Ziploc Ice cream

• Does anyone know if you can use fat free milk instead of ff evaporated milk?
  • Not sure if this is anything like the garbage ice cream I used to make with my kids for a science project, but if so, the answer is no. We tried it, and the ice cream was very runny and soft. I even put it in a real ice cream freezer to try and make it more solid but didn't have any luck.
    Some other teachers I asked said that there needs to be something (I think they said milk fat, but that doesn't make sense as I think on it, because we did use the fat-free evaporated milk) to make it hold together better.
    We didn't make ours in garbage bags, either, being a small class and special needs beside, each student made their own in ziplocs.
    The reason we used the fat-free milk is because I have always had a milk allergy and can't tolerate anything other than skim/fat-free milk in large quantities.

• Sorry, Focus, it has to be the evaporated milk because of its thickness.
  • awh! Thanks guys.
  • Do you reckon you could use lite coconut milk instead of eveaporated milk? We have a Nestle boycott here at home, and the only available brands are owned by them.
    Cheers.