South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default A Pet Thread

So we don't bore the non-pet folks and because we want it and because I go on and on about my Girls, here is the pet thread. Post your furry, finny or feathery kid's bio in here.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My "Girls" are Hershey (8) and her daughter Lucy (3.5) who are Portuguese Water Dogs. They are the dog loves of my life and excellent companions, particularly since Harry ahd his stroke and doesn't talk much. Hershey has had 33 pups (I'm a Grand*****) and is now retired from puppy breeding and from being a Therapy Dog. Lucy is a real brat who had her first litter of 6 excellent pups in the fall and will probably have another next fall.

Next pet nut, please!
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #3  
Working for the Cruise!

Hello all!

My spoiled brat is Shelby, a mix of German Shepherd, Cocker Spaniel, and Irish Setter. She's a melting pot of a pup adopted from the Elmira Animal Shelter in March. She is currently 8 months old and has gained a good 15 pounds since we brought her home a month ago! She is fit and healthy and loves to run, jump, bark, play, and growl like Chewbacca.

Her most recent dog dummy funny: The other day we're driving home in the Blazer with the windows down, nice day, good tunes on the radio, everything was just fine. Just fine that is, until we near our small town and pull up behind an Amish cart, Shelby's first. So as we are slowing down by the main square in town (TINY TOWN), she jumps out of the window and runs after the stupid horse pulling the cart. So I throw the blazer into park and hit a dead run chasing her all the way down to the clinic, about 3 blocks. HOW RIDICULOUS! I got her just fine and the horse drove away with or without Shelby's permission. I'll remember the windows next time we see an Amishmen!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #4  
Workin' it!!

Here are a couple pictures of my Princess. We got her from a local rescue agency back on 2/28. They estimate her birthdate to be sometime in mid-December of last year. So far she appears to be a mix of chow and sheltie. The first picture was taken the night that we got her. The second picture was taken a month later. She is growing like a little weed!! She's now at 20lbs (will take a newer picture soon) and they estimate that she will get to be near 40lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me and Princess sitting cropped.jpg (48.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Me and Princess Mar 28 2005 resized.jpg (20.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #5  
i luv my dog!

Oh Ruth, what a cute idea!!

Our local Burger King has a bulletin board with "best customer" photos of dogs accompanying their owners at the drive-thru. I was looking at it the other day and one of the dogs names is Hershey. I thought of your little one.

My cannine companion's name is Pancho. (Thats him in my avatar). He is an 8 year old Heinz 57 mutt, with predominant German Short-Haired Pointer genes. He was adopted from the German tierheim (no-kill animial shelter) when he was 1 year old. He's smart and funny, with a very friendly and playful disposition. He's about knee high and can sniff out a Milk-Bone anywhere you hide it.

When I first got him I taught him a few things such as sit and come, which he does well, and stay (sometimes), to shake hands, and to play frisbee, which he loves. Whenever someone has food he automatically says "please" (he sits and raises his paw). He's got his own toy box, and at any one time will have 3 or 4 ready to go.

My dog is a traveler, too. In Europe, dogs are welcome more places than in North America. Pancho was born and reared in Germany, lived in the USA and Belgium, and has also been to France, Czech Republic, Sweden, and the Netherlands.

He has another funny quirk also: he loves to lick your all-day feet!!! The stinkier the better! Some people think its strange/weird/gross, but its the next best thing to a massage!!!

Last edited by a broad abroad; 04-27-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #6  
Working for the Cruise!

Sassy,

How adorable! And a fitting name too! My name means Princess as well, we all wear our crowns proudly! I'm so happy you adopted! Doesn't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Our adopted pup was 25 when we got her and is now 40lbs! I have a feeling a got a big one on my hands!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #7  

I'm so glad to hear that its not just me!

My dog's name is Louise. She is a 6, almost 7 month old Shih Tzu. She is a black and white, 7 pound ball of energy. My husband and I don't know how we filled the time before we got her because she is literally how we fill ours days now.

I know her name is a little weird, we call her Weazy. But Louise is my great grandma's name and my mom has a dog named after my great uncle, harry. So I figured we ought to keep it in the family! It was Louise or Rita.

