South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:53 PM   #1  

Default need phase 2 and exercise help

Hi all, I haven't posted here since the summer as SB has been going well for the most part. I feel really good about it being a way of life and not an all consuming diet. So, here's the problem...I started SB Feb 2004 lost 50 lbs by the summer then I stalled (as expected and not really a big concern) losing another ten pounds to date. In order to break through this plateau I began exercising regularly back in December. I now walk 3 miles a day five days a week. I love it and feel great, the fittest I have been in my life. Boy, I'm making everything sound so great I'm sure you're wondering what the problem is Here goes, I am still stuck at the same weight. I just cannot get below 175 (since about November). I know I am turning fat to muscle, and I know I am losing inches, but I want to lose weight too. I am pretty good about sticking to SB. I could shave a few calories from my day, but I am not going overboard. I'm not having cravings. I really do not know what aspect to focus on to get moving again. Here's a run down of what I eat so you all can give me some input.

breakfast-2eggs with either 1 or 2 slices deli ham and 1 slice LF cheese some days I add veggies or leave out the ham and add a slice of WW bread or some variation there of. Once in a while just toast, or oatmeal.

after workout snack - one of the following cottage cheese sometimes with fruit, yogurt, protein drink

lunch-sandwich tuna salad, chicken salad, ham and cheese. Salad (if only a salad I add meat and or eggs)

dinner - chicken, sometimes steak, once in a wile kielbasa...always 2 veggies everything prepared in a SB friendly way

snacks - if I have one it might be one of the following... SF pudding, SF popsicles, soy & flax seed tortilla chips with salsa, popcorn. maybe once a week I have a small amount of chocolate.

drinks - I have 1-2 cups coffee in the am about 1 SF soda a day, and almost all the required water.

What do you all think? Could fat content be holding me back...should I be having more of something? Any other insight?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Yes, I think it's the fat. I'd try exchanging some of it with more veggies. You don't seem to have a lot of fibre in there, either.
What about some bean dishes? Bean salads, etc.
Sometimes in the morning, I'll have a bowl of mixed berries with some muesli and yogurt.

You're doing great with the exercise... congratulations on your progress to date!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:39 AM   #3  
Trapped Skinny Person

I agree - you need more veggies!

And don't worry about the added calories they will bring - while doing so much more exercise, your body may need more calories or (as it is doing) it will go into a stall.

Try just adding more veggies without changing anything else for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

You have done fantastically so far!!

Congrats!

Kim
Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #4  

I agree with everything that's been said. Try to aim for 4 1/2 cups of vegetables spread out throughout the day. I also seem to be doing better when I increase my fruits (especially berries) to 3 servings a day. I passed up cake last night because I knew I had SF pudding at home with lots of fresh strawberries. Make sure you get enough water. If I drink SF soda, I tend to gain. You might be retaining water too.

And depending on how close you are to your ideal weight, you body may just be losing slower now. Sometimes bumping up the intensity of the workout seems to help. You might try alternating your speed of your walk. Walk really fast for awhile and then slow down. Overall though, I think it is the lack of enough veggies.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  
buzz buzz buzzin along

Talking

your doing really good.. your an inspiration...
I ditto what the other ladies said for nutrition... I would recommend taking your measurements every month since you are working out... I mean you'd rather be 175lb--size 10 than 175--size 14, right? Fat is bigger than muscle. Muscle is heavier... so that way you are seeing the progress.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Imzadi, great to see you back! We'd love to have your encouragement around here, especially since you are doing so well! Feel free to visit more often!

Yes, it could be the fat, but I'm seeing very few veggies. Salads aren't very nutritious, although you can make them more so by using spinach instead of lettuce and adding chopped broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and green beans. Try using a veggie at one of your snacks, and adding veggies to your breakfast. And Ellis is right, beans are good, too.

Congrats on the exercise and doing so well!

Is it possible, Imzadi, that you might be at your goal? You never know...
Old 03-18-2005, 05:32 PM   #7  

Default thanks

Thank you all for the responses. I guess I lost track of how many vegetables I was eating. That is definitely something I am going to work on. Also, I had not considered that a basic salad really doesn't have that many vegetables (at least the way I make them). I have had a harder time with beans. The only beans I really love are Trader Joes chick peas and homemade baked beans (I make them with very little brown sugar and molasses). I guess I need to try some more bean dishes.

So, today I had a veggi wrap for lunch (sauteed zuchini, onion, red and green pepper, and broccoli...every vegetable I had in the house...with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes). I think I got in about 1&1/2 cups veggies! I also went to the market to pick up more veggies and fruits.

Anyway, thanks again. I really feel like I have something to work on now.
Closed Thread