Can you nuke oatmeal??

• I'm just starting Phase 2 and am looking forward to oatmeal, which I love. My problem is I start work at 7:30 in the morning which means I have to get up, as they say down here, at 0 dark 30. I'd love to be able to make a big pot of oatmeal over the weekend and just nuke it in the morning. Has anybody tried that? I most CERTAINLY don't want "exploded oatmeal" all over the inside of my microwave! Thanks for any guidance.

Marion in Savannah
  • I nuke mine but I make it fresh each time. I use the half cup oatmeal with cup of water and microwave according to the directions on the Quaker box. BUT, the bowl has to be very large or it will boil over. I have also decreased the heat and increased the length of time a little and that works just fine.
  • You bet! Check out the Food Forum. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50859
    There's also an Oatmeal Trick # 2 in that Forum.
    I made Red River Cereal overnight in the crockpot and it was pretty good. Harry got up later than I did and nuked his and it was perfect!

Hint: After you post, if you take a look after your entry, there is a whole list of posts covering similar topics.
  • I make a huge pot full when I make oatmeal and reheat each morning. Scoop it into your bowl, add a little liquid depending on how thick you like your oatmeal, heat for a little bit, take it out and stir it real good then heat a little more. You can add different flavorings-sugar free syrups, nuts, fruit- also so that it's all not the same each day.

So far I've not had it explode.

Sarah
  • My Mom does that and I have eaten at her house and it was good but I'm like Barb and make it fresh in the micro daily. When I'm on phase 2 of course which right now I am not and don't want to talk about oatmeal cause I love it so much! lol I put milk in my oatmeal if it seems a lil thick. Barb DD and I learned the hard way about the big bowl the first time we nuked it! What a sticky mess! We have learned. lol
  • Thanks for the tips, links and ideas! Y'all are the BEST!
  • I nuke, too. Mine boils over when I cook it too long--two minutes for 1/2 cup works just right. Then I throw in a little ICBINB and a packet of Splenda, and I'm a happy chick. =)
  • I always nuke mine - I've even found that I can do steel cut oats. My technique is to cook for twice as long at half power.

1/3 oatmeal
    1 C water
    pinch salt

Mix in a *large* bowl. Nuke for 5-6 minutes at 50% power. Let sit for a couple of minutes.

I like to add chopped apple or berries, a few chopped pecans and some Splenda. I will sometimes use 1C of milk instead of water for a richer oatmeal.

Think I'll go make some right now!