3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Yet another newbie! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/51270-yet-another-newbie.html)

ravensgirl 01-04-2005 10:49 AM

Yet another newbie!

:coffee: Goodmorning and I'm so happy to find this site with so many modivating people on the SBD! I decided to take the plunge and give it a shot after hearing about it from several friends, and my Uncle has had GREAT success on it, losing 45 pounds so far! I'm enjoying phase 1, as i have not cooked a lot in the last YEAR! My boyfriend cooks, and TOO WELL, so I was so happy my first attempt (spicy spanish rubbed chicken with mustard-onion sauce) was a success! I look forward to reading your posts and going succeeding TOGETHER!

Bups 01-04-2005 11:00 AM

Welcome Ravengirl!

You will find lots of very friendly knowledgable people here.

Kim

a broad abroad 01-04-2005 11:07 AM

Ravensgirl welcome to the beach. The water is just right. You'll find lots of support, info, etc. on this forum.

By the way, we love it when someone posts a great new recipe. (hint hint) That spanish spiced chicken w/mustard sauce sounds delish!!

beachgal 01-04-2005 11:20 AM

Welcome, Ravensgirl! :wave:

Was that the chicken recipe from the cookbook with the green onion sauce? Did you like it?

little chick 01-04-2005 11:39 AM

Welcome to the Beach.

Bamiegurl 01-04-2005 11:40 AM

Welcome to the beach!

Barb0522 01-04-2005 11:45 AM

Welcome! We DO love to try new recipes. I'm working my way through much of the cookbook but there are always new things to experiment with.

ravensgirl 01-04-2005 12:02 PM

Yayyy it was so fun to read all these replies! The recipe is in the Southbeach Cookbook *(which I highly recommend!)* It was fabulious, but I "kicked it up a knotch (sorry Emeril) by adding "ground red pepper) instead of paprika.. (giggle) ... It reads as follows: (note I also used a mini indoor grill (like a George forman and it gave GREAT results!)

For the sauce:
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
3 tablespoons finely chopped flat parsley

For the Spanish spice rub:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
3 tablespoons Spanish or regular paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

For the chicken:
8 boneless chicken breasts with skin
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish.

1. To make the sauce: In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Slowly whisk in 1 cup olive oil until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add scallions and chopped parsley. Mix well, and set aside.

2. To make the spice rub: Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fennel seeds, and combine. Add paprika, salt and pepper, and stir until well blended. Set aside.

3. To make the chicken: Heat a grill to medium. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil, and season both sides with salt to taste. Rub skin side of each breast with spice rub, and place on grill rub-side down. Grill until slightly charred and a crust has formed, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn breasts over, cover grill, and continue cooking until just cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.

4. To serve, spoon some sauce on a platter, and arrange chicken breasts on top. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve remaining sauce on side.

Yield: 8 servings

Ruthxxx 01-04-2005 12:42 PM

Wow! Welcome to The Beach and thanks for a great recipe!

Barb0522 01-04-2005 12:53 PM

That does sound good! I am surprised that it uses chicken with the skin on. I thought we were supposed to remove it? Could you cut and paste it to a new thread in the recipe section, either Entrees - Phase 1 or Entrees - Phase 2 based on what the cookbook says. I love the cookbook but not everyone here has it.

Nalaminu 01-04-2005 01:22 PM

Welcome Ravensgirl!

:wave:

Nally