South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #1  

Default What supplements and vitamins do you take?

A conversation that was happening on another thread ("Are you burning fat?") made me wonder what vitamins/supplements other Beachers are taking. I take a "women's" multi and Omega 3 fish oil capsules (for depression as well as general health). In the past I've taken Tonalin CLA (conjugated linolenic acid) and green tea extract capsules, both on the advice of articles in women's magazines about weight loss, but they're both expensive and I never had proof that they helped. I also used to take those chewable chocolate calcium things (forgot the name--in the purple box) but quit when I realized how much sugar they have.

I also used to take a glucosamine-chondroitin supplement for joint health (at the ripe age of 28 I had started to have creaky knees) but then read that glucosamine is not recommended for diabetics--and although I am not diabetic I stopped taking it since I don't want anything messing with my blood sugar. Anyone know about this?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

I don't know about the glucosamine, BellyDancer. Anyone else?

I take an iron supplement because I'm low on it. And I take cranberry capsules, because I'm prone to UT infections.
I should probably take a multi-vitamin as well, but I'm lucky if I remember to take my meds for depression and my acid reflux meds.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #3  
I painted my avatar. :-)

Same here on the iron ellis, except I double up when I am on a cycle.
I haven't heard any news on glucosamie and diabetes. But if any does, let me know. My family had a predispostion for diabetes and my mother takes glucosamine/chondrotin.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #4  

Women's One a Day--Weight Loss (with green tea extract and ECGC, whatever the heck that is...) Much prefer DS's gummy bear vitamins!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #5  

One of my friends who was a college athlete told me to take glucosamine when I had problems with my knee from running. I don't take it consistently because I forget but apparently if you take it everyday it really works well if you have joint problems. But I think it is a vitamin that works only if taken regularly. I have read the same thing about CLA but was wondering if it was safe. Does anyone know about that? Also has anyone even had success using it?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Skinnybean, I took CLA for awhile for arthritis, but I didn't see any effects.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #7  

Default vitamin supplements?

I take women's multi-vitamin with extra iron, fish oil and vitamins C and E for years. The do make a difference in winter; less colds. If the weather is cold and nasty (usually late fall until March) I add echinacea. That's all I take; should take calcium but it gives me other problems; I consume cheese regularly, though. Also would like to thank you all for the very warm welcome!
Closed Thread