Egg Question

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi!

I was at Walgreens yesterday and found an "Egg-stractor" for $4.99. So, I picked one up. When I got home and tried it out with some hardboiled eggs, the dang thing didn't work. SO, my DB tired it and the flippin yolk popped out.

Apparently, the thing only works after they are freshly cooked and then cooled for 10 minutes. My question is: Does anyone know how long a hardboiled egg will last after it's been peeled? I don't want to boil eggs every morning just so I could use my new toy. I like to cook a bunch and then leave them in the fridge!

Thanks!!!
  • Why do you want to peel them all at once? I wouldn't advise peeling them until you need them. Do you have trouble with the shells sticking?

I like to cook a batch to have ready for the week. Here is how to get them to peel easier. After you boil them put them in ice water/cold water. You may have to drain once or twice and add more until the eggs are cool. (It seems like I've heard about another method using vinegar, but I don't recall how it worked.)

Also, the fresher the eggs, the more the shell membranes cling to the shells. You'll get better results from eggs that are about 5 days old from the packing date.

I hope this helps!!
  • exactly how long are you supposed to cook eggs to hard boil them? this question has plagued me for some time. i never know!
  • Here is my tried and true foolproof method. I think I posted it somewhere else in here but...
    Hard Cooked Eggs
    Put the eggs in a pot with cold water to cover. Leave the lid off. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover. Allow to stand for 20-30 minutes.

I've been doing this for 45 years! If you want soft-boiled, leave for five minutes.
  • Boil your eggs, peel them, and then put them in a container with water and a lemon wedge and you can easily store them for a week. Enjoy!
  • Ruth you boil eggs just like my Mom does!
  • I bought one of those eggstracters over the weekend. It's pretty cool. I boil my eggs for 2mins then let sit for 10mins per Emeril Lagasse. The eggs turn out perfect!! I don't peel my eggs until I"m ready to eat them.
  • Man, I boil mine for about 30 minutes, lol!
  • Quote: Ruth you boil eggs just like my Mom does!
    She IS your Mom!
  • Yeah I know I was just tryin to make her feel better about that fact! lol I'll never admit your my sister though! teehee!
  • humph!
  • Quote: Man, I boil mine for about 30 minutes, lol!
    Ack, you do? Wow, you like your hard-boiled eggs REALLY hard, lol.

I put mine in cool water, and bring to a boil. I then boil for 8 minutes, then remove them from the hot water and put them in an ice bath. I aim for creamy smooth dark yellow yolks, without a hint of green in them, and this method produces that always.
  • abadoozy, your avatar is soooo cute!

our weight loss goals are somewhat similar.
  • Oy, am I the only one wondering just what an "Egg-stractor" actually is?!? Besides something that only works after a 10-minute cooling period and apparently flips yolks out of hard-boiled eggs?
  • The egg-stracter is exactly that. LOL It extracts eggs. http://www.tvproductsonly.com/eggstr...gstractor.html