South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default why did i gain

i started phase 2 on Sunday. 3 days later i gained back 2 pounds. how did that happened. i am terrified that i will end up back where i started. is this common? i have been very strict in my diet so far.

today a sweet chinese woman i work with made something just for me. she said it is a dish made for chinese dragon day. it tasted kind of like a tamale, but was made with rice and stuffed with something made from soy and vegatables. there was a sauce i used very little of, she promised it had no sugar. it tasted wonderful.

i was afraid to eat it (but i did obviously) because i wasn't sure what it was all about. she doesn't eat "american chinese" food. she weighs about 90 pounds, so it can't be too bad. does anybody have any input into this.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Proud, if you'll post a typical day of eating, we'll see if there's anything you're doing wrong.
Don't fret over this, hon. It's going to be alright.

As for the Chinese dish... it sounds yummy! I live in China Town/Little Italy, and the food is fantastic! I'm not sure what you had, though. Was it a rice paper wrap thingy?
We get something called a shrimp roll. I know it's not the same as yours, however... it's got a rice paper wrap, and contains shrimp, clear noodles, mint, and carrot. They come with a wicked peanut sauce.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #3  

It is not unusual to stall or gain when first starting phase 2. Give us a listing of a typical days menu and we'll be glad to see if we spot anything. What have you added back in?

On the Chinese food, if the sauce had not sugar or bad oils then it was probably fine. The thing to watch out for is the rice. If it was white rice, then it isn't allowed unless it was Uncle Ben's converted which is what I use at home. If it was brown then you are fine.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

The white rice can really throw you for a loop, hon. I know how hard it is to make people feel badly when they offer you food, but you need to for your health. Just let them know that you can't have rice...you are allergic, you are diabetic, you get sick, whatever you need to tell them. But you have to stay away...things like white bread and rice can affect you just as much as sugar can.

Post a daily menu and we'll see what's happening. Do you drink your water? Did you add only one thing a day (starch or fruit)? If you added several, that may be too many for your body to handle. Start over with one thing and see how you do. Add one thing a week until your loss stalls or you gain. Then go back to the previous week's number of starches/fruits and that's where you should be.

Also, now that you're in P2, plan on adding exercise. Read Meg's post on this (in the FAQ stickies) to find out why...but trust me, it helps immensely!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #5  

Hi Proudmom, Beachgal, Ellis and Barb gave good insights! These gals are SBD Saavy...Post what you eat -- they may be able to id the problem...I weigh myself the same time each morning - and over the last week, (my first week on P2) I saw my weight seesaw --up 3, down 1, up 2 - stay the same, then drop.... It's kinda like doing the chacha on the scale. (or the Porkometer as I like to call it ).
How about Sodium intake-- I saw that was a problem for me..

Don't get discouraged !!!- that weight will come off...

((((HUGS))))
Old 06-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

The Dragon Boat Festival? The rice thing-was it wrapped in a banana or bamboo leaf ? Did it have a date in the center? or was it a meat type thing? Those are called zongzi dumplings.

Different areas have different traditional recipes for this, sort of like different areas in the US have their specialty turkey stuffing recipes.

It's generally gutinous rice and dates, walnuts, or red bean paste wrapped up in the leaves then steamed until the rice is done. The meat one has shredded meat/protein of some sort, sauce of some sort and maybe some chopped vegetables along with the rice.

Glutinous rice is also called sweet rice or sticky rice. It might also be a lot of salt in it that helps you retain the water. It also could have had a lot of fat depending on the filling.

When I'm in a situation where it would offend some one who has brought something traditional from their county I try to say I've already eaten or take a serving and say I'll eat it later but don't, or split it with a co-worker if it's something I do want to try.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll level out soon.
Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 06-15-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #7  

Default thanks all

thanks for all the input guys. in the end the chinese thing (wrapped in bamboo leaves) must have been okay because my weight showed a drop this morning. i'm feeling a lot better about it today. the rice was white, but definately not the traditional american white rice.

i think i added too much fruit to start phase 2. i was so excited to add fruit and bread, i didn't realize i should do it slowly. if that's it i'm really gonna be in trouble when the peaches from Fredricksberg, Texas arrive. They are the best ever.

one more question for you gals...er...anybody get constipated when starting phase 2? could that be unrelated to the diet.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #8  

I was more constipated in phase 1 than 2 but even now I use SF Metamucil once a day.
Closed Thread