South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:17 PM   #1  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

Default SBD Fame: My husband's newspaper column!

Here is the column I was telling you all about last week. My husband is the sport's editor of the local paper, and this was his weekly column last week. It's about he and I being on the SBD!

There it was, sitting lonely in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
It looked like a piece of wood, but on closer inspection, it was a jilted remainder of a cinnamon roll.
Since going on my diet the day after Labor Day, I have not eaten anything sweet. No candy. No cookies. No cakes.
And definitely, no cinnamon rolls.
Oh, sure, I have my weak moments where I crave sugary foods. And when I walked by that cinnamon roll Tuesday night, there was this brief thought: Hey, that looks pretty good.
But alas, I had to just keep walking.
I’ve had several opportunities in the last few weeks to indulge in a piece a cake here and there. But proudly, I can say that I’m still unsweetened.
Lauren and I are on the South Beach Diet. Arthur Agatston, who developed the South Beach Diet, stresses that the diet is not low-carb or low fat. But the diet is intended for people to rely on the “right” carbs and the “right” fats.
Regardless, I was skeptical of the whole low-carb craze, but I’m a believer now. Getting rid of carbohydrates really means getting rid of sugar. For the first two weeks of the diet (we extended it to three weeks), you are not allowed to eat bread, potatoes or sugar of any kind. That includes fruits and fruit juices, such as orange juice.
I was practically a spokesman for Tropicana orange juice; now I have to drink milk or water in the morning. I haven’t guzzled this much milk since I was in elementary school.
But you know what? The diet works. I’ve lost 10 pounds, and I’d like to lose 10 more. Even Steve Latname noticed a difference when he saw me in the Missouri Western press box a couple of weeks ago. (I had to turn down press box pizza that day, by the way.)
Somewhere in Seattle, my brother would be proud of me. Before my wedding, he sat me down for a little “we need to talk about the weight gain” talk. Dad’s been on me like a cheap suit for a few years now, pleading with me to lose weight.
One of my friends went on the South Beach Diet, and at my bachelor party dinner, I was shocked at how skinny he was. Some of the more famous people who went on the South Beach Diet are Bill Clinton (no, it didn’t cause him to have heart surgery) and Dennis Franz, better known as Sipowicz on “NYPD Blue.” (Is his butt looking smaller?)
The idea of the South Beach Diet is that sugar makes you hungrier. The less sugar you take in, the less hungry you’ll feel. The diet encourages you to eat peanuts or Jell-O between meals. A dessert after dinner is OK, too, provided that it’s sugar-free. Plus, you can still eat red meat, chicken, fish, eggs and cheese.
It’s not surprising that companies such as Dolly Madison are struggling with this low-carb craze. I worry for our own Dolly Madison plant in Emporia. But I just don’t think people, once they’re on a diet such as South Beach, will go back to putting sugary crap in their mouths.
Which gets us back to that broken-off piece of cinnamon roll. I passed it again on our way back to the car, and a third time when I put the shopping cart away. There were no urges anymore. I was at peace with myself and at peace with the piece of cinnamon roll.
Find another taker, cinnamon roll. Find another taker.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great! And your DH sounds like he supports you well! Thanks for posting this.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #3  

Thanks -- the funny part is you'd think he were fat!! He only has 15 or so more to lose!! He's already in onderland!!! And I have miles and miles yet to go!!!

Lauren
Old 10-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

MMMMMM....cinnamon roll

This is a great article! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #5  

I laughed at being tempted by a cinnamon roll on the ground, but then thought about it and realized it might have done me in a few months ago! I hope you dh is right about us never wanting to put that crap into our mouths again.

I have heard various companies and organizations (wheat board) complaining about the low carb craze and my response is that they need to pay attention to what the market is saying and make something we want to eat. I would love to have whole grain bread without a heap of sugar in it. I'd love to buy some convenience foods that aren't just a topping on a bowl of rice or noodles. I'd love to have a healthier cinnamon bun for a treat now and then. Why do they keep complaining instead of coming up with these things that will sell????? My rant for the day lol!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #6  
There is no try, only DO

Heidi,

My hubby said he saw "low carb croissants" at Dunkin' Donuts the other day when he stopped for coffee.

God have mercy.. how much longer till I'm on phase 2?
I love croissants, if I can indulge in one every once in a blue moon I'll be a happy girl.

