South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #181  

Height: 5'2"

I am a copyeditor for a science publisher and read boring stuff all day. My eyes just can't take reading a book for enjoyment. Used to love to read but also now not much time with the kids and all. I am reliving my childhood reading though as every night I have special reading time with my daughter who is 8 and she reads to me every night as we snuggle. Great time for her and I together without her littlle brother and love to hear stories that I grew up with.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #182  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Lindy,
if your Daughter is 8, she might like the narnia series, before the movie comes out....
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Hi girls.. Im a big reader too... I love romance novels and read most anything I can about health issues and weight loss.. I have a large collection of cook books too.. which I find my self reading in the middle of the night when I cant sleep.. I just started a book by Nora Roberts, called The Gift... am looking forward to the sequal .. Red Lily due out end of this month...... India
Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #184  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lindy, that's awesome! I just did my masters in literacy and let me tell you, making reading an enjoyable experience for your kids is key in helping them become lifelong readers!!!

You might enjoy listening to books on tape in the car for pleasure...or even while on the treadmill/elliptical/bike.

I just finished reading Jennifer Weiner's "In Her Shoes" (yes, the same one as the movie) for book club. It was really good!

Now I'm reading drier non-fiction...Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' "On Death and Dying" and Harville Hendrix (sp?) book, "Getting the Love You Want".
Old 11-15-2005, 06:05 PM   #185  

Thanks for the response beachgal. Reading is something I was brought up with . My mom was a children's librarian and then became a teacher and taught 1st, 2nd and finally ended up teaching all-day kindergarten for 17 years before she retired. We have kind of passed along the love of reading. Someone suggested the Narnia series for my daughter, but I think I was a little older when I read them. She is still reading chapter books that are about 70-100 pages. It's lot of fun to sit every night with her, as long as my 4 year old does not ddrive us to crazy. Sometimes i do get to pick up something to small to read when work is slow like this week. I'll have to lok for something to get. You have inspired me to try to get back into some books.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #186  
Who needs sleep?

Lindy, your daughter may or may not be too young to read them herself yet, although you would know better than me, but they are listed as being for the 9-12 year old age range, and I was about her age when I started reading them. I was in 1st grade when our teacher read us "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" for the first time. So she is probably at a good age (about 2nd grade, right?) for you to read them to her, a few pages or a chapter at a time, or to help her to read them herself.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #187  

Thanks. I think that I might buy it for her this weekend. Doas anyone know whne the movie is coming out?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 AM   #188  
Who needs sleep?

Just stumbled across this article re: Disney's Narnia movie:

<snip>
LONDON (Reuters) - C.S. Lewis, author of the classic children's "Narnia" books which are about to make their big screen debut, was "absolutely opposed" to a live action version of his stories, a newly published letter shows.

Walt Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" is expected to be a big box office hit this Christmas season, thanks to its blend of magical fantasy themes and a strong Christian slant.

But a letter from Lewis, posted on the literary Web site Nthposition.com, revealed that he had strong feelings about how his book should be used.

"I am absolutely opposed -- adamant isn't in it! -- to a TV version," he wrote to BBC producer Lance Sieveking, who had created a radio version of his book which had met Lewis' approval.
<snip>

The whole story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051129/...arts_narnia_dc

I thought that was interesting. Too bad whoever sold the rights to Disney didn't take Lewis's feelings into account.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #189  
I vant to draw your blood

You all don't know how much it warms my heart to read that so many of you love romance novels! As a writer, and member of Romance Writers of America, it really gives me hope that literacy is still alive and well!

Right now, I'm reading "44 Cranberry Cove", by Debbie Macomber. This is the 4th in a series about the small town of Cedar Cove, in northwest Washington State. One of the main characters is Olivia, she's a family court judge famous for her controversial decisions.

There's been an on-going mystery of some Vietnam war buddies, one commits suicide, one is murdered and the other one runs the local B&B.

Despite the length, these books read very fast.

I'd also recommend "A Good Yarn", and "The Shop on Blossom Street", also by Debbie Macomber.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:06 AM   #190  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mamacita, I'm sure romance is alive and well! Considering the number of romance novels that have cracked spines and show up at the used book sales around here, I think there are LOTS of readers.

Debbie Macomber is a great author. I'll have to look for the books you recommended! There's another great romance writer that uses WA state as her setting. Good author too...hopefully it'll come to me.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #191  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I read "The Shop on Blossom Street" for book club, it was a fun read!

Although Lewis was apparently opposed to a film version, his stepson Douglas Gresham was a spiritual advisor on the film and I know he absolutely adored his stepfather and wanted to keep it as accurate as possible (I work for a Christian publisher and we did a book by Gresham).

I enjoy the book comments! I just read "The Other Boleyn Girl" for book club, it was fascinating! I am working my way through "The Poisonwood Bible" by Kingsolver right now--dense!

Jessie
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #192  
Who needs sleep?

I'm sure Gresham tried very hard. What I'm saying is that it's too bad that he didn't just respect his stepfather's wishes, since he did love him so much. Personally, I detest Disney, and it kills me that they've gotten hold of the rights to Lewis's works.
Closed Thread