South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #1  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Default Shirataki - Noodle Shaped Tofu

It's a hit! I just finished a big bowl of spagetti sauce with these funny little japanese noodles. The package says:

What is Shirataki?
Shirataki is composed of thin gelatinous strings made from yam flour. from the konnyaku root and has very low caloric or digestible food values. This traditional Japanese food is enjoyed for its simple taste and unique texture.

Nutrition facts:

Serving size 4oz
Servings per package 2

Calories 20
Fat Cal: 5

Total fat: .5 g
sat fat: 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium: 15 mg
Total Carbs 3 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar 0 g
Protein 1 g

I washed them and followed package directions and parboiled them for 3 minutes and then drained and rinsed them. I don't however, recommend taking a big wiff of them before rinsing them. They definitly have their own odor. However after the parboiling the odor was gone. I put them in my spagetti sauce for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavor and presto! I had a bowl of spagetti! They resemble angel hair pasta and they did get a little sticky but that may have been because I rinsed them after boiling. If I would have applied some olive oil they may not have stuck together. They have a springy texture almost like ala dente pasta. I can imagine they are yummy in stir fry!

I first read about these in a low carb magazine. You can email the company to find an asian store near you that carries them. http://www.house-foods.com/our_produ..._products.html Scroll down about 5 rows and you will see the package.

Good Luck!

Last edited by anchor weight; 11-08-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 PM   #2  
i luv my dog!

That's great. Thanks for posting your review and the other helpful info. I'm going to look for them soon. Sounds YUMMY.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Thanks, Amy! We have them fairly often. We live in China Town, and the Vietnamese restaurants that we frequent use them, too.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #4  
A Lily from my yard!

Tanx for the info! I'll check it out gal! haha
Old 11-09-2004, 02:07 AM   #5  

I've never had any type of tofu before, is this considered a starch?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #6  

Did you use the yam noodle or the tofu noodle, cause it kinds looks like you called it a tofu noodle but them described the yam noodle, and they are 2 different things on the link you provided.

Last edited by wendyjo; 11-09-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #7  
Trapped Skinny Person

This is one type of tufo I wouldn't mind trying. Now if I can just figure out where to get it.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #8  
We are all Beautiful!!!

SHIRATAKI
(NOODLE SHAPED TOFU)
Item Code: 04105

This is the one that I bought. I'm not sure what all the differences are but this is what I actually purchased. I think the ones that are bright white have not been cooked yet - because my package says "pre-cooked" so maybe that has something to do with the different packages. The customer service guy is very nice and helpful. He will tell you the closest place to get them. Also you could check with an Asian restaurant to see if they carry them - just so you could try them before buying a whole bag. I can't wait to make a stir-fry.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I went to my local Asian market and found these. I haven't had the nerve to try it yet, but tonight I'm going to tackle them. I was surprised they aren't very expensive. Mine were about 1.20 a package.

I always bought some of the yam noodles and yam cakes. I have to check with a Japanese friend of mine to find out what to do with them....

I'll let you know how they taste later.
Sarah
Old 11-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #10  

Still trying to find these things. I found red bean noodles at our Asian supermarket, but not tofu or yam. There were no nutritional values so I didn't want to chance it. Any Canadians know of a place to order these?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #11  

Ok, my report on the tofu noodles...not bad. I followed the directions on the back of the bag. Parboil for 2-3 minutes before preparing. Then I stir fried them in a teaspoon of olive oil and mixed some vegetables with them. It tastes pretty good.

By themselves, they have a strange taste-not flour noodle at all, but the texture is pretty firm.

I would say that this is something that I will buy in the future. One word of advice before you buy, check the expiration dates on the package at the store. When I bought mine they had some that expired a few weeks ago.

At the web site, you can email them with you address and they will send you some stores in your area that sale their products. It was very helpful. I got a response the next day.

Last edited by sarahyu; 11-15-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I just emailed them to see where we can get these in Canada. I love noodles!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Just to ask, if these are made with yams, what would the difference be between these and WW pasta regarding adding starches in your diet? Are you interested just because it's something different?

I'm just a little confused about all the interest...if made from tofu, then it would be great to have a noodle to eat that wouldn't work as my daily serving of starch, but if made from yams and I have to go nuts trying to find them, I think I can stick with buckwheat and WW noodles.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #14  

Well, for me it's because I tend to overeat wheat noodles, even the good ones like whole wheat or udan.

I shop at an Asian market on a regular basis and we have a ton of different nationality stores in my area so I can find different foods easily. And they were there, they are a small size, only 2 servings per package.

I've seen them at the store and wasn't sure if the nutritional labeling was correct or how good they were, so with Anchor weight gave it a thumbs up, I decided to give them a try.

I'm not sure I would go to any bother to find them, if they weren't at a store close by.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #15  
Trapped Skinny Person

Heidi and anyone else near Toronto

I emailed the company and was told of these two place that order the noodles from them - I haven't yet called either to confirm though.

Make sure you ask for the TOFU noodles - not just regular Shirataki (which is yam flour), unless that is what you want.

1) Heisei Mart
3160 Steeles Ave. E Unit 8-11
Markham, Ontario L3R 4G9 (905) 305-0108

2) Japan Shopping Mar
30 Eglinton West, C12
Mississauga, Ontario L5R 3E7 (905) 712-4447

I'm going to call the one on Steeles later this morn - as that is the one I am closest to, to see if they have any in stock and get some on Thurs if they do.

P.S. Heidi - I see we share the same occupation and in the same city - maybe we have worked together b4? Do you do contracting?

Kim

Last edited by Bups; 11-16-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Closed Thread