South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default Cheese allergy= help!

Hi everyone,

I just started south beach one week ago- so far have lost 2lbs in phase 1, but i have a small problem- oddly enough i have an allergy to all cheeses, which makes it pretty difficult to choose snacks, recipes... i'm getting pretty bored of eggs and peanut butter on celery, and of course salads

does anyone else have this same problem?

any suggestions!?!

thanks so much! k
Old 06-21-2005, 07:48 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

bump
Old 06-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #3  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Hi KLG! First of all welcome to the beach. I don't have a cheese allergy but my husband does. I met him 5 years ago and I was a cheese junky. Very big change for me to learn how to cook without cheese.

My hubby is trying to do this with me and his snacks run from turkey slices (Oscar Mayer has a good brand out) to Cucumbers to bean salad to sf jello and pudding to left overs from dinner the night before. I don't know if you are like my husband or not but he can have dairy just not cheese so another snack he does is a chocolate smoothie. Basically I just take the chocolate smoothie receipe from here and leave the cottage cheese out of it.

What I have learned to do it take a look at the receipe and think "Does it really need the cheese to make the dish work?" If I can't figure out how to take the cheese out of it then I just forget it. I am going to make the taco bake from the receipe section this weekend and looking at the reciepe I decided it would be just fine if I leave the cheese out of it.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I don't remember the brands off hand, but the Nature's Market section of our Wegman's grocery store carries several kinds of cheese made from soy. I have no idea if they are tasty or if they melt like cheese does, but I'd check them out.

Also, do you know what your allergy is caused by? If I were you, I'd talk with a doctor to get more information. There are thousands of cheeses out there and they are made by tons of different methods with several different milk sources. I'd be shocked if you couldn't eat any of them at all.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #5  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Just a little update about my hubby's cheese allergy. It isn't the product the cheese is made out of that he is allergic to it is the molding/aging process that he has the allergy to. So for him it is pretty much anything that is aged with a modling process.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #6  

Hi, thanks for your tips, Karla i'm amazed to hear that your husband has the same allergy (i've yet to come in contact with anyone else in the same boat).... think i'll be trying the oscar meyer turkey slices this evening k
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

If it's the aging/molding process, you should be able to have fresh, soft cheeses like Ricotta, Cream cheese, farmer's cheese, etc. There's an awesome article in Cooking Light on how to make your own ricotta cheese....
Closed Thread