So, it seems someone out there is listening to what we want.. hopefully more will follow.

Heather
Old 10-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Heather, I hate to break the news to you but.... the low carb croissants probably aren't OP even for Phase 2, depending what they put in them. It is generally a good idea to stay away from things that aren't normally low carb that claim to be, if that makes sense. Aim for some whole grain breads and the such if anything. Of course I won't tell if you indulge in such an item but I'd be wary of low carb croissants.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #8  
Just Me

Sorry for 2 messages, but I was curious about the croissant and I did some digging.

This weekend, I went to Atlanta Bread Company, which let me tell you is a challenge for someone on SBD because of all the bad yumminess They were advertising their low carb bread and bagels and my clue in that it would probably be a no no is it said 5grams of carbs even though it claimed to be "multi grain". Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the ingredients anywhere. I did decide to go with half a sourdough turkey sandwich and half a salad. The sourdough bread is probably the only bread there that is acceptable, unfortunately.

So back to the croissants. I decided to go look for their ingredients and here is a link to the page: https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus...kery&id=DD-799

I'd definitely say it is a no but again I won't tell 370 calories with 220 of calories as fat is a lot though.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:41 PM   #9  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Lauren,

What a great column. MMMM cinnamon rolls....is exactly right. Especially the big huge ooey gooey ones. It is so funny to read his perspective. When I was just beginning and I was STARVING!!! I was pumping gas next to a pizza joint and it was about 7 pm and all you could smell was pizza everywhere!!!! I started thinking that it should be illegal to pump pizza smell into the air like that!

You must be proud of your hubby - he seems to have intellegient wit.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #10  
Just Me

A good tip if you want to cheat (not that I recommend it) is to buy something and take it to work with you or make something and take it to work with you. Making it does provide a bit more temptation. Today at the store, I noticed a new product which was Cheesecake Factory cheesecake variety pack. I had the momentary thought of buying it (but only momentary) and then what would I have done with an entire cheesecake worth of cheesecake? If I really really wanted it, I'd take it to work and have 1 piece that way I could have it and not have to have it at home.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:09 PM   #11  

I love it Lauren! Thanks for posting it!

Anchor weight, I can COMPLETELY sympathize with your "pizza aroma story." HAHA! I started SBD in August when it was still warm and I used to keep the windows open. There's a window right next to my desk and I work at home. Two doors down, there's a sub/pizza shop. Now, when I wasn't on SBD, I rarely ordered from there (I didn't like their pizza -- which I am so grateful for!! Mostly, I ordered their grilled chicken salad (read: unhealthy high fat salad with pita bread...) but that first week of phase one... that pizza smelled like the best pizza in the whole world -- and you could smell the french fries too! LOL Funny how the smells drifting over from there never bothered me before.

An update on the situation: last week, the sub shop closed after being open for about 4 years... I can't say I am sorry to see them go.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #12  
There is no try, only DO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
I'd definitely say it is a no but again I won't tell 370 calories with 220 of calories as fat is a lot though.
WHOA big fat! Thanks for the digging nelie!!

I wasn't planning to have them all so often, but I figured once in a great while as a reward for sticking to plan would be nice. I think I shall reconsider now seeing that they are so loaded with fat. I'm sure they don't taste as good as the regular croissants anyway (and I will keep telling myself this until I believe it and don't want them anymore haha!).

Reading up on ingredients hasn't been my strong suit and I'm working to change that. Seeing what's in that croissant is a reminder that I do need to be more dilligent.

Heather
Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Great article, Lauren!
Reminds me of a Smartie I found once when sweeping under our bed...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #14  
A Lily from my yard!

Great story! I am sure we can all relate to an encounter or two with O(off)P foods!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #15  

Ha, ha, ha! Ellis -- A smartie under the bed!!!! Ha, ha! You are TOO funny!! I can relate, I found a cereal bar in my nightstand this weekend. I just left it there -- I am afraid to even touch it! Ha!!!

Thanks, Amy, I am proud of my hubby. He's a very talented writer. That's one of the things that I loved about him from the very beginning -- when we first started dating he always brought me the sports section so I could read his article that day. Isn't that cute? I have a HUGE box in my office closet filled with his papers from back then. Now his biggest complaint is I don't read his stories anymore. Wait a minute -- I thought that was part of the getting married deal! Ha, ha!

Anyway, I am glad you all enjoyed it!!

Lauren
Closed Thread