Also if you haven't had a bowel movement, (yes, I know, gross talking about bodily functions with complete strangers
) you may be retaining all the food you've been eating the last 3 days.
Things that newbies can do without knowing any better:
(Correct me if I'm wrong or misleading please)
1. Salt is a big problem. If you are eating canned beans, make sure you are rinsing them before using them. They contain a lot of sodium. The cheeses and nuts also tend to contain a lot of salt. The V-8 juice Dr. A. suggests for breakfast also high in salt. Look for the low sodium one. It stills taste good.
2. Not taking a fiber supplement of some sort or if you don't want to do supplmental fiber, maybe eat more beans each day....but don't go over board either.
3. It's one serving of nuts or peanut butter/nut butter per day. Not one serving of each type.
4. Not drinking enough water? At least 2 quarts a day. Water is water, not soda or crystal lite. You can get buy with a little flavoring with your water, but don't drink the entire 2 quarts as soda or full strenght crystal lite or sugar free kool-aid type stuff. Plus it has a lot of sodium also.
5. Eating too much fat. In phase 1, it's easy to eat over 60% of your calories from fat. Like Beachgal said, don't go over board on the ricotta desserts. Try to stick to 1 serving a day. Even when using the low fat cheeses, they still several grams of fat each serving.
6. Not eating enought vegetables. Some people get this plan confused with Atkins and focus on the meat/cheese/eggs aspect and totally forget that you should be eating a ton of vegetables a day. (ok, maybe not a ton, but several servings each meal.)
Oh dear, I hope I'm not totally freaking you out. Really, it's simple.
Drink lots of water
eat a wide variety of vegetables each meal
stick with the lower fat or fat free versions of cheeses and dairy.
drink more water
eat more vegetables
eat some beans for fiber
drink more water and walk to the farthest bathroom you can. Phase 1 can introduce you to so many different bathrooms.