South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #1  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Default New to South beach... have a couple questions

I lost 95 pounds on Weight Watchers 3 years ago. I've gain 15 back in the last year... and I need to do something now before I gain back even more.

I'm 4'11" and 140 pounds currently.

My wedding is 3 months away and I'd really like to lose 20 pounds by then.

Question 1 - Can I lose 20 pounds on the South Beach Diet in 3 months?

Question 2 - I exercise 4-6 times a week for an hour. Without carbs in phase I, will I have the energy to work out?

Question 3 - the book didn't mention things like soy sauce, etc. Can we use these things to add flavor to our food?

THANKS so much for any help!!!!
Lisa
Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #2  
Conquering with SBD

Welcome to the beach. Your story sounds similar to mine. I lost a lot of weight on weight watchers a few years ago, but gained some of it back. I hadn't really thought about losing the weight until my dr. hassled me about my weight gain. He suggested that I cut carbs and sugar out of my diet...as he said, "try it for a month and see what happens." At that point, my DH told me that everyone where he works was following SBD and from what they said, it was a diet based on carbs.

After I researched the diet, I decided to combine SBD with my dr. instructions and stayed on Phase 1 form more than 2 weeks. The original plan was to stay on for a month, but I was due for surgery in 5 1/2 weeks after I started, so stayed on Phase 1 for that period of time. I lost 17 1/2 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks. Soooo, a long story to answer your question, it is possible to lose the 20 pounds in 2 months, but you may need to readjust the program to accomplish that.

Now the exercise....I wasn't exercising prior to starting SBD, but began to exercise with the start of the diet. Since I wasn't feeling well, I began by doing a cardio workout of 30 minutes about 2 to 3 times per week. It didn't seem to affect me, but I do know that some of the ladies with whom I work have experienced dizziness, etc. because their blood sugar dropped too low. I would suggest that you try it, if it doesn't work for you, adjust your eating plan to include a fruit, or something on the days that you workout.

Good luck and congrats on the wedding.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #3  

Another possibility to avoid the carb crash in Phase 1 is to eat some beans, such as chickpeas in a hummus dip. They add fibre and some good carbs and are allowable on Phase 1. Best of luck!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #4  

Welcome to the Beach, Tilley! It is certainly possible to lose that much weight but since you don't have a whole lot to lose you might find it difficult. I imagine what you are really concerned about is losing inches so you fit better into your wedding dress. South Beach will definitely help with that especially since you are exercising.

South Beach is not a low carb diet although it is certainly lower carb in phase 1. You need to make sure you get lots of carbs from legumes during phase 1 which will help give you energy to continue exercising. Also make sure you drink your milk and eat your fat free plain yogurt. You might need to drop the intensity of your workout but you can probably continue it.

Many of the recipes in the official South Beach cookbook have Soy sauce in them. I used it in the Soy Ginger Asparagus (which works with green beans too) as well as things like the Chinese 5 Spice Chicken and there is a recipe using chinese 5 spice, soy, ginger and salmon. I believe it is fine during phase 1 but it has been a long time since I have done phase 1. You might need to watch the amount you use because the sodium can cause water retention. The Good Fats/Good Carbs book helps with a lot of less common foods but mine is at home right now.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #5  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Thanks so much ladies for your advice and encouragement!! I've been on the WW board for years and knew I'd find some great support here.

Sweet tooth... thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking on staying on Phase I for a month before heading to phase II.

I'm excited to finally get these last 25 pounds off. And hopefully most of it before the wedding.

THANKS!
Lisa
Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #6  
I found my hipbones!

Just to comment a little on Barb's input, there are several SBD recipes with soy, but Dr. A's recipes usually call for low-sodium soy.

Some good flavor boosters for the diet: garlic, tobasco, soy, artificial brown sugar, mustard, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, Mrs. Dash, chicken broth. I sauté a lot of onions to go with meat dishes. I sprinkle mozzarella or parmesan or low-fat cheddar on veggies sometimes to jazz them up.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #7  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Welcome! Stick your toes in the sand and stay awhile.

Yes you can lose 20 pounds on SBD in that amount of time. Think veggies and lean protien. You can do it!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #8  

WOW Tillie congrands on the loss thus far and the impending wedding

You and I must be twins seperated at birth~lol~ cept I am an inch taller and 4lbs heavier

You can do this

I work out every day, 30-45 mins on tread or stairmaster thing and then rotate my upper and lower body workouts so Im not working one part of my body every day cept abs. You may not feel like doing it, but do it~hugs~
Old 01-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

Welcome to the sand. Glad you joined us and congrats on the upcomin wedding!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Lisa, welcome to the Beach!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #11  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Thanks girls for the friendly welcome and encouragement!!!

Hey Trish - we are "twins." I'm actually 4'10 1/2 but that's tough to write out all the time. I should start rounding up!!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #12  

~lol~ Im 4'11 & 3/4
Closed Thread