3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   What's the skinny on veggie burgers? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/59467-whats-skinny-veggie-burgers.html)

Pickle Chick 06-11-2005 10:13 PM

What's the skinny on veggie burgers?

Was at the grocery today and looked at the Boca and Morningstar veggie burgers. I can't remember which one, but one had a list of ingredients longer than my resume. Before I spend a lot of time and effort on research, I thought I would check here because I am sure that someone here knows.

1. What is the low-down on them nutritionally?

2. How do they taste? Which brand is better?

Ruthxxx 06-12-2005 05:52 AM

They are allowed. Nutrition should be on the package label and would depend on the size of the burger. Sorry I can't help you with brands. Here in Canada we have Yves and PC. I am not fond of them at all but the mushroom and black bean one was tasty. I'm sure the other chicks will have more info.

206bones 06-12-2005 08:49 AM

Boca

I personally like Boca but I know other people from Weight Watchers who like Morningstar better.

I usually have it with lettuce & tomato and a red bell pepper spread that I love.

ellis 06-12-2005 08:55 AM

I'm not sure, either. Most of the ones I've looked at are pretty high in carbs. They're full of wheat fillers, etc. :shrug:
Anyone else with any information?

I have made my own... hmmm... haven't made them for awhile. I remember that they were really yummy, but can't recall the ingredients. I should look for the recipe...

Solus 06-12-2005 10:17 AM

I prefer the original Garden Burger. I like to pan fry it. I spray a little FF cooking oil in the pan, and as it's warming, I add in a few spices. (paprika, garlic salt, pepper) I brown it on both sides and it comes out firm and delicious.

Sadiepies 06-12-2005 02:33 PM

How about Turkey Burgers in comparison? Are they alright? Lol, I really need to get my book back from my professor! :lol:

ilovemyluckycat 06-12-2005 08:19 PM

Hi!

Garden Burger has long been my favorite. I like being able to be semi-vegitarian and not eat so much meat! I do like the Boca burgewrs too. They are not burgers and do not taste like red meat. Don't expect them to. they are their own food and taste good to me.

I LOVE turkey burger!!!!!!!!! In fact I never buy hamburger. I don't think I have cooked hamburger in over 10 years. Once again: the turkey is not the hamburger! Like it on it's own merit!

Sandi

2BFIT1 06-13-2005 08:56 PM

The Morningstar Thai Burgers are pretty good:
calories-100
fat-3.5gms
carbs-7gms
fiber-3gms
sugar-1gm
protein-10gms
Main ingredients:vegetable protein (textured soy and wheat glutens), bok choy, bean sprouts, water,green onions, egg whites, sunflower oil, celery, potato starch.......

disneymom3 06-13-2005 09:48 PM

So, the big question is, if they are a veggie burger, do they count as a vegetable serving or as a protein?

I like the Boca Burgers by the way, but haven't looked at the Nutritional info since being on SBD.

beachgal 06-14-2005 09:36 AM

Disney, it depends on the ingredients. Lots of veggies, it can be both a veggies and a protein.

Sadie, Turkey burgers can be good, too, but they don't have the veggie component. Also, they do have the risk of handling raw poultry--that's not a huge risk, and it's one that many of us deal with often, but when you're in a hurry, it's nice to be able to pull out a frozen veggie burger and not have to worry about cleaning surfaces and cutlery and your hands, you know? :)

I love Morningstar's Tomato Basil Pizza Burgers. I only eat them in Phase 2, but I have one for breakfast once a week with a slice of 2% cheese and a pepper with hummus. Great breakfast, and very tasty. These things smell SO good that everyone in my building comes in the office when I make one and wants to know who's having pizza. ;)

I like Gardenburger's Wild Rice and Portobella burgers. They are tasty.

Just watch ingredients and make sure that they are good for the phase you are on. Okay? :D

jenne1017 06-14-2005 09:56 AM

Last night I noticed that Boca has a SOUTH BEACH APPROVED PHASE 1,2,3 label on it!

I like Boca Burgers in the onion flavor. I make them on the George Foreman grill with a bit of PAM sprayed on. Pan cooking is not good for these buggers.

I also like Morningstar farms as they have 2 other flavors I like -- Tomato Basil Pizza burger and a Black Bean burger. Although I recently discovered that the Black bean one has corn in it :(

I usually add cheese and salsa to the Black Bean one and a bit of Tomato sauce and Mozzarella with turkey pepperoni to the pizza one. :)