South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #1  
i luv my dog!

Default Friday Beach Chat 1/21

Hello Beach Babes,

I hope everyone has had a nice third week of January. We are moving right along in 2005. Today is Friday and here's the deal:

GOOD - It's Friday; my fridge is stocked with OP food; Anchor is ONEderland, Hershey is back from the vet; we have many newbies here; Barb's lowered her meds; Bamie's feeling better; Ruth has a treadmill in her bathroom; RNMOM is almost finished with Phase 1; Little Chick is getting a new puppy; Laurie put the cheesecake in the freezer!!!

BAD - I'm on phase 1, day 3; I have a cold; it's my TOM; DH is away on business for 2 weeks; Mamacita's BIL is still hanging around; Ruth dented the car; Jake killed Cottage's begonias and impatiens. Things could be worse!!

*Good for You, Bad for Me* - it's warm and sunny right now in California, Bermuda and Australia!

I have a question for those of you who were able to get the Kraft SBD recipe book promotion recently (I think they were free at the grocery store ??) My store never had any so I was thinking about ordering one? It is worth the trouble (3 UPC codes, receipt, form, and $1.19)?? I went to the website and liked the way they layed out some meal ideas and told you whether it was ok for phase 1, 2 or 3.

If anyone is thinking of trying something new (foodwise) this weekend I offer BARLEY RISOTTO with Spinach and Taleggio cheese. I was in Italy last weekend and this was one of the courses we were served - it was FABULOUS! To make it just find a risotto recipe you like and use pearled barley in place of the arborio rice. This is going to be the first thing I make after I finish doing phase 1. By the way, Fuzzy's slow-cooker chicken-barley soup recipe looks pretty good also.

But for now I need to prep/cook a bunch of good Phase 1 stuff today and tomorrow to keep me ready for the next several days. I bought veggies, cheese, chicken and frozen fish. To start with on the menu we have............

Baba Ganouj
Caponata
Taco Bake
field greens salad with feta
marinated mushrooms
sauteed cabbage
porta bella mushrooms
salmon with green beans
Crustless Zesty Lemon Pie (just yogurt and Jello-mix)
and something for breakfast, either the egg muffins or some type of egg casserole.
I'm going to try to snack on veggies and stay away from the cheese and nuts. I've got some cherry toms, celery, SF pickled red peppers and senf gurken (mustard seed pickles)

I guess its time to get of the computer now. Ciao!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #2  
I vant to draw your blood

Good morning, Chicks~~

Abroad, the barley risotto sounds delicious, but I was under the impression that pearled barley isn't considered a whole grain b/c it's been polished, similar to white rice. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or maybe the pearled barley you get over across the pond is different than what we can get here.

Sad, but true, BIL is still hanging around like a bad case of food poisoning. Last night we had a household "meeting" regarding shower schedules. When dh mentioned that I'd ended up getting a cold shower day before yesterday, BIL came back with one of his sarcastic, "humorous" (hostility in disguise) comments about how one cold shower in 6 months isn't such a bad thing. I just kept my mouth shut...the old adage "if you can't say something nice...."

Glad today is Friday, though. That means, I get off work early, meet with Miss Mary for a brainstorming session, then off to spend my paycheck on groceries. Going to try and load up on fresh spinach, yellow squash, and chard, to boost my veggie intake.

Hope you all have a great day on the Beach!

Mamacita
Old 01-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wow! That post is making me hungry, Abroad. I must try the barley risotto.

Mamacita, that BIL has to go. Does he have any definite plans to move out or shall we get a contract on him? Enjoy your time with Miss Mary.

Hershey is still in recovery mode and will be for quite some time. After all, it takes us 6 weeks to recover from a hysterectomy. She looks at me with those sad brown eyes and is breaking my heart! I am going to check out my reference books and give her something for pain as I can tell by the way she moves that she's hurting. She takes a few steps and then just groans and lies down. Anyhow she is eating and goes outside for a pee when needed so that's positive. I can't believe she went 30 hours without a pee! I wish I could!

Hey! I actually am exercising! First time ever! Just five minutes on the treadmill twice a day for now is very invigorating and very different from walking outside. Warmer too! It definitely is a boring five minutes so I am going to get set up with books on tape. The other exercises I do are easy - which probably means I'm not doing them right!

Today will be a stay at home day. Jane did come yesterday (2 hours late!) and I went to town for veggies and fruit. Blackberries for breakfast! I am getting very selfish about things like that and am not sharing with Harry who is inclined to pick away at my SBD foods. It really pisses me off to see he's eated 1/3 of a ryecrisp! I am so anal! (I even take the eggs out of their carton in order.)

Dinner tonight will be crockpot Lamb Tajine. I'll post the recipe if it's good. I'm going to make clam/scallop chowder for lunch with zucchini instead of potatoes.

Have a super day on The Beach, chickies, and stay warm if you are in the same band of ice as Ellis and I are! Brrrr!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone! Just finished my breakfast and I am finishing my coffee while I get my "home" computer stuff out of the way before heading to work.

We got a couple more inches of snow yesterday, enough to enable cross-country skiing, so we did that for an hour yesterday evening. Fun! I am getting better at it, and it sure beats trying to run on the slippery roads. They are forecasting more snow and "near white out conditions" this evening though so I am a little worried and will probably leave work early.

I ordered the SBD book with 2 day shipping and it has already shipped! It is slated to arrive on Monday. It shipped from KY so should really get here tomorrow, but I think if you order 2-day shipping from UPS they hold the package until the day you paid for.

