New Dietary Guidelines (Daily Dish)

• I heard about this on the news today. Interesting! Good to know we are already on the right track!

Quote:
    New Government Guidelines for Diet and Exercise

Yesterday, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released new dietary guidelines that emphasize making smart choices from every food group and engaging in regular physical activity. The new recommendations encourage people to eat whole grains, fresh produce, lean sources of protein, and heart-healthy unsaturated fats — foods that are all an integral part of The South Beach Diet™.

The guidelines aim to address the concern that 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, and 50% don't get the recommended amount of activity, according to the HHS. It's part of the government's ongoing effort to fight the obesity epidemic and to increase healthful habits — which help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, and cancer. Here are some of the recommendations:
    • Select low-fat dairy and lean sources of protein, such as lean poultry and fish.
    • Consume a variety of fruits, as well as more dark green vegetables (broccoli, kale); more orange vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash); and beans and peas.
    • Make sure at least half the grains you eat are whole grains.
    • Limit fat, salt, and sugar.
    • If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation, which is defined as up to one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men.
    • Be sure to exercise, and try to do so for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week. (60 minutes a day may be needed to maintain a healthy weight.)

So how does The South Beach Diet™ fit in to the new guidelines? Secretary of Agriculture Ann M. Veneman said that The South Beach Diet™ — beginning with Phase 2 and particularly in Phase 3, the maintenance Phase — is "very consistent with these guidelines." This is because The South Beach Diet™ encourages people to eat a balanced diet that emphasizes whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, and lean protein sources, such as nuts, fish, and lean meats and poultry.

The new guidelines have been compiled into an easy-to-read brochure titled, "Finding Your Way to a Healthier You." You can find a copy by visiting http://www.healthierus.gov/dietaryguidelines/.
  • That's encouraging news for the Beachers. Thanks, Laurie!
  • That is encouraging! I don't consider SBD a diet anymore...it's just the way I eat now. (most of the time )
  • Nice to know, thanks for posting
  • Good point, Merrylegs! I never know how to express that, but I feel the same way!