We live in a one bedroom apartment, and she is so adjusted to the small space. She has taken after the cats that live next store and hops up to the back of my chair and looks out the window. All the neighbors think it is hilarious.

She also is very spoiled. She has a zillion toys. her favorite are my old stuffed animals, an elephant and a lion that are almost 2x her size. She just carries them around like she owns the world. I laugh everytime.

She is at the groomer right now. I miss her. Talking about her makes me wish she was ready.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #8  

We have two female cats now. Diesel is a marmelade Tabby who was found wrapped around a diesel engine when she was a tiny handful. We got her as a pet rescue when she was about 6 months old. Allie is our calico cat. She came to us from a friend's boss who found out her son was allergic to cats. She used to be a stray and loves to go outside so she is an indoor-outdoor cat while Diesel stays in.

Allie loves Brian. She comes and lays on his bed between us while I read him his bedtime book at night.

Brian also has his freshwater fish tank. He is great about feeding them and has names for each fish.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #9  
i luv my dog!

Beachgal Laurie,

In yesterday's thead you mentioned nylabones, kongs, and greenies. I'm a fan/buyer of nylabones and kongs, but am not familiar with greenies. What are they?
thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Our kids have two female guinea pigs. Charlotte and Ted. They're the sweetest little things. So cuddly, and no bother.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #11  
YES!! You Can!!

S/C/G: 274/150.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Greenies are a great treat but can be a bit pricey!! They are chewie treats that are good for their teeth. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of place online to get them.

My babies pics are now in my sig. All are rescues and when I come back later, I'll give a little bio on each of them.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Abroad, our dog loves her greenies almost as much as she loves her daddy...and that's saying something! I get them in bulk very cheaply at www.petfooddirect.com, but I don't know if they ship to Germany. If not, I'll trade you...I'll ship you greenies if you ship me a wedge of walnusskase...I can't find it online anywhere and DH and I inhaled the wedge we bought to bring back with us to the states!

If you have a big dog, I think they can be very pricey, but since we have a smaller dog, we can get the petite ones and give her one every day. They are great treats that help freshen breath (truly!), clean teeth, and have healthy ingredients. Yum! I think you can find out more here: http://www.greenies.com/

Oh my, yay for the pet thread! I love reading about your furry loved ones. I have a HUGE hug in my heart for all of you who have rescued and adopted your furkids. There are so many out there that are homeless, abandoned, killed, and mistreated. I just think we need to open our hearts to those guys first, you know? We have three pets, and since kids haven't come into the picture yet, they are truly our babies!

We started out with Bella, our Chinchilla colored Mini Rex rabbit. She's 3.5 lbs of pure attitude. She thinks she is in charge of everything and that it's her "bunnifest destiny" to take over our house. She is the softest being I have ever, ever felt and the love of my life. We were pretty naive when we got her and bought her as a "pet quality" bunny from a breeder. She just became a mid-life bun at 5 years old.

We got Denali as a companion to Bella, who seemed lonely. He was a rescue bun...a dog got loose in the backyard of the people who had him and his parents and siblings in a huge outdoor hutch. Bunnies do NOT belong outdoors. Anyways, the dog killed several of the bunnies and scared the heck out of the rest before they were rescued. To this day, Denali is pretty scared of dog smells. He's a skittish boy but very sweet. He's about 4.5 or 5 lbs and is about 4 years old. He is a mix between a Rex and a Himalayan, so he is mostly white with dark grey ears and a light smudge of grey above his nose. He has red eyes which were hard to get used to at first, but now I love them. He and Bella hated each other at first, but over the past three years, they have gotten along better and better. When I stay home, I think I can start bonding them for real and then they can be out of their enclosures at the same time.

Both buns have free run of the house, use litter boxes, and eat tons of fresh hay. They are sweetlings!

