South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #1  

Question Vodka

So, I guess I need a little education. Why is vodka off limits in phase I and II? Is it the calorie content? I looked, and there are zero carbohydrates.

I'm kinda craving a dirty vodka martini...

Anyone know?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE2C135
So, I guess I need a little education. Why is vodka off limits in phase I and II? Is it the calorie content? I looked, and there are zero carbohydrates.

I'm kinda craving a dirty vodka martini...

Anyone know?
I myself do enjoy my vodka drinkies! I looked on the internet to find out about the calorie content, and one little tiny shot has 100 calories...bummer!!! I have NO idea why we can't drink it on SBD, but at least it's carb free, ha ha!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #3  

I think it is just because the cravings tend to attack when any type of alcohol is consumed. I know it dehydrates, and isn't the best for the body, ever, but I think vodka and a diet drink is not the worst you could do. I actually took vodka and diet sunkist with me this weekend on my float trip and did fine, but once I got a little bit in me, I started drinking a regular soda here and there, and a bit of white bread, etc. Really though, a LITTLE won't hurt. Moderation is the key, and watch what you mix it with. Watch for cravings afterwards. Everyone is different.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen4806
I think it is just because the cravings tend to attack when any type of alcohol is consumed. I know it dehydrates, and isn't the best for the body, ever, but I think vodka and a diet drink is not the worst you could do. I actually took vodka and diet sunkist with me this weekend on my float trip and did fine, but once I got a little bit in me, I started drinking a regular soda here and there, and a bit of white bread, etc. Really though, a LITTLE won't hurt. Moderation is the key, and watch what you mix it with. Watch for cravings afterwards. Everyone is different.
Yes, I must confess I had some last night mixed w/ Diet 7-up!! You're right though, because sometimes I do tend to get a wee bit hungry and then just want to grab anything.....big no no!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #5  

Yes, I think the main goal if you must have it, is to make sure you don't have so much that you forget you're on a diet...lol. I know it doesn't take much for me to be able to talk myself into cheating... If I just say the word, I start thinking about what I would have if I did cheat, lol.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen4806
Yes, I think the main goal if you must have it, is to make sure you don't have so much that you forget you're on a diet...lol. I know it doesn't take much for me to be able to talk myself into cheating... If I just say the word, I start thinking about what I would have if I did cheat, lol.
EXACTLY!!! Too funny!!!

Yes, that naughty voice comes on out after a couple of cocktails, huh??
Old 06-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #7  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Height: 5'7"

Yummmm, vodka.
As to why South Beachers like you lovely ladies can't have it I think it has to do more with how alcohol metabolizes - it goes right to glucose, and as I recall SBD is all about staying away from simple sugars. Are you allowed to have any kind of alcohol, I would be suprised if you were.
Good luck ladies!!! You can do it!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteChic_2000
Yummmm, vodka.
As to why South Beachers like you lovely ladies can't have it I think it has to do more with how alcohol metabolizes - it goes right to glucose, and as I recall SBD is all about staying away from simple sugars. Are you allowed to have any kind of alcohol, I would be suprised if you were.
Good luck ladies!!! You can do it!
Yes, I believe that I've heard that before, and it makes sense!

Must back away slowly from the vodka!!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Unfortunately vodka and other alcohols are caloric and also zero nutritionally so are should not be used on Phase I and II. However, better vodka than a mixed drink like a sling or a margarita.
Hmmm..."diet sunkist"? I bet the ingredients in that set off cravings.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #10  

Thanks for the input guys. I see the rationale now.

So, I had an extra walk last night (1 hour), and then had a dirty martini. Sorta extra exercise to try to justify it... No food cheating though. It hit the spot. I should be good for a while now...

It didn't seem to make any difference with my weight this morning. I am really hoping for a loss next week!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

In general, we're supposed to stay away from alcohol. There's a good post around here somewhere that tells what drinks are better to have than others if you are going to indulge (which should be a rare occurrance and kept to ONE drink...

When I find it, I'll bump it up and post it here, okay?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #12  

Here's a link to where we talked about this http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51507

But remember that this post was originally intended for the holidays so even if it says that certain things are good, they should be limited to special occasions. They do have calories!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Actually, Barb, I was thinking of this one:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...765#post871765

It's the third post down where you post the Daily Dish article about holiday drinking. Must have been posted in two locations!

I bumped a couple of discussions on alcohol up so you girls can check them out.

I have had a gin and diet tonic twice in the year+ that I've been on SBD. It hasn't affected my loss. If I had them every weekend and had several of them, I'm sure it would. One drink once a month sounds about right, I would think (or less if you can swing it...)
Closed Thread