South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #1  
hottie in training

Smile new to the SB Diet, saying hello & confession

ok first off i am starting phase 2 today. i did phase 1 for two weeks and i think i lost 7 pounds. i say "I think" because every scale i have (home, work, gym) tells me a different weight! very frustrating. think i need to get a new one!
anyway over the weekend i was soooooooooooooooooooooo craving carbs. i started phase 2 today but i knew a healthy carb wasn't going to cut it. i broke down and had TWO candy bars. I don't feel too bad about it because it is a momentary lapse (i hope!) but i just wanted to put that out there. i guess i am wondering if the same thing happened to other people.

my other thing about SBD is that i still have to get my portions under control. i find i am eating salads which is great but i am eating great big salads and feel stuffed afterwards and i do not like that feeling!

anyway, hello my name is jenn, i am 26. i am getting married in july and want to drop 2 sizes in time for my fittings, which will probably be in may.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #2  

Welcome to the Beach, Jenn! Most of us break down occasionally and eat foods that are off plan. One important thing that helps is to make sure they you are prepared with healthy snacks that you like.

Try eating slower and you will recognize that you are full sooner. Or eat soups since they force you to slow down.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jenn, welcome!

If I were you, I would do some serious thinking about why you were craving carbs. If you eliminated all sugar during Phase 1, you should not have had any more physical cravings. If they were mental cravings, they may be likely to sabotage you again as long as you view this program as depriving you. If that is the case, a program that doesn't limit your food choices, like WW might be better for you. Either way, you are always welcome here.

Regarding scales, just pick one and stick to it. It doesn't matter what the number is, what matters is that it registers a change. Does that make sense?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #4  
Conquering with SBD

Welcome to SBD.

I agree with Laurie about the scales. Use one scale and stick with it. It will still give you an indication of the amount of weight that you lose, it just may be out a few pounds either way. Also, the problem with the varying scales could be the time of day that you are weighing. I generally take my 'official' weight every morning in the buff before I start the day off. I am at my lowest at that time of the day so it is a bit of motivation to stick with it. If I am up any weight, I count it as motivation to get back with the plan (just a mental game that I play with myself). I also weigh myself throughout the day, but know that my weight will vary...I guess I just can't stay off the scale. I am at the highest after I eat and later in the day. However, if you get a good idea of how your weight varies throughout the day, you can actually do a good job of monitoring your eating plan and knowing if you have been too off plan for the day. I know the experts tell you to weigh only once per week, but that does not work for me. I need to know and monitor the weight on a constant basis. BUUUT, you must do what works for you.

About the candy bars....hmmmmm. That was not good. Part of the SBD is developing a new, healthy WOE, and unfortunately requires some discipline. Having treats occassionally is not bad and you should allow yourself some times that you can enjoy the odd treat. But make a rule for yourself that your treats will be planned, in advance, not just a whim at the moment. Like Laurie says, keep some healthy snacks available and eat them when you get the urge to have something that is not OP. Also, remember that you can enjoy sweet treats that are fully SBD friendly - SF jello, ricotta cheese (I always say that, even if the ricotta cheese is an extra helping for the day, it is better to indulge in that rather than a candy bar), sf fudgsicles, etc.

You can do this. I know that you can.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #5  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey Jenn Welcome to the beach.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Jenn, welcome to the Beach!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #7  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Jenn,

Hi and welcome to the beach. Sounds a little like a sugar addiction to me. Sounds like me before SBD. I even have to be careful of things that taste sweet but are made from sugar alternatives because they trigger the sugar monster within. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Jenn, Welcome to the Beach!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #9  
hottie in training

Anchor weight-

Hi and welcome to the beach. Sounds a little like a sugar addiction to me. Sounds like me before SBD. I even have to be careful of things that taste sweet but are made from sugar alternatives because they trigger the sugar monster within. Good luck!

I think you are probably on the right track. I do feel like a sugar addict sometimes. even if I eat sugar free jello, i feel like i can sit there and eat the whole container, becuase it tastes so sweet and good. perhaps i should really try to stay away from all sweet things, sugar free or not!?!?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #10  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Welcome to the beach and good luck.

I know the sugar monster too well myself.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #11  
Learning to love ME!

Me, too! I gave up sweets altogether on January 1st and haven't had any since. However, like JennPGH, I find that I do crave sweets if I eat desserts made with sugar substitutes, so I'm not eating those either. After awhile abstaining, it gets easier.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #12  

Welcome
Closed Thread