We added to our furfamily two Christmases ago when we adopted Lady, our pup. She was rescued from a shelter in Ohio that was going to euthanize her. She was fostered in Rochester and we found her on www.petfinder.org (an amazing site...but don't go there unless you have the ability to take in another pet...you'll find it so hard not to adopt about 20!!!). She is a corgi mix (with what, we have no clue!) and is about 18 lbs. She is about 2 years old. After lots of moving around and name changes, she was a pretty timid pup, but is now very comfortable with us. She's still scared around other dogs, but she is sweet to our rabbits (or ignores them) and an active, frisky, fun pup with us. She loves walks, greenies, jumping on the top of the couch and licking anything and everything in reach, especially eyeballs, ears, the top of your head and your feet (she agrees with Pancho...feet are tasty, the smellier the better!).

We love our little peaceful kingdom. I can't imagine my life without our pets!

I'm with you Jamie, our dog really fills our days...she is the best prep for becoming parents that I can imagine! My family had a Shih-tzu for years when I was a kid. She loved to jump too, and could get up on my parents tall King-size bed. She would get a running start down the hall and land on the bed. When my parents were away one weekend (we lived in CA), my grandparents slept on their bed while babysitting us. Our dog jumped on the bed, and both my grandparents thought it was an earthquake!

Sarah, I loved your story! Poor Shelby thought that was a fun game! You have your lives full with that girl, huh?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #13  
Mary Ellen :D

Talking

I know I wrote about my guinea pig "babies" in another post but here are some more pictures. I love them soooo much I just have to show them off.
The first is Flo (a boy named for my Nana), the second is of Flo, Macaroni and Cheese and the third is of my "Bobo" aka "Mr. BoJangles" who is gone now but I miss him terribly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flo.jpg (1.2 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg lettuce.jpg (44.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg up close bobo.jpg (2.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 04-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #14  

Ruth, what a great thread!

The family is as follows:

Chuck - Amazon parrot with sometimes embarassing vocabulary. Is now 36 years old. Answers phone "hello, how are you?" whenever it rings. Enjoys chicken and potatoes as well as high-end large parrot food.

Max - Severe macaw. Full name "Maxwell Isaac Greenbird". Age 4 and is beginning to say "hello" in a deep human sounding voice that can scare the heck out of the unsuspecting. Likes to get mushy food all over his beak while eating.

Sidney - Cockatoo. Very needy and going through puberty. Also 4 years old. Has a feather plucking problem and is well known to the vet for both physical mishaps due to inability to fly right and psychological issues. Likes to eat lampshades and buttons off of the remote control. Has had one session with Steven Spielberg's "bird whisperer" in the hope that we can remedy some of the issues. Can you tell that animals in our house are family?

Madeline - Miniature poodle. High energy squirrel chaser and pursuer of much larger dogs. Smart, but common sense is questionable.

Godiva - Siamese cat. You got a problem with that? Huh? Huh? Just remember who owns this place. (sorry, she took over the keyboard).

Herbie - Fish. Parrot fish to be exact (go figure). Swims. Eats. Swims.

This now concludes your tour of my personal zoo.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #15  

Hi,
My personal zoo of pets are

Blake - English foxhound 1.5 y.o. - this breed was explicitly made to be able to run 2 hours without getting tired. Well, we did not know Blake is a foxhound, as we rescued his as Beaggle - except a VERY BIG one. Well, he is a sweety, but it took us awhile to overcome his separation anxiety - we are his 4th owners. Everybody told me to give up but I did not and I am glad - he is fine now when left alone (except we lost 2 doors, window, couch and blinds in the house). He finished basic outdoor obedience class and we are now into agility - and I love it (I personally count it as my Friday cardio as I can NEVER keep up with him). His picture in my avatar.

Ramzees - Siamese - definitely rules the house. Growls at Blake... Shows who is the A-cat. I still have problems to teach him that if I showeled him off the counter I mean he should not be there. Never gives up. Will jump back until I go away and leave him alone.

Chandler - long haired blue point Himalayan cat. Double the size of Ramzees. Weights 22 pounds. Blake loves Chandler and often ... humps him.... And Chandler does not mind... Go figure. Very smart cat but VERy heavy (again, go figure - both cats have the same weight loss food - one is slim and one is big).

Apart from that zoo I have 3 kids, and they are adorable

Sandy.
Closed Thread