I have to say I have been fighting this huge tendency to binge on carbs knowing that I won't be able to have them for two weeks. That's bad. I don't want to start SBD with a huge weight gain.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Geekchic, eat legumes and lots of veggies. This is NOT a no carb diet! Binge on chick peas or another good carb!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Morning all,
I know I should be at Curves right now, and I got up with that intention, but haven't worked up to actually going yet. We're expecting at least 10" of snow tomorrow, so I'm going to sit down and plan out my menus for the week, then start fresh Monday morning. I haven't strayed from SBD, but I've been eating way way too many carbs. When I think that I started this last year at this time, I'm ashamed of myself that I haven't reached my goal yet. My mind is on the right track, now I just have to get my will-power there!
A Broad Abroad, I saw that you live in Wuerzburg. We lived in Augsburg for almost 7 years and loved every minute of it. I would love to go back to visit someday, we really miss the people (and the food!), and the breathtaking countryside. Do you Volksmarch? We would go every weekend.

Mamacita, I really sympathize with you. My SIL lived with us for about a year, and I thought it would be great because we were so close, but we got to the point we could hardly stand to look at one another. Since she's moved out, we've become friends again, but it will never be the same as it once was.

I'm taking the little ones to a birthday party at the mall this afternoon. It's going to be held at the "Build-A-Bear" store, so that should be a lot of fun. Then we're meeting friends for a late lunch. Afterwards I'll probably need a long nap, so there's my day.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:37 AM   #7  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

Morning all;
Not much to do here today. Going to gym in about 15 mins. DS still has my van again today. So, having to drive DH's van to gym and bank. I hate being stuck at home. But, I do get things done. Having a major struggle with a pound. It's gone, it reappears, gone, appears. I think I had too much salt yesterday. It's just getting on my nerves. I drank all my water and stayed on program. I don't have TOM anymore, haven't since 2000. I had no starch yesterday either. I am thinking of maybe doing PH 1 again for a week. Maybe then I can knock it. I want so bad to get out of the 60's and into the 50's. Any suggestions would be great.
Well, off to get shoes on and take off. DH will watch the GB's for me.
Have a great day.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #8  

Ruth, now I really feel guilty about missing my workout this morning! Enjoy your treadmill. Poor Hershey, I hope she's feeling better real soon. It breaks my heart how you describe her big sad eyes.

Geekchic, welcome to the Beach. I'm keeping you company next week, so we can compare menus.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #9  

Hi, Chipper, I missed your post! I think your gain is probably just water weight from the salt.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:47 AM   #10  
A Lily from my yard!

A drive by for me today. I have to get DH packed and to the airport this morning. He has to go to Tx. for the w-end. It's some kind of mgr.'s meeting. Looks like y'all are up and at 'em this morning!
Abroad I love your post! What a great way to sum it all up! Have a great day everyone.
Cottage... I can totally relate on not being to goal by now! No body's fault but my own!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #11  
GARDENING ADDICT

Abroad~I loved your opening post today!!! Good food for thought

Well, I'm back (sorta) on the beach but not quite settled-in yet. My kitchen has been in remodel mode since the end of Oct but things are finally finishing up. I plan today to break-in the stove/oven and finally be able to cook something healthy. Once the countertops are installed~~watch out !!!!

I've missed everybody here while I was gone and I'm happy to still see some familar faces. Welcome to all the Newbies who have come here : I hope to get to meet you all.

I need to lose all the extra weight that I gained last year, so I will come here often for youe support , encouragement and an occassional kick in the a$$ when needed.
Now I need to get caught up on what you all have been up to recently.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #12  
i luv my dog!

mamacita, I found pearled barley on page 81 in the GFGCC listed as "good." Serving size is 1/2 cup.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #13  

Evening everyone... well I could actually say morning as it is after midnight!

I am just sitting here waiting for my husband to get home. He and a friend are having a boys night Trust me when I say that it will be very behaved... they aren't that sort of guys. This is the first time in over a decade that he has actually organised a night to himself... I am so glad that he is doing it.

But I am soooooo bored So I will just be trolling the boards....

Hope you are all having a great day.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #14  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Good Morning Everyone~

Lots of you all up & at 'em this morning. Well, worked last night at the restaurant, and I was good!! I had pizza but didn't eat any of the crust. It was sooo goooooood!! I served so much of it last night, along with beer, I just couldn't resist. But, no crust for me!! YAY!! I had every intention on a salad though, but it's ok, I had a salad for lunch. Stepped on the scale this morning, and it's not budging. *Sigh* I have lost some inches in hips/abdomen so I guess I'll be satisfied with that. For now.....

Not much planned today..Housework, baby is trying to cut 2 bottom teeth and he's not a happy camper so today could be a very long day. Not sure what to make for dinner yet, guess I need to come up with something quick. I did try the stuffed pork chops the other night and those were so good. My family enjoyed them as well.

Well, baby is starting to scream at me..time for more Orajel and Motrin. I'll check back in later. Have a FANTASTIC OP Day!!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #15  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

Sil--- is that a Yorky or Silky your holding?? I have an 7 month old Silky. His ears never stood up. Someone told me that I should have shaved his ears while he was teething. They didn't stand because of weak ears through breeding. His mommy is papered, but, daddy wasn't but, was a purebred. So, I only paid 280 for him which was real good. These dogs are expensive. Mines name is Scooter. Should have called him little monster.
Closed Thread