaten before. Until you are able to resist, the best thing to do might be to stay away from places like Dairy Queen.

I make sure I always have meals planned that I really LIKE. I'm less tempted then.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Jacquerlyn, I'm so sorry, hon. You are NOT a failure. This happens to many of us, myself included (bigtime!).

I agree with Barb... planning is EVERYTHING! Make sure you've planned your meals AND your snacks. Take healthy snacks with you if you think you're going to be out somewhere where you might "lose it".
You can do this, girl...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

It's not failure, it's just a setback, ok?

I would talk to your husband and ask that he support you in your endeavor. It's not like you'll NEVER be able to eat DQ again -- just not for the first 2 weeks at least. My HB eats her own meals for breakfast and lunch and eats dinner the SB way. Like Barb's hubby, my HB eats snacks in front of me that aren't SB friendly, but they are ones I don't like. Now if she were to grab a bag of BBQ chips, that would be another story

Are you really ready to lose weight? It's sounds like a dumb question but answer it honestly. Are you ready to work hard at it?

When I decided to quit smoking, I had to really be ready to. The same with my eating habits. I can't throw myself mind, body and soul into something that I am not ready to work for. The weight won't disappear by magic wish or overnight.

You can do this. Just start from scratch!
Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #5  
Gryffindor Pride

Okay, listen up Patzgirl! You are not a failure. This is a big change to make and expect your body not to tell you "Hey, what are you, crazy?!" Trust me, I started SB earlier this month and fell off the wagon 6 entire days after I started. I felt awful but with support from here and at home I got back on. You just need try again and tell yourself you can do it. It took me a while to get up enough will power (and courage, I admit) to stick to SB because I love junky foods, but once I did I knew I was doing better for myself. You can't call yourself a failure for having a tough breaking food habbits that most of us have shared with you all our lives. We're here for you no matter what and when you're ready to try again we'll be here supporting you! You'll succeed, don't worry.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #6  

Patzgirl, YEAH What all these Beachers just said! It's a set back is all, the Good thing is that you want to come back, and get support and advice here.. We'll all help you Patz, do this for you.With each comeback you'll gain more insight and resolve!
We're rooting for you!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #7  
GARDENING ADDICT

And next time tell him to go get his own DQ .
Old 06-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #8  
Started SBD 1/26/04

I agree it's not a failure. I feel off the OP beach this week also but like everyone kept telling me just pick yourself up and jump back on the beach.

It really helped me to have my hubby sort of doing SBD with me also. He only eats things that we aren't suppose to have either out of my sight or if it is something I don't like sometimes in front of me.

For an ice cream fix (my hubby is an ice cream junkie) we use the sugar free ice creams. And the one that has really been helping me not crave is the peanut butter cup receipe from the P1 receipe section.

You can do this!! Just jump back on the beach with us and we will help you all we can!!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #9  

Failure means you've finished the class. Maybe you can see this as an ongoing education instead - about yourself, your cravings, your limits, mistakes (yes, we all make them), and what helps you. Now you know that going to DQ isn't going to work for you, so you'll know to figure out the solution before you are in that position again.

You can do it! It's all a learning experience. It ain't over til the fit lady sings lol!!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #10  

Thanks you guys for all of your encouragement! This is the best place! I am going to start again tomorrow. I am such a self sabotager (sp) and that scares me. I have tried everything from The Zone to the 3 Hour Diet and I feel like I just can't do it sometimes. Maybe one day it will click.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:33 AM   #11  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hang in there, Patzgirl! You can do it!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Patzgirl, I'm sure your DH didn't mean it this way, but sending you to DQ when you just started a new way of eating was like sending an alcoholic to pick up beer for you...at a bar. That was just not kind!

So, two things:
  • During Phase 1, STAY HOME!!! Don't go out to eat, don't go to places where you'll be tempted, avoid parties, and make sure that anything you crave is out of the house!!! If DH is dying for something, tell him to go get it himself and eat it out of your presence...and NOT tell you! My DH just told me last week that for the first couple months of SBD, he was sneaking to our local coffeeshop/bakery for a huge breakfast and pastry each Saturday while I was sleeping. I had NO idea!
  • Ask DH to stay on plan with you for Phase 1 when he's with you. Like Jenn and Barb mentioned, this helps immensely. When you are in Phase 2, you can certainly make meals that he can supplement with his own food...like spaghetti...you have it on squash or WW pasta, he uses white pasta. You know? But during Phase 1, when you know you are more likely to want to cheat because the cravings are still with you, it helps a lot to not have those foods near you.

Hon, you are NOT a failure. One of the mods (Mel?) has a great quote in her sig that says something like, failure is not falling, it's not getting up after you fall. We just have to keep getting up, and you are...so you definitely are not a failure!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #13  
Eat well, Live well

Don't let one blizzard make you feel like a failure! No food should ever do that, or you might end up in a love-hate relationship with your food that is emotionally hard to deal with. I occasionally (very occasionally) have my favorite high-calorie items, then I stay on track for the rest of my week. Note: think "stay on track" instead of "get back on track". This way, you won't want to beat yourself up for having a normal desire to eat something fun. Also, look at the big picture, did you lose weight this week? If you did, even if it's only a 1/2 pound or so, you did not fail, but you succeeded instead.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #14  
Zanesgrammy

Unless he is physically unable to drive, don't go to DQ. Why put that temptation in front of you? And so you messed up - wont' be the first time and it won't be the last - tommorrow is a new beginning. As my father use to say - get over it and get on with it!
Closed Thread