South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Cheese.....argh!!!!

I'm getting a bit frustrated because I can't seem to find block cheese that is either lf or ff. I really want some so I can make some roll ups but I'm not having any luck!

Anybody have any suggestions???
Old 02-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #2  

Edam contains 30% less fat than regular colby cheese. I also by lite sliced cheese. Cottage cheese and feta are other good l/f options.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:30 PM   #3  

It doesn't have to be labelled low fat or nonfat. Check the nutrition label - any cheese with less than 6 grams of fat per serving is OK.

Also, check if your grocery store has a specialty cheese case. My grocery stores always have the normal cheese in the dairy case, but the lowfat stuff is in a special case by the deli.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #4  

Do you have access to a Sam's Club in your area? They have both Cabot's low-fat cheddar and a different brand (I'm blanking on the name) of low-fat Swiss. Because it is a Wharehouse store they come in bulk sizes, but are all pre-sliced "blocks".....it is somewhat cheaper than several smaller packs and lasts a long time.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

That's odd that you can't find it. My parents live in a very small town in Kansas and their Super Walmart carries a couple different types.

Ask your grocery store or dairy manager if they will start to stock one or two varieties. Sometimes they don't know that a product is wanted until a couple people ask for it. Sometimes they will order a product special for you if you are a regular customer. Most stores will do that, but some require you to buy the entire case.

Kraft makes a 2% fat version in the Cracker Barrel brand, Velveeta makes a low fat version (modified frankenfood, but I like it occasionally). At least these are the more well known brands. Part skim milk mozzarella is allowed, it's lower fat.

Once you do find it, you can stock up a little. Most freeze ok, it affects texture a little, but most of the time I'm melting mine so I don't notice.

Sarah
Old 02-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

We live in Podunk, NY, and we have several varieties at most grocery stores. I love Cabot's "Reduced Fat" cheese, also Sargento's Light cheese. I use our store brand 1% milk slices also. Part Skim Milk mozz is easy to find, and our deli has tons of light cheeses if you're willing to pay their higher prices. I splurge on Lorraine light swiss sometimes.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #7  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I have the same problem here. Costco (2 hours away) used to carry a really good block cheese but the don't anymore. I can get the 2% Kraft slices but I too like block cheese.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #8  
buzz buzz buzzin along

I have the same the problem at the stores here or they are too expensive. I buy the slice cheese in the lf/ff.
Closed Thread