South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #1  

Default discouraged at end of week 1...

hi there- so i made it through week one and i only lost about a pound and a half. i'm really discouraged this morning. i've been following the plan with no exceptions- only eating recipes from the book or that i find here. drinking almost a gallon of water a day. the only thing i can think to do is cut out the "dessert" at the end of the day that the doc recommended (and i'm afraid that doing that will make me cheat- let's be realistic.) i didn't do any exercise this week, aside from the usual i get at my job and walking home from work, only b/c i was sick. i've put in a typical day menu below- any advice, ladies? i'm really feeling low.

breakfast:
1 slice quiche made with:
fat free half and half
skim mozz
spinach
eggbeaters

snack1:
hummus with veggies

lunch:
ceaser salad with chicken, no croutons
balsamic vinagrette
diet strawberry jello

snack:
cashews

dinner:
chicken capri
acorn squash with olivio

dessert:
ricotta almond dessert - the only other dessert i've had is the "no bake cheesecake" listed on site, made with neufatel cheese

thanks!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #2  
Tia Tortuga

Actually, that is really good, 1.5 pounds in the first week - I think, having ready other's stories here, that this is more average than not. The book hypes it up like you can lose more (I guess men do, on average) but think about how many calories need to be burnt to make up a pound. And consider that your body is just adjusting to this.

I lost about 2 pounds the first week, was down five, then up two - all in the first 3 weeks - and I was thinking I did something wrong. But I've been on program pretty well and it is becoming a very natural way for me to eat now. In fact, i just lost another pound or two this past week.

So, set realistic goals for yourself - 1.5-2 pounds per week is natural and healthy for weight loss and it will stay off better than if you do something drastic.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #3  

When I was on weight watchers I would only lose 1/2 pound a week. A loss is still a loss.

Lydia
Old 05-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Magpie, you're doing well. I would add some beans to ensure that you aren't retaining weight through constipation. They also add some good carbs to the mix. Also, consider making your salad with spinach and lots of veggies rather than a caesar. Romaine is better than iceberg, but still doesn't have much to fill you up. Check out the Best Veggies sticky in the FAQ for more info on that.

That said, you definitely are doing well, though I'm sad that you are upset at your loss. The range given for Phase 1 is an average and it's and average of both weeks. If you lose the same next week, you'll have lost 3 pounds, which would definitely be in the range of that average. Having lost some and being close to goal, you are going to lose more slowly. That just means you'll keep it off. I'm about 38 pounds away from goal, and I am losing very slowly. 5 pounds a month would be a miracle right now. But I'm losing, and I'm eating healthy and exercising. It's a good life.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #5  
RNMOM

Default Hang in there!

It is hard when you feel like you are doing without and don't see the results you want. Don't compare yourself with others and don't give up. Maybe the next time you hit the scales you'll be shocked with a several pound loss. Women's bodies are fickle things and maybe the planets need to align just right.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #6  

Default thanks girls

i'm trying not to compare, but i lost so much so fast during atkins induction. i know it's different now, though, since i don't have as much to lose, but it still feels like i'm swimming upstream. well, my cold is subsiding which means i should be okay to start exercising in a few day (i have asthma- knocks me out during allergy season!) but i think i'm also gonna cut back on some things, too- taking the advice i've gotten on my menu. hopefully i'll be able to keep myself away from the scale until next week. i just filled out a body comp too, i know the scale isn't the only way you lose. thanks again!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Hide the scale, don't weigh yourself again until next month. Judge your succes by how you feel and how your clothes fit you. Did you take your measurements when you started? I noticed that my tummy went first, I could fasten my pants easier without having to suck in my gut.

Plus, with you being on Atkins previously, you've basically done an extreme phase 1 of SBD. I'd be suprised to see you had lost any weight in phase 1 at all.

As annoying as it is, not everyone loses the 8-13 pounds in phase 1 like the book tauts. If you were eating somewhat similar to this way of eating, you won't have the excess detoxing weight (does that make sense?) to lose. And if you are close to your goal weight you won't lose quickly.

Take heart, it will happen eventually if you don't give up.
Sarah
Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Magpie, something I was thinking of on my way out of work yesterday (and that's confirmed by the fact that you did Atkins) is that you lose most during Phase 1 if you've been eating a ton of junk for a long time. If you've done a low carb or super healthy diet before, you are less likely to lose in Phase1. You already lost that weight during your Atkins Induction. Now you are trying to set your body to react healthfully again to food. Try, if you can, not to focus on pounds as much as health.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #9  

Default good point ladies

i just wish there was some way to jumpstart the weight loss again- who doesn't live for a quick shot of encouragement?? haha! i'm just trying to stay on the straight and narrow and not let myself get discouraged and into cheating. it's still a little hard reconciling the difference netween SB and Atkins, with the lowfat and fatfree, you know? i thank you all so much fo rthe encouragement.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Magpie, you will find your way, hon. I know it must be very tough to reorient your brain! The plans really are different. I hope you learn to love this way of life and that you start seeing the pounds move again.
Closed Thread